Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Gaming Discussion

Welcome to Gameshop

11.18.2011 1:37am

Crisium
N/A

I'm the same as Nelfichu.  Back when I was a younger lad, Gamestop was always a routine trip while at the mall.  Now?  I'd rather stay far clear.

The exceptions are when I absolutely must play a game on release day, at release hour (aka Midnight Launch).  StarCraft 2 last year meant I was in the line outside of Gamestop for the midnight release.  The only time since then that I was back was for Radiant Historia.  Walmart and Target didn't have it, I didn't feel like waiting for it to be shipped (the hype on this site was too much) so I picked it up at Gamestop.

eBay is king for me, and I've never had a bad purchase from there.  I have used Amazon before too for when I want a game at release, but am willing to wait past midnight.

Jump to Post

11.18.2011 1:48am

amaron
No answer, must be that deaf bitch.

The biggest issue I've ever had with GameStop is them having boxes out for games that they know they don't have in stock.

I went in for SSBB a couple months ago for one of my kids. I saw about 6 boxes on the shelf so I grabbed one and took it up to the counter with me. The guy says to me "Um... let me see if we have this in stock."

They didn't. And I had to deal with an upset child because I specifically asked him if it was what he wanted.

Jump to Post

11.18.2011 2:35am

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

Oh yeah, watch out for the display copies. Despite it being against company policy to check out new games, a lot of the skeezier managers/employees will check out the display copies. This doesn't happen at every GameStop (fortunately my managers NEVER allowed this), but it happens often enough for it to be a problem.

Jump to Post

11.18.2011 3:23am

Ashilyn
Career GM

Onyx said:

Oh yeah, watch out for the display copies. Despite it being against company policy to check out new games, a lot of the skeezier managers/employees will check out the display copies. This doesn't happen at every GameStop (fortunately my managers NEVER allowed this), but it happens often enough for it to be a problem.

It is? Every indication I'd had, form TEH INTERNETS (taken with a grain of salt) and actual GameStop employees was that checking out new games was perfectly fine. It's part of the reason people get so up in arms about opened games getting sold as new, because some of the time those games hav ebeen taken home and played, and are thus even less new than a gutted copy.

Jump to Post

11.18.2011 3:47am

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

When I worked there, if you checked out a new game and it got even a small scratch, you "bought" it at the used price, which came out of your paycheck. For that reason, my managers would only allow used games to be checked out (of course, the drug dealers would always come in and "trade in" brand new games like a day after release that were more than likely stolen, but that's another story). But I heard from folk I knew that still worked there after I quit that they made it company policy that check outs were only for used games. Could've changed back. Those fuckers made the dress code not terrible a few months after I quit, too.

I can always dig out my old employee's handbook to check for sure. But I'm lazy.

Thinking about the drug dealers, it doesn't really help Gamestop's image as a specialized pawn shop.

Though when it comes to TEH INTERNETS in general, take a lot of their horror stories about Gamestop with a grain of salt. A lot of their stories are either exaggerated or outright made up to make the store look worse than it already is.

Jump to Post

11.18.2011 4:35am

Crono
Crono can cross dimensions too!

I take it back, the last time I was at a gamestop was for the FF XIII midnight release but that's only because my mom pre-ordered it for Christmas.  I just remembered because I was going through ould clothes and I saw my FFVII shirt that I got for pre-ordering that so many years ago.  Oh yes, all the nerds envied my awesome shirt that night... no seriously, it was kind of sad how much people drooled over it.  And by kind of sad I mean really sad.

Currently Playing: Dark Cloud 2: 3 hours.
Also Playing: CT, FF VI, Solatorobo, Secret of Mana, Halo 4.
Just Finished: Fable II: 7 hours.

Jump to Post

11.18.2011 12:43pm

amaron
No answer, must be that deaf bitch.

Crono said:

I take it back, the last time I was at a gamestop was for the FF XIII midnight release but that's only because my mom pre-ordered it for Christmas.  I just remembered because I was going through ould clothes and I saw my FFVII shirt that I got for pre-ordering that so many years ago.  Oh yes, all the nerds envied my awesome shirt that night... no seriously, it was kind of sad how much people drooled over it.  And by kind of sad I mean really sad.

I got that shirt! It was white!

Jump to Post

11.18.2011 3:14pm

Testament
Shamshot

The last time I was there was for the FFXII midnight release.  No FF related clothing, though...so no drooling.

Jump to Post

11.18.2011 3:24pm

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

Crono said:

Did the jocks laugh at you?

Jump to Post

11.18.2011 10:44pm

Amer
pew pew pew

I still have the Zelda: Ocarina of Time t-shirt I got for pre-ordering the gold cartridge at FuncoLand, which was owned by Gamestop.

Jump to Post

11.18.2011 11:32pm

Crisium
N/A

I remember getting SNES and Saturn games at FuncoLand.  Way better than the modern incarnation of Gamestop.

Jump to Post

11.19.2011 1:24am

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

Funcoland sorta transformed into GameStop after they bought out Babbage's and Software Etc. under the ownership of B&N at the time. Like, you know when a Jedi turns to the Dark Side and becomes a Sith Lord? FuncoLand was the Jedi Knight and turned to Darth GameStop.

Jump to Post

11.19.2011 1:37am

Ashilyn
Career GM

Man, I loved Funcoland as a kid. While I didn't understand how awful the used games market is back then, they at least gave reasonable trade in rates, and didn't mark up as ridiculously high as GameStop. It was the good ol' days before GameStop bought them and they realised they could  price things however they wanted, because people would take advantage of the service no matter what. So, it still, to this day, doesn't seem like the huge screwjob that GameStop is.

Jump to Post

11.19.2011 4:24am
Thread Creator

Scribe
The Taru

This video was actually shown to me by a friend of mine that's a Gamestop manager. The Gamestops around my neighborhood do this shit every damn time I go in there.

Jump to Post

11.19.2011 9:32am

Som
Genitals are Funny

All we have here is EB games. On the rare occasion i actually go there to get a PS3 game they seem fine. The asked me to sign up for some rewards thing. was free and and i didn't really have to do anything so i did it.

Jump to Post

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter