Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Gaming Discussion

Tropes vs. Women 2: Here We Go Again

< Prev 1 2 3 4 ... 10 Next >

05.30.2013 1:44am

Fincher
Deep Water Horizon

This goes back to something from the last thread: whether games appeal to female gamers is different from whether depictions of women in games is sexist and has a negative impact on society.  Not only are these two different things, but they're often not in line with each other.  My original example was Twilight, something that a lot of feminists would criticize up and down, but something that a lot of women like.  So taking them one at a time...

1.  Sexism

Like I said, I fail to see the evidence that video games have had this social impact they've supposedly had, and I'm not just going to take Anita Sarkeesian's word for it.  Beyond that, I think the word sexism is overused and that a lot of things that are sexist according to some...aren't.  It doesn't matter how many times she says it, and it's not a matter of ignorance or malicious intent.  I hear what she's saying, and I simply don't agree with her in most cases, so I don't agree that the industry needs to change on that basis.

2.  Female gamers

So 40% of gamers are female, and let's assume that most of them would like to play as female characters.  Well, like I said, I like playable female characters.  In an action game (which is probably where a lot of this is coming from), I would consider playing as a woman a selling point.  Granted, part of that is that I like sex appeal, but just on the point of playing female characters, I'm all for it.  So it could be said that somebody else's money is worth more than mine in that case because you often play as a man.  Well...my money doesn't have to be worth anything to them.  They're allowed to make what they want.  That the "demands" are coming from a minority group doesn't invalidate them, but it also doesn't give them the undue weight of preventing developers from making the games they want to make.

When it comes to affecting change, being polite doesn't get it done, but neither does being impolite.  What really affects change is causing trouble.  Trouble in this case is hurting the profit margin.  How much your money is worth is irrelevant if the publishers get that money regardless.  If you complain about how sexist the themes in a game are, and then you buy that game, and then you buy the sequel, and then you buy the sequel after that, you're not really giving them any motivation to change.  To really shake the industry up, first, you need enough people who want the change.  Second, you need enough of those people willing to avoid and support games based on the given factor that the publishers notice and care about their profit losses/gains.  Third, you need for those people to know which games to avoid and which to support.

That's why I suggested the website.  Partly it helps female (and in some cases male) gamers to find what they're looking for, but also by getting more of those games sold, it provides motivation for developers to make more of those games.  Even if Anita's video and its attention and backlash gets some developers to try something different, it'll only work in the long run if the games sell.  Beyond Good & Evil didn't sell.  If there's a significant market for for a game like that, it needs to be able to reach that market, or it'll be replaced by what does sell.

Currently playing: Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box, Picross DS
Last played: Time Hollow (good)
Last watched: Agent Carter (very good)
Me on Favslist

Jump to Post

05.30.2013 2:15am

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

Honestly, it's hard to judge what's sexist/racist/etc. or not when you're in the privileged class (men, white people, etc.). Not saying it's impossible, but it's hard to really take a critical eye about these things unless you're learned about the subject matter, or someone on the receiving end. Yes, sometimes its impact is blown out of proportion, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Sexism doesn't have to be malicious, misogynistic/misandric, or even conscious. It can be very subtle. But simply being aware of it is better for pretty much everyone.

Jump to Post

05.30.2013 2:21am

Som
Genitals are Funny

oh a tropes vs women topic on a forums

NOOOOOOOOOOOPE

Jump to Post

05.30.2013 4:00am

Cameron
Registered Member

Well, she's not wrong.  Of course there are many, many complicated reasons why violence against women is ramping up in the real world (or why we are starting to perceive/recognize it as such) - and in the grand scheme of things, games are probably a pretty insignificant part of that.  Still, that hardly excuses the incredibly slow movement of games on that particular social issue.

What I take away from that video is "holy shit, games need to do a better job writing some meaningful stories'.  Even accounting for the fact that some of those scenes and bits of dialogue are taken out of context, a lot of that is still embarrassingly bad.  I would have written similar dialogue as a Middle School student.  Surely the industry can hire some writers that can develop more interesting plot devices, character motivations and so forth. I don't know if I just don't notice it as much when playing games, or if I'm willing to ignore in order to indulge my own "male power fantasies", as she puts it - but upon sober reflection, that stuff is just bad.

Jump to Post

05.30.2013 3:07pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

Murasame said:
[snip]

I'm also gonna go out on another limb and suggest that asking for things politely is a completely shitty way of asking for change. It's also a super shitty way of promoting the cause, too. It's navel-gazing bullshit that sits comfortably over there where the majority of gamers don't have to deal with it, where if you sit in your comfortable world of the status quo, you don't have to deal with it.

That's shitty. For some people, some people who like games, just like you, they have to deal with it, whether they like it or not. Why the fuck is their experience in gaming any less important than yours? Do their dollars mean less? Arguably, since they (statistically) have less of them, I'd say their dollars mean more. 40% is a large percent - casual market or no. 50% is not far off. (further, if we keep up with the shitty attitudes)

It just fucking infuriates me that the objectification of women in games can just be waved off so lightly. It's awful to be reduced to an object, a stereotype, because of something you have no control over. Dismissed anger because you're short - a nerd because you wear glasses - unhygenic because you don't shave your armpits - a basement dweller because you play video games.

It's just so fucking backward that the gaming community - of all communities - is essentially telling ladies "hey, you're not important because you're a minority. Suck it up."

Bull. Shit.

[and snip]

Hear, hear.

Jump to Post

05.30.2013 4:04pm

Lexx
Terran Angel

I can't believe how upset people are getting over this.  I never had any clue that there was this level of emotional turmoil running beneath saving Peach from Bowser.

Jump to Post

05.30.2013 4:54pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

Lexx said:

I can't believe how upset people are getting over this.  I never had any clue that there was this level of emotional turmoil running beneath saving Peach from Bowser.

I can't speak for everyone, or anyone other than myself, but--

Gaming as hobby is an ingrained aspect of my life.  I don't get the same mental/emotional response from TV or movies (though I enjoy both) as I do from a well-crafted videogame, or even one crafted in mediocrity.  I am a gamer in that playing video games is my primary hobby, my primary source of entertainment, and the source of entertainment that I understand best and feel the strongest about.  I am passionate about gaming.

I would love to share that passion with my children.  And those children?  Are both female.  I would love to share that passion with any future partner I might have.  And as a heterosexual man, those partners?  Will all be female.  So as a person who feels passionate about gaming how could I not feel "emotional turmoil"* about improving the states of the gaming industry and community to make them more appealing to the people I most want to share my passion with?

TLDR:  I want to share my love of vidjagames with my kids, but I want to do it in a world where this** isn't*** a thing that happens.

*I use a direct quote here and I think it makes me sound a little condescending, but that's not my intent.
**This is about the over-the-top example I could think of off the top of my head.  Also even just barely dipping my toes into the comments on this article and another one related to it filled my mouth with the taste of bile.
***[edit]Holy lack of contraction making this sentence mean the exact opposite of what I'm saying, Batman!

Jump to Post

05.30.2013 5:03pm

resare
Exceptional narcissist

Grow up, Vyers. Jesus Christ.

Jump to Post

05.30.2013 5:45pm

Colinp42
Registered Member

I don't know, I just don't like how she's taking things out of context to support her agument (which may be perfectly valid, I'm just saying).  Like she has used clips from Double Dragon Neon in both videos now.  But that is a remake of a classic game - so yes you're going to have some outdated social views in it.  And I haven't played it yet, but I gather a lot of it is tongue-in-cheek.  I don't know, if violence against women is used ironically as a way of commenting on the medium, is it still just as bad?

Jump to Post

05.30.2013 5:56pm

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

Double Dragon Neon is so ridiculously tongue-in-cheek and silly that it actually does hurt her argument to use it in a serious context. DD Neon pokes so much fun not only at the series and that era of video games, but also bro culture.

Jump to Post

05.30.2013 5:57pm

Lexx
Terran Angel

reido said:

I can't speak for everyone, or anyone other than myself, but--

Gaming as hobby is an ingrained aspect of my life.  I don't get the same mental/emotional response from TV or movies (though I enjoy both) as I do from a well-crafted videogame, or even one crafted in mediocrity.  I am a gamer in that playing video games is my primary hobby, my primary source of entertainment, and the source of entertainment that I understand best and feel the strongest about.  I am passionate about gaming.

I would love to share that passion with my children.  And those children?  Are both female.  I would love to share that passion with any future partner I might have.  And as a heterosexual man, those partners?  Will all be female.  So as a person who feels passionate about gaming how could I not feel "emotional turmoil"* about improving the states of the gaming industry and community to make them more appealing to the people I most want to share my passion with?

TLDR:  I want to share my love of vidjagames with my kids, but I want to do it in a world where this** isn't*** a thing that happens.

*I use a direct quote here and I think it makes me sound a little condescending, but that's not my intent.
**This is about the over-the-top example I could think of off the top of my head.  Also even just barely dipping my toes into the comments on this article and another one related to it filled my mouth with the taste of bile.
***[edit]Holy lack of contraction making this sentence mean the exact opposite of what I'm saying, Batman!

That's perfectly understandable.  I've always noticed the casual sexism in gaming, but it never bothered me as much as it does you and others.  To be honest, I stll think its' impact is being blown out of proportion, but I'll admit I'm probably in the minority on that.

Jump to Post

05.30.2013 6:24pm

Kellios
Yikes and away!

While it may not seem that big of a deal in this small context of gaming... but look at it in the broader sense. Every day of a woman's life (and, well, men's too) there is the pressure to conform to what our cultural and societal standards set for us. Unfortunately, for most people living on this Earth, that's a heavily MALE dominated society. So yeah, these "minor" sexism examples she uses in the video can totally be just that - minor and explainable through context and plot. I'm okay with that. But that doesn't absolve the issue either. And it's not just gaming. In the overall scheme of things, there is still this subconscious level of sexism that seeps into all parts of life. Just sometimes feel gaming magnifies it, being a visual and interactive medium.

As a gamer and a woman, it is rather lackluster seeing what's out there. I don't want to be pandered to or patronized ("You want game? Here's puppies on a pink cover!"), but this feeling of being "left out" sits uneasy too. And like it or not, 98% or female characters in games are sexualized. in one form or another. RPGs tend to be a touch better about this, but not always. Look at what she's wearing, what her personality is, and what her influences are in gameplay. Then try to picture the main hero doing something similar. It just doesn't fly.

I know many of you are fond of FemShep, but still at her very core, she was initially written as MaleShep. And while Bioware did a fine job of balancing the two, still, at its heart, Shep is male. 

As for the video, a lot of the examples she gave were - while valid - I don't feel drive her point in any better. I also feel both this video and the first one could be edited down to one video, using stronger examples and focusing on very specific games and their problems. I did however like picking the huge range of games from the 80's up till now - just helps show how ingrained this sort of sexism is in our society. Though I do wish she'd also drive home that this is common throughout all of media - not just gaming. She's almost painting gaming as the more sexist - which isn't necessarily true.

Pretty sure I said this in the other thread, but the problem too is that the industry is full of mostly straight, white males making games for straight, white males. I'm sure the majority of the sexism present isn't on purpose. When I run across it, 9 times out of 10 it isn't the initial intent. But it's still present, and sadly hasn't really been improving that much. Girls are not encouraged to get into tech/geeky things, therefore they never pursue it., and the cycle continues.

I agree with what she's trying to do - but she tries to pull off the very dry academia style, but still throws in her own barbs. I'm not a huge fan of the presentation, and she's really not the most charismatic, and I'm not sure what I'd do otherwise. But at the very least, I'm glad it's being brought up.

Jump to Post

05.30.2013 7:21pm
 (Edited on 05.30.2013 at 7:28pm)

Kal
yes

After the initial reception of her kickstarter, I'm still dumbfounded by the fact that some people think sexism isn't an issue in the gaming community and that this sexism doesn't come, at least in part, from the sexism (even if unintentional) found in video games.

For recent examples, look at the Dragon Crown controversy: make a perfectly reasonable criticism of a ridiculous female character designs > be accused of censorshop and get called a fag by character designer.

Jump to Post

05.30.2013 7:27pm

CaButler
Winter Knight of the Unseelie Court

Kal said:
For recent examples, look at the Dragon Crown controversy: criticize ridiculous female character designs > get called a fag by character designer.

Though that itself got resolved very quickly with the character designer apologizing for it.

Jump to Post

05.30.2013 7:31pm
 (Edited on 05.30.2013 at 7:37pm)

Kal
yes

CaButler said:

Though that itself got resolved very quickly with the character designer apologizing for it.
Be that as it may, the angry mob who jumped to said designer's defense and cried "censorship" didn't.

The mere fact that the controversy happened in the first place is representative that Sarkeesian's videos have a reason to exist.
Whether they're good or not is irrelevant at this point, a bunch of idiots proved the point she's trying to make even before she made it.

edit: I don't know. Every thread about this seems to devolve into "sexism is not that big a deal. Get over it" rather than "Are the videos good?" 
I'm just a little shocked that anyone would think sexism isn't an issue, is all.
Discussing whether she succeeds in trying to demonstrate that would be more interesting. 

edit 2: not sure if I'm getting my point across/ not even sure of what point I'm trying to make.

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 2 3 4 ... 10 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter