Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Gaming Discussion

This was unexpected (regarding Persona 4)

< Prev 1 2 3 ... 6 Next >

02.21.2012 10:13pm
Thread Creator

CaButler
Winter Knight of the Unseelie Court

So, remember how they were remaking Persona 4 for the Vita and at the same time annouced a fighting game being developed by the same guys who made Blazblue and Guilty Gear?  It looked pretty cool, but we all thought that there was no way this was going to make it to the states, right?

...Or was that just me?  Anyway, the point is, Atlus just sent out an email to all it's subscribers basically annoucing a US release of the title, tentatively scheduled for Summer.  Here's the currently incomplete US website of the game, for the curious, but don't expect much as the game was literally annouced moments ago.

Still, this is quite a surprise.

Jump to Post

02.22.2012 12:12am

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

Wow, I really didn't see that coming either. Pretty cool though!

Jump to Post

02.22.2012 12:15am

Ashilyn
Career GM

Eh, fighting games are in a huge renissance, and eve the msot niche games (except, for some reason, Melty Blood) are making it over. P4 sold pretty well here last I checked, and Atlus brought over King of Fighters XII and XIII, so P4: Arena was pretty much a given if you followed fighting games.

Still, it's pretty cool to see that it's coming over. I won't be playing it, though - if it was made by anyone but ArkSystemWorks I'd be all over that shit. But after how awful they made GG and BlazBlue, meh.

Jump to Post

02.22.2012 1:52am

FenixDown
The King's orders are absolute

I'm not really big on fighting games in general, but I am still presently obsessing over anything Persona 4-related, so I might get this when it's on sale, or maybe used if the price is decent.

I was kinda hoping that this thread was going to be about the Vita port, preferably some kind of announcement that it was going to be on the PS3 as well (wishful thinking, if only so I wouldn't want to shell out hundreds for a new handheld just for one game I want).

Let's Play Chrono Trigger
Let's Play The Legend of Zelda A Link to the Past
Let's Play Final Fantasy VI

Jump to Post

02.22.2012 2:36pm
Thread Creator

CaButler

Speaking of the Vita port, it got a release date of June 14th for the Japan country.  Though that means, unless Atlus is really generous, the game will be in the states late this year or early next.

Jump to Post

02.22.2012 8:34pm

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

Wait is it a real fighting game or is it like dissidia which pretended to be a fighting game but is really an action rpg?

Jump to Post

02.23.2012 1:01am

FenixDown
The King's orders are absolute

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6cOnDS8Gh4  It's a fighting game, from the people behind Blazblue.

Jump to Post

02.29.2012 7:37pm
Thread Creator

CaButler

Here's a bump, but Arena is getting a character that was not in P3 or P4.

Say hello to Labrys, who, according the story, is joining the tournament to get Teddie to stop.

There's not much to add, so here's the article where I first found out about it.

And yes, she does look very similar to Aigis.  Interesting.

Jump to Post

03.01.2012 12:56am

Ashilyn
Career GM

I was talking with some people about her when she was announced. The timing of the console release and her addition makes it seem like she's most likely a Persona 5 teaser - can't really think of any other reason they'd include her, an P5's been in the works for a good three years now, so the time's right for a teaser followed by an announcement. We'll see, but that seems to be prevailing theory at the moment.

Jump to Post

03.01.2012 5:43am

Atma Weapon
I Am Pure Energy

I love the Persona series, but IMO the 2D fighter genre is garbage, no matter how it's dressed up and packaged.

Jump to Post

03.01.2012 8:37pm
Thread Creator

CaButler

You're dead to me, Atma.

Back to the new character.  Apparently, in the arcade version of the game, she isn't a playable character and comes before the final boss.  Hopefully she'll be playable in the console version.

Oh, and like Blazblue, the game has instant kill attacks, but like Blazblue, you have to meet certain conditions.  It's really more of a flashy way of defeating your opponent.

And it's all so very satsifying.

Jump to Post

03.01.2012 8:42pm

Ashilyn
Career GM

Yeah, from this moment, Atma doesn't exist.  GJ posting in a thread about a 2D fighting game - a genere which if flourishing like never before and continues to be mroe fun than a lot fo the trash 3D fighters out there -  just to tell us how much you hate 2D fighting games.

Anyway, I didn't know she was in the arcade version at all. I'm still sticking by the idea of a P5 teaser though , mostly because that seems exactly like something Atlus would do (and has done before). And even if she's not meant to be, if people like her enough I'm sure she'll become a P5 character.

I'm still not sure what to make of the game itself. It sounds like it's basic commands are simplar than BB, but it's ArkSysWorks and I hate how they overcomplicate their games out the stratosphere and I've still heard some really questionable things about P4A. Not to mention ArkSys is about as bad as 90s Capcom with their game revisions. Lord knows what they'll be doing with balance or revision releases in a year.

Jump to Post

05.01.2012 8:15pm
 (Edited on 05.01.2012 at 8:33pm)

Ashilyn
Career GM

DOUBLE POST AND THREAD NECROMANCY! That should be an achievement, god damnit.

Atlus is starting the hype train for the US release, which is still listed on their website and in promos as "Summer 2012", so I'm beginning to think the GameStop date of August 7th may not be accurate. Anyway, they sent out an email today with a video explaining the game's basic mechanics. Unfrotunately, it also shows off what happens when time passes between sequals - it shows off Teddie's new VA (who is just absolutely unbearable), as well as Laura Bailey still clearly voicing Rise, but sounding somewhat... off.

Nothing of Chie, now voiced by Erin Fitzgerald, but I'm sure we'll hear some of her before too long. It sucks they couldn't get people back, and that voices have changed in general, but I don't begrudge Atlus. That's what happens when time passes and people move on to other projects and doing other voices. No word on the rest of the cast voice wise (except Aegis, who is confirmed to have Karen Strassman returning as her VA, and Yosuke are pretty much confirmed to be Yuri Lowenthal, who sounds like he might also be voicing Teddie), but I can't imagine Tara Platt, Liam O'Brian, Amanda Winn-Lee, and Troy Baker not coming back, and I'll be surprised if Susan Dalian doesn't.

Anyway, the video is good for peopel who aren't familiar with the game, it actually is a nice little concise explaination of the game's basic mechanics. As for the game itself, it's still in arcades at the moment, and is scheduled to be getting a patch soon that's going to nerf Mitsuru and Chie (who need it) and buff Akihiko, along with some other balance changes. Since my last post, Elizabeth and Labrys have been added to the game as playables, as has Shadow Labrys - her source has also been revealed, she's not a Persona 5 teaser like a lot of people thought, she's actually an ascended extra from a Persona 3 audio drama that naturally never made it to America.

There's rumours of at least one more character being added to the Arcade version before teh console release, and possibly more in teh console release. The three most popular (and logical) theories are Junpei, Ken, and Shadow Narukami (since he was the only one in P4 never to have one). Yukari isn't really an option because lol bow and she's not really a close up fighter, nor does she ever really have a Persona suited for it, and as much as people seem to want it, the P3 Protag is out for... well, obvious reasons if you've played P3. Unless they decided to throw in
Spoiler: Move your mouse over the container to reveal.
Nyx powered P3 Protag as a superboss villain
but since this is a canon game that would be pretty dumb.

So yeah. That's the current P4A update. Maybe I'll post some videos later.

Jump to Post

05.01.2012 8:25pm
Thread Creator

CaButler

I think ti's Sam Regal who's doing the voice of Teddie... dear god, it hurts.

As for Rise, I think it sounded slightly deeper to show that time did pass, but that's just me.

Game play seems to be focused mostly on button mashing... a strike for me, in my opinion, but hopefully it'll be more than just "spamming one button to do a combo", but we'll have to see with future videos.

As for potential additions, I don't see Yukari as a fighter, but then again, Yukiko isn't really an upclose figher, either, and stranger things have happened.  If anything, I would say that Margret might get in on this, given that her sister is also involved.  At least, that's my guess.

Jump to Post

05.01.2012 9:05pm

Ashilyn
Career GM

Well, it gets deeper than simple button mashing, thankfully. But the game is definitely designed to be simpler and more approachable than Guilty Gear or BlazBlue so that Atlus can hook fans of the games who aren't into fighters. Truth be told, that's a relief for me, because I always felt like GG and BB went a little too far into the technical end of things to be enjoyable (though I do still love me some GG. BB... I stopped liking after CS1). That Auto-Combo stuff is the one thing that's really questionable to me, though. SFxT's easy L>M>H combos were bad enough. That doesn't really teach good fighting game fundamentals, and it'll make it harder for anyone brought into teh genre by P4 to adapt to anything else. The other stuff is all new twists on existing mechanics (I'm glad that they made furious attacks, which are basically alpha coutners, as simple as they are).

Margaret is technically in the game - she and Igor are the ones that handle character select. Seeing as she was a boss in P4 and P3P, though, I'll be surprised if she's not some sort of DLC character later on. But I don't really think, story wise, she ahs the same kinds of reasons to get involved as Elizabeth might. She'll probably end up a story mode character, like Kokonoe in BlazBlue. Also, it's been said that originally the wanted to do Nanako with Dojima as her "persona" as a joke character, but obviously that hasn't panned out (...yet). There's also been hints that we could see an OC, though I suspect that might have been a mistranslation.

Also, all the characters have colour palettes that reference past Persona characters, as well as Guilty Gear and BlazBlue characters. Here's a list of them! (I don't have pictures handy, but I'm sure you can find them at dustloop):

Yu Narukami

• Persona: Persona 3 MMC/Orpheus | Guilty Gear: Ky Kiske | BlazBlue: Ragna

Yosuke Hanamura

• Persona: Eikichi/Hades (Persona 2: Innocent Sin) | Guilty Gear: Chip Zanuff | BlazBlue: Jin Kisaragi

Chie Satonaka

• Persona: Yukari/Io | Guilty Gear: Jam Kuradoberi | BlazBlue: Makoto Nanaya

Yukiko Amagi

• Persona: Chidori/Medea | Guilty Gear: Anji Mito | BlazBlue: Carl Clover

Kanji Tatsumi

• Persona: Baofu/Odysseus (Persona 2: Eternal Punishment) | Guilty Gear: Potemkin | BlazBlue: Iron Tager

Teddie

• Persona: Jack Frost/Pyro Jack | Guilty Gear: Faust | BlazBlue: Taokaka

Naoto Shirogane

• Persona: Yukino/Durga (Persona 1) | Guilty Gear: May | BlazBlue: Hazama

Labrys

• Persona: Aegis (Winter uniform)/Palladion | Guilty Gear: Baiken | BlazBlue: Lambda-11

Shadow Labrys

• Persona: Aegis/Pallas Athena | Guilty Gear: -- | BlazBlue: Mu-12

Akihiko Sanada

• Persona: Takaya/Hypnos | Guilty Gear: Slayer | BlazBlue: Bang Shishigami (and god, does it look awesome)

Mitsuru Kirijo

• Persona: Maya/Artemis (Persona 2) | Guilty Gear: Axl Low | BlazBlue: Litchi Faye-Ling

Aegis

• Persona: Metis/Psyche | Guilty Gear: Justice | BlazBlue: Nu-13

Elizabeth

• Persona: Joker/Joker-Nyarlathotep | Guilty Gear: Dizzy | BlazBlue: Relius Clover

Edit: http://www.dustloop.com/forums/showthread.php?13556-P4U-Characters-feat-GG-amp-BB-colors and http://shoryuken.com/2012/02/27/persona-4-arena-alternate-costumes-revealed/ have most of them. Some of them look really awesome.

Also, I forgot that it's been hinted that we could see some of the P4 character's ultimate personas - I suspect that may be how they do Unlimited/Gold characters in this one. No idea how it'll work for everyone else, but it seems like a safe bet.

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 2 3 ... 6 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter