Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Community Discussion  >  Entertainment Discussion

Days of Future Past

< Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 Next >

05.06.2014 5:16am

Old Juan
filled with hate

In hands of lesser actors this scene could come off as...."Fuck you" "No Fuck you" "No I said fuck you first" "Fuck off"

Nice to see Wolvie still being a dick though

Jump to Post

05.21.2014 7:14pm

shadowphoenix
It all ends with beginnings...

Movie Reviewer - Matt Looker said:

It's a film that serves as a prequel, a sequel and a bridge between the two. And, most of all, it serves as a giant "f ... you" to X-Men: The Last Stand.

That's the best movie review one could ask for in the X-Men world.

Jump to Post

05.22.2014 10:31pm

Zubis
Registered Member

Just home from it, great movie. Much better than I expected, and honestly, I was totally wrong about Quicksilver. He's still got a shit costume, but he's great when he's on screen.

They're not kidding when they say it's a FU to The Last Stand. They don't even try to explain the plotholes. I think they officially claim it doesn't exist.

Jump to Post

05.22.2014 10:42pm
Thread Creator

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

Ah, so continueing FIRST CLASS's tradition of just outright ignoring that steaming pile of horseshit, then.  Good, good.

Jump to Post

05.22.2014 11:11pm

Fincher
Deep Water Horizon

Whereas I like The Last Stand, and The Wolverine (which directly follows from it) is one of my very favorite comic book movies.

Then again, I didn't think First Class worked as a prequel to the original movies and thought it should be a reboot.  So I figured all along that I'd have to treat Days of Future Past as non-headcanon except as a sequel to First Class.

Currently playing: Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box, Picross DS
Last played: Time Hollow (good)
Last watched: Agent Carter (very good)
Me on Favslist

Jump to Post

05.23.2014 12:10am

Zo
another blue ribbon

Yeah, this is very much more of a First Class sequel than a continuation of the original trilogy franchise. For all that Stewart and McKellen et al have a surprising amount of screentime, theirs is a framing device for the story in the 70s and little else - I'm not even sure Oscar Winner Halle Berry has any dialogue (and somehow Anna Paquin gets billing above Ellen Page despite being in this movie for 3/5ths of a second). 

Also the Bryan Singer story is disgusting on many levels, not least is the tendency of the media to forget that rich and successful men plying questionably young teens with booze and coke at sexy parties is still gross even when both participants are heterosexual.

Jump to Post

05.23.2014 8:20am

grey_haven
Formerly known as 'Trekster'

Awesome movie! That being said...
Spoiler: Move your mouse over the container to reveal.

It doesn't claim The Last Stand doesn't exist. They flash back to it. They have Wolvering act in shock when he sees Cyclops is still alive and such. Sooo...
Xavier died in X3. Wolverine has bone claws at the end of The Wolverine. They never explain how both of those things are reversed in the dark future do they? Am I missing something?

Jump to Post

05.23.2014 8:41am

Areas
Formerly Kenshin

Wolverine was taken by Mystique at the end of the movie.  I'm assuming that he never runs into Stryker so he never gets his adamantium.  It very much was a fuck you to the Last Stand.  They effectively fixed every stupid thing that happened in that movie.   Rogue keeps her powers, Jean doesn't kill Scott, Jean is alive, and so is Xavier.

Loved the movie.  It was a sequel to the First Class and simultaneously a closing of the original trilogy.   Make sure to stay through the credits.  Can't wait for what they teased. :D

Jump to Post

05.23.2014 9:33am

Old Juan
filled with hate

Just got back myself. I'm in agreement that it was a great movie. And yes Quicksilver is most definately a scene stealer.

Given the what we saw in the trailers, we definately missed some important scenes between Wolverine and Mystique because her taking him at the end didn't make much sense otherwise. Yes this movie was a big fuck you to the last stand, which is a good thing. Goddamn Famke still looks fantastic. I'm not a huge Cyclops fan by any stretch but it was actually nice seeing the character again.

Really enjoyed the scenes between Jackman and McAvoy. The actors had a great repore and their scenes were just as compelling as those of McAvoy and Fassbender. Good stuff all around from all the actors.

Even though I've never agreed with this charge, all the complainers who constantly acuse the X-Men films of being "Wolverine" films can chill the fuck out already because this movie is most definately not centered on that character. Xavier is at the films heart and center, followed closely by Magneto and their relationship dynamic.

Jump to Post

05.23.2014 2:50pm

grey_haven
Formerly known as 'Trekster'

Areas said:

Wolverine was taken by Mystique at the end of the movie.  I'm assuming that he never runs into Stryker so he never gets his adamantium.  It very much was a fuck you to the Last Stand.  They effectively fixed every stupid thing that happened in that movie.   Rogue keeps her powers, Jean doesn't kill Scott, Jean is alive, and so is Xavier.

Loved the movie.  It was a sequel to the First Class and simultaneously a closing of the original trilogy.   Make sure to stay through the credits.  Can't wait for what they teased. :D
No. I get that. That's the history that gets rewritten. I'm talking about before that. The Xavier that showed up in the stinger of The Wolverine was talking to a Logan with bone claws. The dark future takes place after that and Wolverine suddenly has adamantium claws again.
The only explaination in is in the stinger where Xavier says "You're not the only one with gifts." But they never explain how that hapens. It isn't Kitty Pride bringing him back. Because whoever she sent back is the only one that would remember he died.

Jump to Post

05.23.2014 9:11pm

JSG
Registered Member

Just saw it. Really, really good.

Except for, uh, why could Kitty send people back in time? Did they ever explain why she suddenly has a second power?

I wish Quicksilver had more screentime. It really felt like they just put him in the movie to beat Avengers to the punch. Still, he was one of the most fun things about the movie.

I like that Mystique had such a big role in the movie. She's been my favorite X-Men character since I was a kid. Young Charles is a lot better this time around. I didn't like him too much in First Class. I dunno if it's because of a better director or if McAvoy just stepped it up, but whatever happened, it resulted in a better character and a better performance.

I wasn't a fan of killing off the whole First Class cast offscreen, but I guess they had to do something to make you (and the characters) really hate Trask. Because Peter Dinklage is way too charismatic otherwise. You just can't hate the guy.

Jump to Post

05.23.2014 10:37pm

Coolsetzer
Formerly Furysetzer

I never saw First Class, but I did see the original trilogy. Is there anything I need to know before I watch the sequel/prequel/reboot?

Jump to Post

05.23.2014 10:41pm

Zubis
Registered Member

JSG said:

Just saw it. Really, really good.

Except for, uh, why could Kitty send people back in time? Did they ever explain why she suddenly has a second power?

So apparently in the comics her power's always been able to phase through dimensions. Time is a dimension I guess.

Jump to Post

05.23.2014 10:54pm

Zo
another blue ribbon

The way I read it was that they could have given the chronoskimming power to a random newbie, but this way you get more Ellen Page screentime. Although the Shadowcat wikipedia article is a blast: apparently in addition to being a phasing mutant, Kitty Pryde is also a genius computer programmer, professional-level ballet dancer, speaks at least 7 languages, is a master of aikido, karate and ninjutsu, and has her own pet dragon. I kind of hate her.

Jump to Post

05.23.2014 11:03pm

Zubis
Registered Member

Zo, there is at least one future comic where she becomes President.

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter