Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Role Playing Games

RPG character you don't use unless you have to.

< Prev 1 2 3 ... 5 Next >

03.19.2013 2:34am
Thread Creator

Lionheart
FNG

If I don't use a character, it's usually either because they're useless (or inferior) in battle, I don't like them as characters, or they don't make it to the end of the game.

FF7: Red XIII, Yuffie, Cait Sith, Aeris
FF8: Selphie and Irvine
FF9: Dagger, Quina, Freya, Amarant
FF10: Wakka and Kimahri
CT: Robo and Lucca
XG: Chu Chu, Elly, Billy, Rico, and Maria (in ground battles)
SMRPG: Mallow

Jump to Post

03.19.2013 4:37am

Darth Howie
Darthpool
Administrator

Cait Sith is the living embodiment of this for me.

Woe unto he who tries to be helpful, for upon him shall be lain the burdens of all.

- Squall 15:11

Jump to Post

03.19.2013 4:58am

Dr Squirrel
medicine woman

Gau, Strago, Cait Sith, Selphie, Quina, Kimahri

I have a thing against Blue Mage style characters apparently

trust me, i'm a doctor

Jump to Post

03.19.2013 9:32am

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

FF6 nobody
FF7 Caith Sith
FF8 Selphie
FF9 Amarant, Freya
FF10 Nobody
CT Nobody (change my party a lot)
FF12 Penelo

Jump to Post

03.19.2013 9:56am

Arckanghel
Pirate.

Cait Sith, Kimahri, Quina, Penelo, Selphie... Red Mage (FFI)

Jump to Post

03.19.2013 10:02am

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

Dr Squirrel said:

Gau, Strago, Cait Sith, Selphie, Quina, Kimahri

I have a thing against Blue Mage style characters apparently

unless you wanna bone them apparantly (quistis)

Jump to Post

03.19.2013 1:44pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

I think in my numerous FF8 playthroughs I've only used Quistis' blue mage limit break, like... 5 times, total, ever.  As much as a defender I am for that game, the limit system is garbage unless you're intentionally manipulating it (read:  Renzokuken spam).

OT:
Cait Sith, Irvine, Zell, Quina, Eiko, Amarant, Kimarhi... uh... Fran, Vaan... Snow...

Jump to Post

03.19.2013 1:52pm

Crono
Crono can cross dimensions too!

To be fair (and I'm looking at this from a speedrunner's perspective) Cait Sith is quite broken when you learn how to manipulate slots and one of the 3 most useful characters (Tifa and Cid).  But for a normal playthrough I understand the hater-aid.

I hated using Anise in TotA.  She was so slow.  There was a character like that in Vesperia too but I can't remember who.

Currently Playing: Dark Cloud 2: 3 hours.
Also Playing: CT, FF VI, Solatorobo, Secret of Mana, Halo 4.
Just Finished: Fable II: 7 hours.

Jump to Post

03.20.2013 1:45am

SuperSquall
Shortening His Posts

FF1: Black Mage (Seriously, a second fighter is way more useful - or a black belt or a thief if you want variety)
FF2: The entire game
FF6: Gau usually ends up not making the cut.  Gogo, Umaro and Strago share duties as the other cut in Kefka's tower.
FF7: Cait Sith
FF9 - Quina and Eiko
FFT - Samurai (they have one good move in blade grasp, and aside from that they suck.  Inexplicably low HP, bad stat growth, low speed, and a somewhat nerfed attack formula on Katana's don't help.)
SMRPG - Bowser.  He just isn't really good at anything by the end.

To now come to the defence for a few characters:

Chrono Trigger - Lucca is super slow, but as a character she's really interesting in that she's just a good friend to Crono, and if you keep her around you can see she's actually really cool.  I think it's fun to see a male-female relationship in an RPG where they are just friends.  And seriously Lucca is the best friend you could hope to have.  She even wing's for Crono to get him to impress Marle at one point.  In battle I like Marle a lot and typically there isn't room for Lucca when you do that, but she's got some of the most *insane* offensive techs in the game.  If you equip the Blue Rock and just spam Omega Flare you can kill everything.  E-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g.

FF8 - Quistis - Degenerator Limit Break.  And she's hot.

Jump to Post

03.20.2013 3:52am

Cameron
Registered Member

FF6: Gau, Relm, Strago
FF7: Cait Sith
FFT: Mustadio, Luso, Raph, Marach, Meliadoul
FF8: Selphie
FF9: Quina, Freya
FFX: Wakka
FFXII: Vaan, Penelo (love the other 4 characters)
FFXIII: I think I dislike the whole cast

Jump to Post

03.20.2013 4:38am

FenixDown
The King's orders are absolute

99% of the playable cast of Chrono Cross.

Been too long since I've played most RPGs that I'm blanking on who I tended to bench. I do dislike Edward/Gilbert from FFIV and would rather he never join the party.

Let's Play Chrono Trigger
Let's Play The Legend of Zelda A Link to the Past
Let's Play Final Fantasy VI

Jump to Post

03.21.2013 3:33am

JSG
Registered Member

I usually just find a party and stick to it when I play something, so most of every cast is this for me.

The ones that I really, REALLY avoid though are Rinoa and Selphie (FF8), Yuffie, Cait Sith, and Aeris (FF7), Cielo (Digital Devil Saga), everyone in FF9 that isn't Zidane and Freya (...so I always have to use two characters I don't like).  Chelsea in Tales of Destiny, MOMO in Xenosaga, most little girl characters in general.  In Mass Effect I used Kaidan and Liara as little as I possibly could.  I don't think I've ever once had Zevran or Sten in my Dragon Age party.

In Shadow Hearts: Covenant there was a boss that was immune to physical attacks and weak to magic, but I still used Joachim over Anastasia and...  the old guy whose name I forgot.

Usually I pick characters based on how much I like them as characters and my choices have absolutely nothing to do with their prowess in battle.

Jump to Post

03.21.2013 2:51pm

Catastrophe
I'm Catbug!

I've always had a tendency to be a 'hipster' when playing RPG's, using characters that most people can't stand and shunning the more 'popular' and 'better' ones. So characters like Barrett from VII, Zell and Irvine from VII, Steiner and Amarant from IX, Auron from X, and so on.

That said, I also have a tendency to constantly rotate my characters to keep them all at equal levels, so while I might use one character more than another, I'll still play with all of them.

Jump to Post

03.21.2013 2:55pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

Catastrophe said:

I've always had a tendency to be a 'hipster' when playing RPG's, using characters that most people can't stand and shunning the more 'popular' and 'better' ones. So characters like Barrett from VII, Zell and Irvine from VII, Steiner and Amarant from IX, Auron from X, and so on.

That said, I also have a tendency to constantly rotate my characters to keep them all at equal levels, so while I might use one character more than another, I'll still play with all of them.

Catastrophe said:

So characters like Barrett from VII, Zell and Irvine from VII, Steiner and Amarant from IX, Auron from X, and so on.

Catastrophe said:

Auron from X.

... People don't use Auron? *mind blown*

Jump to Post

03.21.2013 4:23pm

amaron
No answer, must be that deaf bitch.

reido said:

... People don't use Auron? *mind blown*

I'm shocked about him and Wakka. Wakka's Busters + Haste =  easy game.

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 2 3 ... 5 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter