Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Gaming Discussion

Nintendo just sold me on the WiiU... and I'm sad.

< Prev 1 2 3 Next >

10.01.2013 8:38pm
Thread Creator (Edited on 10.01.2013 at 8:44pm)

Scribe
The Taru

Okay so I've been VERY anti WiiU since it has launched. I felt that it was too expensive, too outdated tech, and not enough good titles on it. New Super Mario WiiU or whatever it's called just looked like the first one on Wii but with new levels and hd graphics. While it may be fun to play it was not enough to get me to buy the system which was 350-400$. Wind Waker HD chipped a little at me since that is my favorite Zelda. Outside of that nothing looked appealing and what I had seen of Super Mario 3D world I was not impressed.

Then today happened. And before I explain what happened today, I need to give you the information that both of my kids are currently playing Ocarina of Time at the same time in different rooms and this started two weeekends ago. One is on my original launch wii (which is dying and has been replaced but had the DLC I didn't want to purchase again such as OOT) and the other is on my Asus TF700T using a usb n64 controller. An added sidenote is the 3 of us enjoyed playing New SMB on Wii together a lot!

And then this happened:

Now this trailer took me back to SMW and SMB3. Back to the early 90s. I want this game badly and now am sad that I have to admit as long as Nintendo makes good Zelda Mario and Metroid games I will buy their hardware </3.

So I looked to see the deal with Zelda WiiU bundle and went over my situtation in my head.

• I have a ton of Wiimotes that can be used with WiiU
  • I can transfer my DLC of my dying Wii so it's not lost (maybe 100-150 bucks worth of vc games)
  • I get an updated version of Wind Waker (again my favorite of the franchise) which my kids can play once they've finished OOT
  • My Wii Library will still be of use.
  • Wii games now can be ran just from the Tablet
  • There will be 3 Mario games (NSMBU NWLU and The above game) by November
  • Priced at 300$ I get a 50$ game included and save money on accessories since I have so many wiimotes. So $250 is only $50 more than what I paid for my SNES.... sold.

I went to the gamestop by my house and the rep told me they were sold out of the limited console day 1. I asked him to search around town to see if the other locations had any. He said there actually was one in the back. I asked him to hold it until Friday when I will come in and scoop it up. Nintendo got me this gen.... I really didn't think they would but look at that freaking trailer man....

Jump to Post

10.01.2013 11:40pm

Indiana Jerico
Sinfully Delicious v2
Administrator

The only reason why the Wii U was a horrible purchase since launch was due to the horrible lack of games. That has been rectified since then. There really is no reason not to own one now, unless you're one of those "Bbu-bu-bu-but HARDWARE! And POWER!" type of guys, which is moronic anyway.

Nintendo is the last bastion of pure gaming. Sony and Microsoft are all for graphics and flash, although Sony seems to want to go back to the awesome PS1 days. Really, Nintendo offers different gaming style and it should be an awesome companion to either "hardcore" consoles.

===

"Plans? What plans? I'm making this up as I go!"

Jump to Post

10.02.2013 3:01am

Id82
Fuck Shit Stack.

I'm beginning to want to get one more and more now especially for the new smash bros game just so I can play as Mega man.

Jump to Post

10.02.2013 3:51am

Ramses
Registered Member

I want one, and my will power is starting to fade.  All ready have 3 games for it and would love NSMB, NSLB, and Pikmin 3.  Only thing that the PS4 or XBox 3 is offering that I want so far is Dead Rising 3.

2011 FFO Fantasy Football Champion

Jump to Post

10.02.2013 4:45am

Nelfichu
I've been there, hombre.

Oh man, between the Goomba suit and the shadow world, that game looks insanely fun.

Jump to Post

10.02.2013 5:28am

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

Indiana Jerico said:

The only reason why the Wii U was a horrible purchase since launch was due to the horrible lack of games. That has been rectified since then. There really is no reason not to own one now, unless you're one of those "Bbu-bu-bu-but HARDWARE! And POWER!" type of guys, which is moronic anyway.

Nintendo is the last bastion of pure gaming. Sony and Microsoft are all for graphics and flash, although Sony seems to want to go back to the awesome PS1 days. Really, Nintendo offers different gaming style and it should be an awesome companion to either "hardcore" consoles.

===

That's quite the hyperbole for a system with one game worth owning right now.  And a shit controller.

Jump to Post

10.02.2013 10:34am

Indiana Jerico
Sinfully Delicious v2
Administrator

Feedback about the controller is that it's supposed to be real comfortable once you try it out. And Off-TV play is supposed to be an awesome experience.

Right now, Wii U has Pikmin 3, The Wonderful 101, ZombiU, Lego City Undercover, NSMBU, NSLU and (for those who missed it the first time around) The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD. Then, in the next couple of months, there's Sonic: Lost World, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, and Super Mario 3D World.

Now, those may not be the cup of tea for some, but they are games which won't be found on PS4 and Xbone. And from what I hear, those games are all quite good/great. Like I said, the Wii U will be a good companion console for the PS4 and the Xbone, most of which will probably share the same genre/multiplats anyway.

Really, right now, the problem that Nintendo should overcome is to have people actually test the damn thing.

===

Jump to Post

10.02.2013 11:40am

The Hulk
Good Boy

Off-tv play is a handy feature is about the sum of my praise for the Wii U.  No idea why Sony don't utilize it with the Vita a hell of a lot more than they currently do.  The vast majority of games are playable to completion with it.

Jump to Post

10.02.2013 3:54pm

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

Indiana Jerico said:

Feedback about the controller is that it's supposed to be real comfortable once you try it out. And Off-TV play is supposed to be an awesome experience.

Right now, Wii U has Pikmin 3, The Wonderful 101, ZombiU, Lego City Undercover, NSMBU, NSLU and (for those who missed it the first time around) The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD. Then, in the next couple of months, there's Sonic: Lost World, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, and Super Mario 3D World.

Now, those may not be the cup of tea for some, but they are games which won't be found on PS4 and Xbone. And from what I hear, those games are all quite good/great. Like I said, the Wii U will be a good companion console for the PS4 and the Xbone, most of which will probably share the same genre/multiplats anyway.

Really, right now, the problem that Nintendo should overcome is to have people actually test the damn thing.

===

I say the controller is shit from firsthand experience. The thing has been out for nearly a year, with demo units in every major game and toy store out there. It's clumsy and awkward to use.

The problem Nintendo should overcome is having a library of games people actually want. They don't have that at all and the overall awful sales for both the system and the games reflect that. This isn't good considering this is the first system Nintendo's ever made that is sold at a loss.

Jump to Post

10.02.2013 4:14pm

shooter_mcgavin
Registered Member

The Hulk said:

Off-tv play is a handy feature is about the sum of my praise for the Wii U.  No idea why Sony don't utilize it with the Vita a hell of a lot more than they currently do.  The vast majority of games are playable to completion with it.

Pricing and cost I guess ... adding some wireless connection between the PS4 and Vita will make the console cost extra. Especially when the Vita is out already it's possible the earlier SKU's wont have that feature.

I mean as for the Wii U, ins't the tablet control pad is what making it hard for Nintendo the drop the price (which in turn hurts their sales)?

Jump to Post

10.02.2013 6:41pm
 (Edited on 10.02.2013 at 6:53pm)

Ashilyn
Career GM

shooter_mcgavin said:

Pricing and cost I guess ... adding some wireless connection between the PS4 and Vita will make the console cost extra. Especially when the Vita is out already it's possible the earlier SKU's wont have that feature.

I mean as for the Wii U, ins't the tablet control pad is what making it hard for Nintendo the drop the price (which in turn hurts their sales)?

Actually, connectivity betrween consoles would be trivial in terms of cost, and as easy as adding it in a firmware update. The Vita and the PS3 play well with each other out of the box - any model of PS3 - and the same will be true of any model of Vita and the PS4. The vita being out already actually works to ENSURE that any model will work, since they already know how that connectivity works.

Indiana Jerico said:

===

Anyonwe who told you ZombiU is good is lying. That was one of the biggest citical and commercial failures for the system, iirc, and I certainly felt what I played of it was absolute shit.

Personally, I have to agree with Matt. The controller is shit, from personal experiance. Off TV play is cool - that's cool with anything and is one of the biggest reasons I'm looking forward to getting a PS4 to go with my Vita. But does it sell a system, much less one with a shitty library? Nope.

And yeah, shitty library. I will concede that you can't get those games anywhere else. But I think the only geuinely exciting games in that list  to the average gamer who isn't buying Mario or Zelda simply because they're Mario and Zelda (both franchises I more or less stopped caring about a long time ago) are Pikmin and Sonic. Having exclusives doesn't mean much if no one wants to play them, and judging from the sales, that's exactly the problem. It doens't help trhat everything else is largely inferiour ports of games from the other consoles, usually missing features, with lower quality graphics, or missing add on content.

I can't fathom why anyone would own a WiiU when they could get another console with what's ultimately a better lineup of games on a controller that doesn't blow, or get a PC. And it has nothing to do with graphics or power (though, at the end of the day, that DOES matter, even if only a little bit). It's because it has nothing to sell me, or apparently, many other people.

Jump to Post

10.02.2013 7:15pm

The Hulk
Good Boy

That's what I'm saying though, the Vita is already capable of doing it with the PS3 (hell, the PSP can do it).  The hardware/coding/whatever is already all in there, but most games don't utilize the feature (apparently all PS4 titles will so they're finally wising up I guess, or just really into pissing in Nintendo's lemonade).  It's a shame cause the feature can be turned on for all games on a hacked PS3 and most of them run just swell.

Jump to Post

10.03.2013 3:32am

Ashilyn
Career GM

http://www.blisteredthumbs.net/2013/10/winder-waker-hd-opens-to-worst-first-week-in-series-history/

I'm just gonna leave that here.

Jump to Post

10.03.2013 5:05am

Crusader
Not Even My Dad Hit Me

Well, Wind Waker was never incredibly kawaii uguu.

Jump to Post

10.03.2013 7:57am

The Hulk
Good Boy

The sad thing is I'll still have to get one of these damn machines for my kid's christmas, just for NSMBU.  I'm two hours away from winning one on ebay right now ffs, will that count as a pyrrhic victory?

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 2 3 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter