Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Role Playing Games

RPG character you don't use unless you have to.

03.21.2013 4:41pm

Catastrophe
I'm Catbug!

reido said:

... People don't use Auron? *mind blown*

You heard me. >.>

Jump to Post

03.21.2013 4:48pm

amaron
No answer, must be that deaf bitch.

Catastrophe said:

You heard me. >.>

Jump to Post

03.21.2013 9:21pm

Ladile
Medic!

JSG said:
Usually I pick characters based on how much I like them as characters and my choices have absolutely nothing to do with their prowess in battle.

For the most part, this.  However, the majority of the characters I don't use mirror most of the other posts in this thread.  Let me think...

FFVI - Strago, Mog, Umaro, Gau
FFVII - Aeris, Cid, Barret
FFVIII - Selphie, Irvine
FFIX - Quina, Amarant
FFX - I make sure to use everyone but if I had to leave anyone out, it'd be Kimahri and Wakka
FFXII - Same as above, but I'd leave out Penelo, Vaan, and Fran if I had to pick
FFT - Depends on my mood, but I almost never bother with Meliadoul or Malak/Marach (oddly enough I like using Rafa/Rapha)
Shadow Hearts - Margarete
Shadow Hearts: Covenant - I liked everyone but tended to not use Gepetto, Blanca, or Joachim as much as the others
Shadow Hearts: FtNW - Natan and Ricardo
Mass Effect series - I liked everyone but never did use Wrex, Grunt, or Liara in their respective games as much as the others
Dragon Age series - Never bothered much with Sten, Zevran, or Morrigan and I'm tangled in a confusing web of love and hate for Anders

Jump to Post

03.21.2013 11:56pm

Vyers
Dark Adonis

Catastrophe said:

I've always had a tendency to be a 'hipster' when playing RPG's, using characters that most people can't stand and shunning the more 'popular' and 'better' ones. So characters like Barrett from VII, Zell and Irvine from VII, Steiner and Amarant from IX, Auron from X, and so on.

I don't know how hipster you can be in the games you named, since they have such a small character roster.

And I'm pretty sure everyone and their mother used Zell, Steiner and Auron.

Crazy strong sword techs and Booyah Punch-rush make these character neither weak nor underused.

Jump to Post

03.22.2013 2:08am

Zo
another blue ribbon

No idea why people don't use Selphie. Wall and Full-cure have saved my life so, so many times.

Plus I think I just live in hope for the day when I don't accidentally skip The End.

Jump to Post

03.22.2013 4:00am

JSG
Registered Member

Selphie just seems kind of useless to me in a game where I could just have Squall, Zell, Irvine, and an infinite stock of Aura.  I've lost with Selphie before becuase I was cycling through her options looking for something worthwhile and not getting it.

Also, I just can't stand Selphie the character.

Also also, everyone I know used Zell and Auron.  I thought they were the MOST common characters in their games.

Jump to Post

03.22.2013 4:06am

Crux
A mental Dentist's office

Big Guard > Wall

But I too dream of the day I don't skip The End

Jump to Post

03.22.2013 2:41pm

Catastrophe
I'm Catbug!

Vyers said:

Crazy strong sword techs and Booyah Punch-rush make these character neither weak nor underused.

Except by me :P

-----

I think in the six or so times that I've played FFVIII, I think I've seen The End twice. How many times have I skipped over it? Probably once. Shows you just how often that spell showed up for me. :P

Jump to Post

03.22.2013 3:24pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

My statements in regards to Quistis BLU skills goes for Zell and Irvine's limits too--unless you game the system (ie: Aura), the limits in FFVIII are too unreliable and unpredictable (and also the game is mostly too easy) to really apply to my character-usage decisions.  There have been whole playthroughs where the only one I used, the only one that came up naturally, was Rinoa's.

Jump to Post

03.22.2013 11:31pm

Atma Weapon
I Am Pure Energy

Zo said:

No idea why people don't use Selphie. Wall and Full-cure have saved my life so, so many times.

Plus I think I just live in hope for the day when I don't accidentally skip The End.
Selphie is one of the keys to pulling off a min level game. Her limits really pull you through the early boss fights, like Diabolos, before you get access to super-powers via card mod.

Every RPG has characters I never use. The most unusual case, in the FF series, is probably Tifa. I know Final Heaven makes her one of the best, but I avoid her for reasons I can't really explain.

I have no idea why people don't use Yuffie. Ranged attack? Check. Best final weapon? Double check. Death of the Living? Triple check.

Jump to Post

03.23.2013 12:16am

Mavilu
Yep, still gaming

On the first playthrough, I always use everyone.
You never know when you might need that one character you never used.
But on the top of my head, once it's not necesary to have her in my party, I tend to always ditch Garnet and just use Eiko.

Jump to Post

03.24.2013 1:43am

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

Crono said:

To be fair (and I'm looking at this from a speedrunner's perspective) Cait Sith is quite broken when you learn how to manipulate slots and one of the 3 most useful characters (Tifa and Cid).  But for a normal playthrough I understand the hater-aid.

I hated using Anise in TotA.  She was so slow.  There was a character like that in Vesperia too but I can't remember who.

Oh i dont think hes useless, just annoyed by his battle animations!

Zo said:

I can count the number of times, besides the OW fight, when my life needed saving in that game on one finger. i just picked the characters i like

Jump to Post

03.24.2013 3:03am

Ladile
Medic!

Atma Weapon said: I have no idea why people don't use Yuffie. Ranged attack? Check. Best final weapon? Double check. Death of the Living? Triple check.

I love using Yuffie! I usually stick to her, Cloud, Tifa and RedXIII.

Jump to Post

03.24.2013 3:23am

Cult of Personality
Insert witty remark here.

FF7: Barret, Aeris, Cait Sith, Vincent
FF8: Selphie, Rinoa, Irvine
FF9: Quina, Amarant, Freya
FF10: Wakka, Rikku, Kimahri
Mass Effect 2: Jacob.  Jacob can die.
Mass Effect 3: James.  Don't care for him at all.

Jump to Post

03.24.2013 12:36pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

Jacob, a walking piece of cardboard!

I also never use Jack in ME2.  But were I given the oppurtunity I'd've used her all the way through ME3. 

I actually like James, but not as much as I like the majority of the other characters, so he rarely gets any use.

Jump to Post

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter