Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Role Playing Games

RPG character you don't use unless you have to.

03.24.2013 12:42pm

Som
Genitals are Funny

Naming characters from FFX confuses me, because i remember using everyone because of how the battle system worked.

anyways

7 - Like everyone else, Cait Sith
8 - Rinoa, i really didn't like her as a character, so it made me not want to use her in battles
9 - Quina -same reason as Rinoa

Jump to Post

03.24.2013 12:57pm

Big Tall
Taller Than Tall

FFVI: Relm, Strago, Gau, Umaro, Mog
FFVII: Aeris, Cait Sith, Yuffie
FFVIII: Selphie, Irvine, Zell
FFIX: Quina, Amarant

For the Mass Effect games I generally try and run with the same party throughout each game. In the first it was Wrex and Liara. In the second it was Liara and one of Miranda, Kasumi (Shadow Strike is incredible), or Grunt (Can't have Wrex? Well at least I have a Krogan). In the third it was Liara and Garrus or Javik. Jacob and James are the only two in the series I never use unless forced to. I want to bring Garrus a lot of the time, but I prefer biotics or straight up combat over his sniping.

Jump to Post

03.24.2013 6:05pm
 (Edited on 03.24.2013 at 6:11pm)

Rhaegar
World Warrior 21007

FFVI: Strago, Relm, Gau, Umaro
FFVII: Cait Sith (Worthless limit breaks and worthless character.)
FFVIII: Selphie (Random limit breaks just not as good as reliable damage.)
FFIX: Amarant (Just never fits in.)
FFX: Kimahri (I just tag him into every single fight possible for AP, defend, then tag him back out. Weakest charater ever though.)
Mass Effect 2: Jacob
Mass Effect 3: James
Shadow Hearts: Margarette
Shadow Hearts: Covenant: Gepetto, Lucia
Baldur's Gate II: Mazzy, Cernd (boring personalities, plus outclassed by better characters; why the fuck use Cernd when Jaheira is better in every possible way?)
KOTOR 1: Pretty much all non-Jedi "meatbags."
KOTOR 2: GO-TO, any "meatbags" who can't be trained into Jedi or aren't already Jedi.

Seems more often than not I go for utility. I am a bit of a powergamer at times, so makes sense. Like I hate FFVIII's Rinoa with the fury of a thousand suns as a character, but you can't deny that her stats are ridiculous and the sheer power of Meteor + Angel Wing. Same with Aerie in Baldur's Gate II, being a Cleric/Mage multi and all. And then in BGII there are characters I gladly leave out of my party depending on what class my PC is (e.g. annoying and whiny Anomen if I'm a Cleric of some sort, boring Valygar if I'm someone who can backstab, preachy fuddy-duddy Keldorn if I'm a Paladin myself).

Jump to Post

03.24.2013 6:17pm

Kal
yes

IIRC, Kimahri suffered from a super-shitty starting spot on the sphere grid and by the time he gets on a path that could make him good, all the other characters are already highly specialized.  So yeah I never used him. Plus I really hate his design.

FF6: Relm, Strago, Umaro, Gau
FF7: Cait Sith, Vincent
FF8: Selphie, Quistis, Rinoa
FF9: Amarant, Quina
FF10: Kimahri, not fond of Rikku either
FF12: Uh.... All of them except Balthier? dunno.

Jump to Post

03.24.2013 6:22pm
 (Edited on 03.24.2013 at 6:27pm)

Rhaegar
World Warrior 21007

That, plus Kimahri's limit breaks are also ass. (Although to be fair, so are Auron's once you get up to REALLY high levels â?? when everyone is all up in everyone else's grid and dealing 99999 with everything and multi-attacking limits take over the game.)

Jump to Post

03.24.2013 6:49pm

Murasame
HALE YEAH

reido said:

My statements in regards to Quistis BLU skills goes for Zell and Irvine's limits too--unless you game the system (ie: Aura), the limits in FFVIII are too unreliable and unpredictable (and also the game is mostly too easy) to really apply to my character-usage decisions.  There have been whole playthroughs where the only one I used, the only one that came up naturally, was Rinoa's.

Zell's limit is the MOST useful limit of all the limits. You can stack up thousands upon thousands of points of damage through the X-O and L-R-L loop. The first time I beat the game I did it on lvl 100 with a terrible understanding of how the game worked, and without Zell, I would have been completely and utterly fucked.

Jump to Post

03.24.2013 6:49pm

CaButler
Winter Knight of the Unseelie Court

Shadow Hearts: Covenant: I kinda stopped using Gepetto and Anastasia after a while.  I generally use everybody else, including Lucia, who is a beast with her tarot cards and her oils.

Jump to Post

03.24.2013 7:23pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

Murasame said:

Zell's limit is the MOST useful limit of all the limits. You can stack up thousands upon thousands of points of damage through the X-O and L-R-L loop. The first time I beat the game I did it on lvl 100 with a terrible understanding of how the game worked, and without Zell, I would have been completely and utterly fucked.

Oh, lots of them are useful.  It's what you have to do to actually use them that I do'nt like.  I'm specifically talking the random nature of even having the LIMIT option pop up on your menu--even at yellow health, even with Aura, it still only shows up SOMETIMES.  Which means you either accept that you do'tn have it, or tab between characters until you do.  Which I find obnoxious.

Jump to Post

03.25.2013 5:44am

KyleIII
Registered Member

I'm the type of person who always rotates characters, and it's pretty rare I have someone that I never use. It's been a long time since I've played an RPG where only characters in your party gain experience, but in those cases I usually just rotate everyone in between missions to keep them evenly levelled.

I guess I'm in the minority in the Mass Effect games. The human characters are probably my most used in all of them. I almost always have Kaiden or Ashley in my group in ME1, Jacob and Miranda are constants in 2, and I really enjoy James in 3. I'm really surprised James gets so much hate, I thought he was a really fun character. Tali always stays on the ship when I play. I never use Liara in ME1 either, although I use her pretty often in 3. In 2, I never use Mordin.

In the KotOR games, I rarely use T3. I like his personality, especially in 2, but I find it hard to justify using him. Same goes for GO-TO.

Jump to Post

03.25.2013 7:58am

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

Yeah, I rarely used Liara in ME1, especially if I was playing as God Adept Shepard with Assault Rifles, Singularity, and the hilarious broken-ness of Stasis Mastery.

Jump to Post

03.25.2013 12:12pm

Zo
another blue ribbon

A lot of the things I disliked about FFVIII involved gaming the system. I hated using the Punch Rush/Booya combo because it felt so gamey, really took me out of the experience. Same for the whole limit break system in that game to be honest, but characters like Rinoa and Selphie felt more... honest to me because it's not just a case of "low HP/Aura, spam til battle ends". You have to work for it in a way that you really don't with characters like Squall and Zell. Plus the whole Punch Rush/Booya combo is tedious as hell.

In the Mass Effect universe it was always the aliens I used rather than the humans. The human characters always rubbed me the wrong way - I was all about Tali, Garrus and Wrex from the first; Legion, Mordin and Thane from the second; and then EDI, Tali and Varrus from the third. You have all these amazing alien partners, why not use them?

Jump to Post

03.25.2013 12:58pm

Atma Weapon
I Am Pure Energy

I never really used Khimari except to eat damage. Does that make me speciesist?

Jump to Post

03.25.2013 2:00pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

No.  Khimari is awful.  That's a fact.

Jump to Post

03.25.2013 2:46pm

amaron
No answer, must be that deaf bitch.

Atma Weapon said:

I never really used Khimari except to eat damage. Does that make me speciesist?

He was a Big Guard mule for me, that's it.

Jump to Post

03.25.2013 4:45pm

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

Suddenly I understand why people thought the Seymour fight on Gagazaet was difficult, all these peeps not using the best character in the game Wakka

Jump to Post

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter