Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Gaming Discussion

Bioshock Infinite.

< Prev 1 2 3 ... 7 Next >

03.27.2013 1:12pm
Thread Creator

Id82
Fuck Shit Stack.

So uh yeah...... Just finished this masterpiece. I couldn't put it down I had to keep playing till the end.
And while some plot points are still confusing I think I understand most of what happened.

Spoiler: Move your mouse over the container to reveal.
I still don't know what Song Bird was. I know he was Elizabeth's protector. But is it ever discussed what the origins of it was? Just who was it. I'm assuming it was an automaton of some kind, but was it a robot or a person inside of it?

Jump to Post

03.27.2013 1:52pm

Colinp42
Registered Member

I'm gonna pick it up when I can get it cheap used.  Don't really want to go above $20.  Someone is giving me the 1st game since he's getting the free digital version, and I have the 2nd from PS+.

Jump to Post

03.27.2013 1:55pm

Som
Genitals are Funny

I'm not very far into it, just saw Chen Li for the first time. But so far it's great. One small thing is i'm playing on normal and my god it seems easy. 

But my god is it a pretty game, and i thought it would be a long time till a game impressed me more than crysis 3.

Jump to Post

03.27.2013 2:15pm

Clowd Cole
Dangerous Zombie

Its been years since I was so obsessed with the beauty of a game ive slowly walked though looking at everything. 

Im not even an hour in and I can already tell Irrational Games has built a masterpeice and a prime example of gaming as an artform. 

Buggle Up! Danger! Danger! (Genocide!) Death the Crisis! Dangerous Zombie!

Jump to Post

03.27.2013 2:20pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

Colinp42 said:

I'm gonna pick it up when I can get it cheap used.  Don't really want to go above $20.  Someone is giving me the 1st game since he's getting the free digital version, and I have the 2nd from PS+.

FWIW, and I didn't know this until I picked up my copy yestereday--BS:I comes with BS:1, which I realize suddenly is a terribly set of abbreviations.  At least my PS3 copy did.

Anyways: just got dropped off after meeting Fitzroy.  Love love loving this game.  I wish I was a better shot, I waste a lot of salt--which is why I mostly have been using Devil's Kiss just because it requires less accuracy to lob a fireball.

There's something ludicrously satisfying about shooting up a thinly-veiled KKK rally while an old white dude rants in my ear about how great white dudes are.  "Oh, these guys are terrible.  Please tell me I get to shoot these guys.  Please tell me I get to shoot--I get to shoot these guys, awesome!"

I also really enjoy that Columbia is an active, populated city.  Populated, specifically, not with gibbering maniac mutants.

Jump to Post

03.27.2013 6:37pm
Thread Creator

Id82
Fuck Shit Stack.

Well it is filled with Maniacs. Just not mutants. Unless you want to call Handy Men mutants of some sort.

Jump to Post

03.27.2013 6:52pm

Colinp42
Registered Member

reido said:

FWIW, and I didn't know this until I picked up my copy yestereday--BS:I comes with BS:1, which I realize suddenly is a terribly set of abbreviations.  At least my PS3 copy did.

Yeah, that's why I'm being given a physical copy, because this guy is getting the free digital copy.  Just gives me the freedom to be able to buy it used - I was going to wait until it got cheaper and get it new.

Jump to Post

03.27.2013 6:52pm

Darth Howie
Darthpool
Administrator

Songbird was created by Jeremiah Fink to be "both less and more than human." That's about all I could figure out from the audio logs I found. There's a small boatload I missed. I think I was about 20 short of the achievement, so there might be more.

Finished the game. Liked it quite a lot, but not for the reasons I would've expected. I think I liked the story of the first one better on the whole, but Inifite is still a really awesome game and has vastly superior gameplay. Totally recommend it.

Woe unto he who tries to be helpful, for upon him shall be lain the burdens of all.

- Squall 15:11

Jump to Post

03.27.2013 6:54pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

Id82 said:

Well it is filled with Maniacs. Just not mutants. Unless you want to call Handy Men mutants of some sort.

I spent way longer than I should have figuring out my specific word choice, because every time I thought about it I was like, "Well, all these people are crazy."

Jump to Post

03.27.2013 8:57pm
Thread Creator

Id82
Fuck Shit Stack.

So after processing the ending this is how I interpret it:

So the game is stuck in a sort of infinite loop. Booker Dewitt took part in the battle of wounded knee and killed a lot of native americans and basically saw some shit. After the battle he felt really bad for what he did so he went to go get baptised of his sins but just before getting baptised he refuses. He then slips into a life of alcoholism and gambling and at some point has Anna. It's not really explained how and no mother is ever revealed. Then one day the Male version of Lutece comes and asks for the baby offering to wipe Booker's slate clean in doing so. Booker hesitates but offers Anna to the man to wipe away his debt. Booker having felt really bad for what he did tries to get Anna back but is too late as Comstock and the Luteces pull Anna through a tear which ends up severing her pinky. Booker gets really depressed at this point. He carves AD on the back of his wrist which means Anna Dewitt. Then at some in the future he returns to the preacher to be baptised of his sins and then changes his name to Zachary Hale Comstock.

This is where things get a little confusing to me. I think Booker now Comstock gets in touch with Rosalind Lutece and her twin brother finding out that they are the same person but from different dimensions. They demonstrate that they can create tears into alternate times and show Comstock how this is done. He gains foreknowledge of the future because of this, and is able to become a prophet of sorts because he can predict the future through these tears. Somehow Comstock is able to gain a fortune of money and decides to build Colombia. This is where I'm not sure of things. I don't know why he chose to build Colombia and I'm not sure where is jingoist philosophys come from and how he manages to create a society that basically worships the founding fathers as Gods since it's never really shown much in his past.  I'm not sure if I missed this part. But basically he is seen as a prophet by the people in this new paradise because he can see into the future. He at some point gets married to Lady Comstock as well.

So the Luteces and Comstock do some research for a while and find an alternate Booker from the past that has Anna. This is when Comstock hatches his scheme to take Anna away from that Booker and to bring her back to him. So he sends Robert Lutece back in time into that alternate world to wipe away that Bookers debt and basically take Anna back for his own. I'm not sure whey he renames her Elizabeth, maybe to through Booker off into thinking she's not Anna? He then hides Elizabeth away in the Angel statue and makes Song Bird protect her because he knows that Booker is going to come looking for her thanks to the helps of the Luteces. The Luteces then experiment on her which awakens her powers to create tears. They create the Siphon to limit her powers so she can't just up and leave Colombia. Comstock then he creates the false shepard story to turn his people against him and protect Elizabeth.
Lady Comstock now suspicious of Comstock starts questioning where the baby came from and even blames Rosalind for an affair. Rosalind explains where the baby came from but Lady Comstock doesn't believe her. At his point I'm not sure if its Comstock or his wife that kill the Luteces. But I know that Comstock kills his wife and blames it on the Vox who are starting to uprise around his city and going against his nationalistic racial pride. Comstock is also aged considerably due to messing with all the tears so he now appears as an old man when he should only be 38.

The Luteces some how get stuck in a world between life and death and can pretty much appear anywhere at anytime perhaps due to there mastery of figuring out how to use the tears. Feeling sympathy for Booker they go back in time to just before he was baptised and bring him to 1912 in order to save Elizabeth from himself. Now as displayed there could be hundreds and thousands of versions of how Booker's adventure through Colombia goes. One is where he dies while joining the Vox and never makes it to Elizabeth. Another is where he has to get tools for Cheng and another is where he has to get weapons for the Vox. Another version shows Booker never returning to save Elizabeth and she therefore orders an attack on New York City due to his prophecy that he had. The infinite dimensions create tears that happen all over Colombia. Anyway Booker goes on his adventure in your playthrough and finds out the truth, and the only way to stop this infinite time loop is to kill Comstock, and he achieves this by having Elizabeth drown him before he can become baptised as Comstock.

After the credits I think it is implied that Booker is in a world where he has Anna.

One thing I'm wondering is does the old Comstock have the A and D carved into the back of his hand as well?

That's pretty much my lengthy synopsis of what I think happens. If anyone has other views correct me if I'm wrong.

Jump to Post

03.28.2013 3:15am

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

That spoiler is so big when I loaded the page my mouse was already in it!  Thankfully I didn't read anything, but I think I'm'a exit stage left before that happens again.

Jump to Post

03.28.2013 11:39am
 (Edited on 03.28.2013 at 11:54am)

Zo
another blue ribbon

Had a plot summary posted here, but it's still a little premature and I'd hate for anyone to get spoiled accidentally. ID's summary is pretty accurate.

One of the best - if not THE best game i've ever played. If you were going to give this a pass, you are doing yourself a disservice. 

Also I love how they don't agonise about explaining the powers like they did in the first Bioshock.

Bioshock: "Well you see, there's this substance called ADAM, and it rewrites your genetics see, and there was this arms race to create the most powerful plasmids, which is what led to their development. And they run off a special power called Eve, because of biblical references.

Infinite: "Ya drink this? MAGIC! And it all runs off salts. Have fun!"

Jump to Post

03.28.2013 6:57pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

Practical gameplay question:
Is there a way to take off gear without replacing it?  Like... I got these boots, they're the only boots I've found, that give me a +25% damage bonus when I aim, which is great!  But they also give me a -25% damage penalty when I shoot from the hip.

I've been skulking around with a sniper rifle to take advantage of this but I tend to fall back on my machine gun when I'm forced to run-and-gun, and frankly I'm a terrible shot and even worse when I have to use the sights on it.  So I want to take these boots off but I can't figure out a way too.

Jump to Post

03.28.2013 7:44pm

Man of the Sea
This space for rent

Finished it last night around 5 AM after marathoning the last 5-6 hours.  It's not that I was trying to speed through the game as fast as I could -- I just couldn't put it down.  I was chatting w/ my brother and said this was probably the first game to draw me in to that degree since Ocarina of Time; it's just... fucking brilliant.

Everything -- the story, the characters, the setting, the combat, the vigors, the level design, the skyline, the FUCKING MUSIC HOLY SHIT, and Elizabeth herself -- was so masterfully done.  Especially the story; this, in my opinion, is how you properly tell a story in a video game.

Kudos to Ken Levine and everyone at Irrational for what might beat out Red Dead Redemption for my "Game of the Generation."  I hope we get more like this next gen.

Two last things tho, before I pass out from exhaustion:

1. Comstock was no Andrew Ryan, which is my one real criticism.
2. Best Easter Egg EVER

Jump to Post

03.28.2013 10:29pm

shooter_mcgavin
Registered Member

Im thinking of getting this but I have unplayed copies of Bioshock 1 and 2. Wondering if I should actually play those games first.

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 2 3 ... 7 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter