Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Role Playing Games

RPG character you don't use unless you have to.

03.25.2013 5:30pm

Rhaegar
World Warrior 21007

I used Wakka a lot in FFX. Attack Reels and Auroch Reels can deal a ton of damage.

Jump to Post

03.25.2013 8:51pm

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

Spidey said:

Suddenly I understand why people thought the Seymour fight on Gagazaet was difficult, all these peeps not using the best character in the game Wakka

Oh good, I'm not the only person who thought that fight was kinda easy. Though Wakka was one of my major characters in that fight, Yuna was the dealbreaker for me. Her overdrive summon-and-banish nukes along with her judicious use of supporting white magic like Dispel and Reflect fucked with Flux's AI big time.

I tended to use all my characters except for Kimahri in X though. Everyone had their uses.

Jump to Post

03.25.2013 9:00pm

amaron
No answer, must be that deaf bitch.

Onyx said:

Oh good, I'm not the only person who thought that fight was kinda easy. Though Wakka was one of my major characters in that fight, Yuna was the dealbreaker for me. Her overdrive summon-and-banish nukes along with her judicious use of supporting white magic like Dispel and Reflect fucked with Flux's AI big time.

I tended to use all my characters except for Kimahri in X though. Everyone had their uses.

Bio makes the Mortibody fights easy.

Jump to Post

03.25.2013 10:35pm

Dr Squirrel
medicine woman

I banned myself from using Aeon overdrives on boss fights because they'd make ANY boss easy.  

Get all your Aeons + Yuna's overdrives to full before entering and there is no boss fight, just a collection of Aeon cinematics.

trust me, i'm a doctor

Jump to Post

03.26.2013 12:29am

Mavilu
Yep, still gaming

amaron said:

Bio makes the Mortibody fights easy.
Oh definitely, he goes down like a sack of potatoes when you poison him.

Jump to Post

03.26.2013 12:32am
 (Edited on 03.26.2013 at 12:46am)

Plectrude
Preivously known as F1r18

I like to "get rid" of the grinding battles as quickly as possible, so I have a tendency to prefer fighters over magic casters. Usually, magic has a little animation that takes more time than a fighter doing a simple attack. At the end, magic or melee hit for 999 or 9,999 anyways. So no Relm or Strago for me in FF6.

I also avoid a character that has low agility / speed which will let the enemies attack before him/her. Yes, I'm looking at you, Robo and Lucca :)

But ultimately, it depends on how I relate to a character. If Cait Sith was a good fighter that could hit repeatdly 9,999 by pressing the Fight button, I would still ban him from my party. Even if Aeris kind of sucked in battle, I kept her for all Disc 1 when she was available.

Jump to Post

03.26.2013 11:45am

Murasame
HALE YEAH

Dr Squirrel said:

I banned myself from using Aeon overdrives on boss fights because they'd make ANY boss easy.  

Get all your Aeons + Yuna's overdrives to full before entering and there is no boss fight, just a collection of Aeon cinematics.

Except of course, by doing that, you use up like five separate turns in which you probably could have done more damage to one dude. Throwing out an aeon in OD mode to damage not only Seymour but the little dude he stole health from wasn't cheating, it was a simpler way of doing what you'd normally do.

Jump to Post

03.26.2013 1:30pm

Colinp42
Registered Member

Yeah - I remember the problem with my first playthrough when I had just powered up the Aeons was the final battle.  You know, the one you couldn't die in?  That took me so long!

Jump to Post

03.26.2013 1:42pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

I did that the first time, too.

Jump to Post

03.29.2013 12:11am

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

Plectrude said:

I like to "get rid" of the grinding battles as quickly as possible, so I have a tendency to prefer fighters over magic casters. Usually, magic has a little animation that takes more time than a fighter doing a simple attack. At the end, magic or melee hit for 999 or 9,999 anyways. So no Relm or Strago for me in FF6.

I also avoid a character that has low agility / speed which will let the enemies attack before him/her. Yes, I'm looking at you, Robo and Lucca :)

But ultimately, it depends on how I relate to a character. If Cait Sith was a good fighter that could hit repeatdly 9,999 by pressing the Fight button, I would still ban him from my party. Even if Aeris kind of sucked in battle, I kept her for all Disc 1 when she was available.

Lucca becomes reallly fun  if you equip nothing but speed boosting accessories on her and user your speed tabs on her. It's well worth it, especially the tabs, since your other characters are above the threshold to attack before the other enemies anyway, it doesn't matter for them to have extra. You could do the same for Robo as well, but IIRC not both, since there aren't normally enough accessories and tabs to do this for both until late in game.

Jump to Post

03.29.2013 9:45am

Kal
yes

Colinp42 said:

Yeah - I remember the problem with my first playthrough when I had just powered up the Aeons was the final battle.  You know, the one you couldn't die in?  That took me so long!
Hah, I came in to the final fights fully prepared, everyone in overdrive, the aeons too and well, two hits and it was over. Then there was the other boss and I was like "oh this is the real final fight" but nope, you can't die.

Most anti-climactic final boss ever.

Jump to Post

03.29.2013 1:45pm

Crono
Crono can cross dimensions too!

Lucca has her uses.  Most people don't realize that her Hypno Wave actually works on seveal bosses including the beasts from the mudimp fight (which is in my opinion the most annoying but not difficult fight in the game).  Masa/Mune, as well as Azala are susceptable too.  I think it works on the Displays in Mother Brain fight too but I've never seen a point to it since I brute force my way.  NOT TO MENTION Omega Flare which is the most broken triple tech in the game.   If you do a 100% speedrun (all sidequests after first Lavos fight) you spend the last several hours just casting that pretty much.

Currently Playing: Dark Cloud 2: 3 hours.
Also Playing: CT, FF VI, Solatorobo, Secret of Mana, Halo 4.
Just Finished: Fable II: 7 hours.

Jump to Post

03.30.2013 8:40pm

ManjiSanji
Insanity Mongoose

I tended to love the characters people seem to hate.

I thought Quina was fun, as was Cait Sith.  Gau was fan-fucking-tastic, especially if you got Stray Cat early on.  He just *DESTROYED* things.

Kihmari was totally useless, though.

Jump to Post

03.31.2013 11:08am

Big Tall
Taller Than Tall

ManjiSanji said:

I tended to love the characters people seem to hate.

I thought Quina was fun, as was Cait Sith.  Gau was fan-fucking-tastic, especially if you got Stray Cat early on.  He just *DESTROYED* things.

Kihmari was totally useless, though.

Gau is great if you take the time to learn his rages, but unless I'm on a completionist run or something I generally don't use him.

Jump to Post

03.31.2013 1:37pm

shadowphoenix
It all ends with beginnings...

Gau
Cait Sith
Zell
Quina
Lulu
Sazh

Jump to Post

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter