Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Gaming Discussion

Bioshock Infinite.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 ... 7 Next >

03.28.2013 11:21pm

Rhaegar
World Warrior 21007

I haven't been able to get this yet, but I hear this game pretty much has nothing to do with Bioshock 1 and 2.

Definitely play 1 at some time, though. Take it or leave it on 2.

Jump to Post

03.28.2013 11:23pm

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

As I understand it, Bioshock Infinite has nothing to do with BS1 and 2 in terms of plot or setting. Though the gameplay is apparently leaps and bounds better so the previous 2 games might be lacking in that department after playing Infinite.

BS2 plays a lot better than the first game, but the plot and atmosphere aren't nearly as strong.

Jump to Post

03.28.2013 11:38pm

Som
Genitals are Funny

Has anyone spent time to stop and listen to the songs played on the gramaphones? So far i've heard old timey covers of Tainted Love and another song i recognised. 

Jump to Post

03.29.2013 1:54am

Seelas
I want to go back.

I was one of the devs on Infinite and it's wonderful to see such a positive reaction to the game. I'm hesitant to say much more than that for fear of letting something slip, but I'm very happy you're all enjoying it.

Jump to Post

03.29.2013 2:44am
Thread Creator

Id82
Fuck Shit Stack.

Som said:

Has anyone spent time to stop and listen to the songs played on the gramaphones? So far i've heard old timey covers of Tainted Love and another song i recognised. 

Yeah in the beginning theres an acapela version of God only knows by the Beach Boys,
There's also a calliope version of girls just want to have fun by Cyndi Lauper. But the game takes place in 1912.

Jump to Post

03.29.2013 2:54am
 (Edited on 03.29.2013 at 3:00am)

Zo
another blue ribbon

Anyone who liked Bioshock 1 should give Bioshock 2 a go. It's not an essential game but it is a very good one, and an excellent way to reacquaint yourself with Rapture if you find yourself missing it after 1. Plus it has some amazing DLC in the form of Minerva's Den.

Also been listening to that barbershop quarter cover of God Only Knows on repeat. God DAMN the sound design in this game is good!

I think my one real gripe with this game is that Columbia the world gives way to Columbia the combat arena waaaay too soon. I loved exploring this amazing world as it was, with the people in it - going through areas like Battleship Bay, getting lost in this city the way it would have been so cool to do with Rapture. And then it just becomes a series of battlefields filled either with Founder or Vox Populi troops, which was fine, but it wasn't what I wanted. How cool would an open world Bioshock Infinite have been!

Jump to Post

03.29.2013 5:30am

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

I just got this today and played about 2 hours so far. BRILLIANT game, living up to my hype of it!!

Jump to Post

03.29.2013 8:45am

Som
Genitals are Funny

Id82 said:

Yeah in the beginning theres an acapela version of God only knows by the Beach Boys,
There's also a calliope version of girls just want to have fun by Cyndi Lauper. But the game takes place in 1912.
I'll spoiler tag this just incase

Spoiler: Move your mouse over the container to reveal.
I just went past a part before where i could hear the normal version of Girls just want to have fun, i think it explained the music a bit, there was a recording there i listened to where it seemed like someone was getting 'hits' from our time and getting to Columbia where they were remade old timey.

Jump to Post

03.29.2013 4:17pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

Jump to Post

03.29.2013 4:48pm

Som
Genitals are Funny

Again, just in case i'll spoiler tag this. Not a story spoiler but i mention something that happens.

I've said it before in other topics, i'm a giant sissy pants when it comes to scary games. Never got far in Bioshock 1 because FUCK THAT DENTIST!. Well i was adoring everything in Infinite till they did it to me again. Top of Comstock's tower or whatever it is, pull the lever  and one of those god damn fucking guys with trumpets for ears is standing right behind me.

I'll still finish and still love it, but seriously fuck you Bioshock.

Jump to Post

03.31.2013 4:57pm

Zo
another blue ribbon

The Boys of Silence! Yeah, those were creepy as all hell. Underused though.

Also I'm so glad I wasn't the only one who thought of Elizabeth as my own companion Belle from Beauty and the Beast. At least, until she
goes a bit dark, starts wanting to cut off the dead Lady Comstock's hand and murder Comstock himself.

Jump to Post

04.01.2013 5:24am
 (Edited on 04.01.2013 at 5:40am)

Lord Snow
Super Lurker

I just finished this and after a lot of thought, I don't think the interpretation by ID is quite right.

I know a lot of this is repetition, but a big chunk of it was really for my own understanding and benefit. I was pretty confused after the game ended and took me a while to puzzle through how it must have gone down and writing it out helped haha. 

The main problem I have with it is that I'm pretty sure that the Booker who is Comstock has NEVER had a daughter.

The baptism scene shown at the end, the one Booker attends after his experiences at Wounded Knee is the key.

That's essentially the place from where the entire story branches out from.

There are two important realities that stem from that baptism.

Reality A: Booker accepts the baptism and reemerges as ZH Comstock, who has a vision and builds Columbia.
Reality B: Booker rejects the baptism and returns home to New York.

I think the two universes run concurrently, side by side.

So as Comstock has his vision and builds up the funds to build Columbia, Booker lives his life in New York, has a daughter (no idea what happens to the mother) and racks up a huge debt.

Comstock funds the research of Rosalind Lutece, who's experimenting with a form of levitation (though she scoffs at the use of that word), and the idea of alternate dimensions.

Through her experiments, Rosalind discovers the existence of a multiverse when her male counterpart runs the same experiment at the same time, allowing them to communicate, first by morse code and then by building a device that yanks him physically over into Reality A.

There's a voxophone recording where she talks about how he's struggling with the cognitive dissonance of comprehending both realities at once, but that she can help him through it because they're together.

Through their continued experiments and observations, Lutece is able to advise Comstock on the future of probabilities, allowing him to make fairly accurate guesses and to claim himself a Prophet.

Everything is going well for Comstock except for one thing, he has no child to continue on his legacy.

There's a voxophone recording where he's frustrated and angry, ranting about how he's done all that a man is expected to do but still there's no child.

Rosalind Lutece mentions in a following recording that Comstock is completely infertile. She blames that and his advanced aging as a product of being too close to their experiments the tears. 

So the Luteces offer him an alternative. 

They can search the alternate universes for one where his alternate self had given birth, and in that way, he can have his child. 

And so they do. That would be the sequence near the big reveal where Booker sells his daughter to the male Lutece to wipe away his debt. Booker regrets this almost immediately and tries to get her back, but Anna loses the tip of her pinky finger as the tear closes over her. 

Comstock has his daughter. But him and the Luteces discover her ability to manipulate tears. I'm not sure if there's a recording that explains quite why Liz has the powers she does. Someone on another forum put forth the idea that Liz gained her abilities from the way she lost her pinky finger (and it seems to make the most sense to me):

"I personally believe that the pinky existing in another dimension isn't the direct cause for Elizabeth's powers, and it's instead a direct result of being physically intersected by a closing tear.

If it was enough to just leave bodily matter behind in a different dimension, I would think Booker would have blood and viscera strewn across several dimensions just due to being occasionally beaten and shot, not to mention things like normal dead skin shedding, strands of hair, etc. And yet, he never develops any Tear-related abilities.

If you think of the edges of the portal as the blade of a knife, what if it's not a perfectly, infinitely sharp edge? What if when stepping between Universe A and Universe B, there's actually an infinitesimally small period of time you're passing through the "void between dimensions?"

Therefore, I don't think it's that Elizabeth is in Universe B and her pinky finger is in Universe A - I think it's that a tiny, tiny bit of her being stayed "on the blade" so to speak, and actually exists *outside* any defined dimension."

Comstock builds the Siphon and traps Liz in the tower to keep her from using her powers in a way that Comstock doesn't approve of. 

Then comes all the suspicion from Lady Comstock, who wants to know where the child came from. Comstock kills her. He also tries to kill the Luteces by fucking around with their machine but they don't end up dead, they end up lost among the multiverses.

The male Lutece starts feeling some regret about what they've done. He feels the need to make things right and presents the female Lutece with an ultimatum: Help return the girl to the right universe or part from one another forever. Rosalind Lutece doesn't quite agree....but he's essentially the alternate version of herself so she decides to help him anyway. 

So you arrive at Columbia at the start of the game, go through your adventure and realize, with Elizabeth's help, that the only way to stop this from happening in ALL universes (remembering that if Comstock is 'born' in ANY universe, it'll all spill over to ALL universes due to the fact that he ends up kidnapping Anna) is to go to the initial branching point (the baptism) and prevent Comstock from ever being born, thereby wiping away EVER branch of universe where Comstock lives, builds Columbia and ends up stealing a child. 

Post credit scene with Booker back in his room, looking to see if Anna is there...maybe a note of hope and an indication that there can be a universe where they live a normal life together?

The only real hole is IF all this is right, how did Booker end up going to Columbia to "bring us the girl and wipe away the debt" if all along, that whole line about wiping away the debt was a haunting echo of what he'd ALREADY gone through when selling his daughter? 

The only real explanation I can come up with is that the Luteces, given their higgery jiggery powers with multiverses and time were able to manipulate and bring Booker to the point where he's on the boat being rowed to the lighthouse to start the game.

EDIT: Bit of reading around, there was a vox recording from Lutece stating that a mind that was strong-willed enough can be taken to a new reality and their mind would fill in the blanks, giving themself a plausible past and explanation for events, even without having lived them out. 

There's also another recording that stated that the more things interacted with different realities, the more the constants would homogenize, leaving only the variables to play out. 

Evidence shown in the game that Booker's gone through this process of trying to rescue his daughter from Comstock in Columbia AT LEAST over 100 times before. So if the idea of constant ideas growing more and more similar holds, maybe the whole "bring us the girl and wipe away the debt" idea is one that you (player Booker) conflates from his experiences with the other realities? 

Jump to Post

04.01.2013 5:58am

Ashilyn
Career GM

Just finished the game. I mean, holy shit. My head hurts a bit, but the whole thing was brilliant. Playing it in 1999 Mode may not have been the wisest choice, but it made te game last a whole week and was insanely rewarding. Over all it was a gaming expeiance I haven't had in a while, and I loved it.

Jump to Post

04.01.2013 11:55am

Som
Genitals are Funny

Finished it as well yesterday.While not a confusing mess like a MGS game ending, after reading a summary or 2 i can honestly say it was the best ending i've seen in a very long time.

the best parts were Rature, and that there was no bullshit 'sequal bitches' in the ending. everything was wrapped up.

Jump to Post

04.01.2013 1:31pm

Colinp42
Registered Member

Gaaagh!  All these spoilers are making me want the game now!  And I have $10 to spend at Best Buy!  But it will go down more than that eventually...

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 2 3 4 ... 7 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter