Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Gaming Discussion

Welcome to Gameshop

< Prev 1 2 3 4 Next >

11.17.2011 3:12am
Thread Creator

Scribe
The Taru

Jump to Post

11.17.2011 3:17pm

Nelfichu
I've been there, hombre.

So true. I remember every time I went to the mall, I had to go to EB or Gamestop. Anymore, I avoid them like the plague and buy my games at Target or online.

Jump to Post

11.17.2011 3:43pm

Crono
Crono can cross dimensions too!

I haven't stepped foot inside a Gamestop in over 3 years.  Once I discovered Amazon there was no turning back.

Currently Playing: Dark Cloud 2: 3 hours.
Also Playing: CT, FF VI, Solatorobo, Secret of Mana, Halo 4.
Just Finished: Fable II: 7 hours.

Jump to Post

11.17.2011 4:02pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

I am one of the very few who has never had a problem at Gamestop, be it with used games or preorders or whatever.  Maybe the two around here are just nicer than everywhere else.

Jump to Post

11.17.2011 4:56pm

Testament
Shamshot

Crono said:

Once I discovered Amazon there was no turning back.

Exactly.  Amazon (new) & eBay (used) and I've never looked back.

Jump to Post

11.17.2011 5:19pm

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

I'll only shop at my local Gamestop because I know the people there, and they know me. I don't get the whole spiel.  Either that or if I see a rare find. Otherwise fuck 'em.

Best Buy's even pushier when you're browsing (which is fine at Gamestop; I'll just get a "need help finding anything?" and that's that), though I don't get any garbage at checkout like I do at GameStop.

Jump to Post

11.17.2011 5:31pm

Amer
pew pew pew

I am also one of the few that likes Gamestop. 

I've been an edge/powerup/whatever member for probably 10 years now. When I trade in a game, I know what price i'm going to get. It will be less than a private sale, but it's without all of the hassle of a meetup or shipping a game away and wondering if you're going to get scammed by the paypal funds falling out from under you. The extra value you get from being a rewards member is easily worth the $10 a year or whatever. Plus, there is always trade in bonuses for pre-orders or if you trade in multiple games that stacks with the rewards card, so if you save up your games to trade in all at once or trade in towards a preorder with a bonus, you can easily get another 30-40% trade in value. 

I don't have a problem with their used game prices because usually when I want an older game, I want it now. The cost of shipping online usually makes the gamestop price at least competitive. 

You are usually buying a new game there at MSRP, without the $10 or $20 coupon you could get from Amazon or Kmart, etc. But on the flip side, you can apply trades towards it, and if you frequently shop at Gamestop you are racking up rewards points so you can print out $5, $10, $25 coupons. I've probably earned over $200 in gamestop coupons over the past two years since they changed it to the power up rewards program. Plus the coupons work on new or used games instead of having to order in that preorder window to get amazon credit or that first week of sales for Kmart coupons. 

Another bonus, for me, is that I think Gamestop almost always have the best preorder bonuses if you are going to buy a game new anyway. The in game items and DLC, etc. are usually a lot better quality or more tempting compared to other retailers. 

Cons for other retailers for me -
Amazons release day shipping for some reason is not always release day for me, and frankly I think it should be free as long as you order enough in advance. Also, Amazon's trade in program is balls. You can send in a practically brand new item and they will some how judge it at the lowest standard and only give you the minimum amount for it. The amazon forums are filled with complaints about people trading in games that have been played twice and getting screwed when items were "lost in transit". I traded in my Logitech GT Driving Force wheel with them, only used twice for a few hours, all original materials included. I should have recieved $80 in amazon gift cards for it, but they deemed it to be "poor" quality because it was missing the manual and only gave me $19 in Amazon gift cards. First off, even if it was missing the manual, it was a barely used steering wheel with all physical components in the original box. Second off, the damn thing didn't come with a manual and Amazon didn't even know that.  I had to email Amazon proof from logitech that the game didn't come with a manual since video games that use the wheel all have different configurations. Eventually Amazon gave me the balance, but in Amazon credit instead of giftcards - so I could only use it on items fulfilled by Amazon =(. 

Best Buy - Their reward zone program sucks. You never seem to earn anything and once you earn the coupons they expire in a month or two, meaning you can't use them on that game you want that comes out in three months. Also, their whole preorder snafu problems really trouble me. All those people got screwed out of Forza 4 collector's edition and BB only told them the week before hand that they wouldn't be getting them, meaning people couldn't go to other retailers to try to pre-order it since the window had passed. There was also stories of them not recieving enough copies of MW3 to fulfill their preorders - really? 

K-mart - I want to like K-mart, I really do. They have great deals, but there is only one K-mart in the entire county I live in, and they suck. Games at this store have a 90% chance of not being on the shelf on release day, nor the day after. There are never any associates in the electronics department or surrounding areas for you to flag down, so you have to go to the front of the store to get one. If you do happen to get an associate and the games you were looking for, they never know about the SYWR deals, so you have to tell them, and they are always like "I don't think so..." and then you have to tell them to just scan the fucking shit and watch. You go in there, and yeah, you're probably going to save $20 on a couple new releases....but the frustration and effort just isn't worth it to me. I've e-mailed Kmart corporate about it, and SHC-Gamer on CAG and nothing has changed. 

By contrast, the GameStop I frequent is always the same 3 or 4 guys working behind the counter. They know who I am, they ask about preorders but they aren't pushy about it. I can generally find what I want and get in and out quickly. 

Jump to Post

11.17.2011 7:11pm
 (Edited on 11.17.2011 at 7:37pm)

Testament
Shamshot

I've never had an issue with selling games on eBay.

GameStop:  "Hey!  We'll give you $20.00 (credit) for that game and turn around and sell it for $57.99."

I know profit is the name of the game, but really?

Jump to Post

11.17.2011 7:19pm

Dh
Not in the face!
The Alpha and the Omega

The GameStop I've gone to has only asked me if I've wanted to reserve upcoming games. They've never hassled me at all for subscriptions to anything. I think once or twice they've asked me if I wanted a rewards card, which every business in the universe does now, I say no, and that's the end of it.

It's a funny video, but GameStop isn't that bad and if it upsets you that much, buy the shit from their Website and shut the fuck up.

I made this for you!

Jump to Post

11.17.2011 7:32pm

Testament
Shamshot

Dh said:

It's a funny video, but GameStop isn't that bad and if it upsets you that much, buy the shit from a different Website and shut the fuck up.

=)

Shutting the fuck up now.

Jump to Post

11.17.2011 7:36pm

Dh
Not in the face!
The Alpha and the Omega

Not you guys, the irate guy who felt the need to make this video.

Jump to Post

11.17.2011 7:41pm

Clowd Cole
Dangerous Zombie

I never go to gamestop anymore. Its best buy or amazon for me.

Buggle Up! Danger! Danger! (Genocide!) Death the Crisis! Dangerous Zombie!

Jump to Post

11.17.2011 7:54pm
 (Edited on 11.17.2011 at 8:01pm)

Testament
Shamshot

^^Yeah, just being silly.

Honestly, though, I don't have a problem with them offering stuff to me.  While approaching the counter just say, "No to everything except a bag for my purchase."

I refuse to participate in their pre-owned nonsense, and since Amazon usually has the lower price on new items...I go with them.  Then again, I rarely buy games on the release date and Amazon can have radical price drops/special deals if you are patient/vigilant.

Jump to Post

11.17.2011 11:35pm
 (Edited on 11.18.2011 at 1:24am)

Ashilyn
Career GM

I posted this on facebok last week, after seeing a friend of mine post it, and a friend of mine - who is very nice, but because she works for GameStop has become kind of like a GS Sheep, even defending their most questionable of practices - tried to refute it as completely and totally untrue. This was my response:

My experience with all the best buys in Richmond is literally the exact opposite of what you're describing, and if you look at their website, most of their trade ins are either the same as, or better than GameStop (with them trade off that you can't get cash, sadly, just gift cards), and the people there are always at least somewhat knowledgeable (at least the ones in the gaming department) and friendly without constantly pushing things on me. It's a wonderful change of pace. And even if they are awful, for reasons I'll go into later in this, I tend to prefer going to them. A lot of people I know say Best Buy does similar stuff. But with their Preorder kiosks (no need for human interaction!), usually cheaper prices, and slightly better trade in rates, they still prefer going to them.

Meanwhile, all my experiences with GameStop, regardless of location, tend to go more like a grounded-in-reality version of this video, which is why I don't go there anymore unless I ABSOLUTELY must get something used (like the wired controller I'm looking to get for my PC) or really want their preorder bonus (which is a whole different rant that isn't aimed at just GS). This combined with the fact that my GSes just don't carry PC games anymore unless you preorder (and even then, they only tend to get one or two, I've been left twisting in the wind more than a few times on PC preorders, which really just should not happen, and makes me worried about The Old Republic) and I think it paints a pretty good picture for why I don't shop there anymore.

As for trade ins, I'm not against the practice itself, though if you liken it to used cars my first instinct is to slap someone - they are completely different business with different practices, just with a similar service. But in the end it's like comparing apples and oranges - you can't, and shouldn't, do it.

My issue with trade ins lies in the hellacious markup (mentioned in that video), and the fact that GameStop (or Best Buy, or anyone, makes at least 100% profit on them, with developers getting zilch). That video is right - I can trade in a a game, get five bucks, and then GameStop will turn around and throw it on the shelves for 100 to 300% profit. That's absolutely ridiculous. Hell, just yesterday, It traded in an accessory and a game, and got $7 combined for both. You know how much they sell for used? Thee accessory for $20 (I got //$2// for it) and the game for $18 (I got $5 for it). If that's not screwing the customer, I don't know what is. But if games depreciate in value that much, someone should apply that logic to GameStop as well, instead of making me still pay $35 for games barely a year old, while they only give me $10 for them trade in. It is flat out robbery. Best Buy isn't //much// better, but I tend to see their used games (of which they have a much smaller selection) priced a bit less than GS, while they tend to give me a bit more for my trad ein, so it balances out just a bit better. It's still not spectacular though.

Anyway, my beef with with GS, not you, -------. I actually really do appreciate it if you approach work that way, it means you're one of the good guys. And that's awesome. But I'm sorry, the company you work for is awful and has some seriously questionable business practices. They aren't the friends of gamers they were back in the days of Babbages, Funcoland, or even early GameStop. They are ruthless, greedy cashgrabbers who routinely screw customers, and it really, really sucks. I usually hate saying it, but this is one time I definitely miss the old days.

Like i said, I tend t prefer Best Buy. I have a MUCH better experiance with them, save the occasional annoying person at Customer Service when I pick up a preorder. I only set foot in GS if I really need a used game I can't get cheaper on GameFly or at Best Buy, or if I need a used accecory.

Jump to Post

11.18.2011 1:02am

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

Funny because I'm also a (former) GameStop employee and working for them only made me more critical of their bullshit.

Your Gamestop shopping experience will vastly differ depending on how much of a Corporate Kiss-Ass the store manager is. If they aren't, you won't get much crap. Maybe the token "anything you want to reserve coming out? question, but that's about it. If they're a major kiss-ass, you'll get the entire spiel to the point of annoyance. From experience I've noticed that badgering the customers actually results in less subs/preorders (which are a huge part of how many hours per week the store gets for its non-salaried employees, not overall sales).  And I've worked under both types of managers. The guy who didn't really make a huge deal about it was infinitely more pleasant to work under. He also had a lot more "core" customers that would not only give the store a lot of business, but also were pleasant to sell things to and reserved stuff fairly often. The guy who was a kiss-ass was really miserable and critical about every little thing, even things done exactly as they were supposed to be. I once got six reserves in a single shift (which is usually pretty fucking good), and he bitched at me because I didn't "earn" those reserves.

Now that could've changed since the introduction of their rewards card. I preserved my sanity and quit that place long before then. But Gamestop has some of the most corporate retail bullshit I've ever seen, moreso than a lot of its competitors.

Also it goes without saying that buying PC games that aren't World of Warcraft is a complete joke at GameStop. But then with Steam, Good Old Games, etc. on the internet there is very, very, very little reason to buy any sort of PC game at a brick and mortar store anymore.

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 2 3 4 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter