Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Community Discussion  >  Entertainment Discussion

GAME OF THRONES: SEASON 4

< Prev 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 ... 20 Next >

06.16.2014 5:41am
 (Edited on 06.16.2014 at 6:42am)

Rhaegar
World Warrior 21007

AFFC/ADWD spoilers:

Spoiler: Move your mouse over the container to reveal.
No way they cut out Cersei's shaming. Or everything leading up to it. That's, like, the one plot line that even moves at all in AFFC. And Cersei's behavior in this finale was basically just a taste to come of her going full Queen Batshit.

Season finales have been pretty weak for this whole series, so to call this one the best season finale isn't really saying much. But it was good ... for the most part.

After that second Jamie-Cersei sex scene on the LC's table, where Cersei is the one initiating it, I'm convinced that D&D felt a little bit of guilt from making the tomb scene a lot more rapey than in the books. Like that was thrown in to make up for it, almost.

It's probably for the best that they put off the Lord Commander Snow stuff until next season. It gives them SOME meat to work with in the early part of next season, especially with the other plotlines already extending into AFFC/ADWD.

I think we'll see Lady Stoneheart next season, too, at some point. Hell, it may even be more appropriate to introduce her then, as it would serve as a pretty neat parallel to Cersei going batshit.

Also, if this is any indication, we will indeed be seeing plenty of Dorne next season.

However, one change I DEFINITELY did NOT like, and will have a serious butterfly effect:

Tyrion and Jaime parting on friendly terms, with nothing about Tysha. Tyrion's hatred and distrust for everyone in his family, Jaime included, was integral to his ADWD development.

Jump to Post

06.16.2014 7:00am

ManjiSanji
Insanity Mongoose

No Lady Stoneheart=mind blown.  Ending on that seemed like such a no brainer that I'm stunned they didn't do it.  Maybe they felt like it would be TOO big of a cliff-hanger?

No Coldhands is really disappointing.  I thought, maybe, he'd pop up in that scene where they're approaching the tree, but nope.  Killing Jojen also seemed strange, because it's heavily hinted that Bran has to eat him in order to become what he becomes.

But most of all I was disappointed at the lack of the Tysha reveal.  I get that they're really going for a brotherly love thing with Jamie and Tyrion, but there was so much raw emotion in the book that to spare us from that on the show just seems really out of place and it seems like really poor writing, especially when you already had it to work with.

I'm starting to wonder if they're changing things/leaving things out because they don't think the audience will remember/will care, and that just feels insulting.  I still love the show, and I thought it was a good episode, but it could have been knockout-amazing, and all they had to do was stick with what had already been written.  I'm not saying the books are infallible (in fact, I think the show has improved on a lot of it in many, many ways) but they're leaving out some of the best material by far, and it's just...confusing.

I am glad they kept the burnt child.  That was really well done.

Jump to Post

06.16.2014 7:37am

Tristan
Just Giv'r

Rhaegar said:

However, one change I DEFINITELY did NOT like, and will have a serious butterfly effect:

Tyrion and Jaime parting on friendly terms, with nothing about Tysha. Tyrion's hatred and distrust for everyone in his family, Jaime included, was integral to his ADWD development.

Yeah, I'm puzzled why they didn't drop that line. There's even a pause where they might have had it in at some point but no dice. I don't think it's that big of a deal though since they could always do it later down the line and make it work if need be. Besides, he's got enough shit to work through on his journey as it stands anyways.

Pretty solid finale but I'm wondering what is going to happen with some of these stoylines that are ahead of schedule so to speak.

Jump to Post

06.16.2014 3:08pm
Thread Creator

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

She don't speak.  You bloody bastards cut her too deep out of the plot for that.  But she remembers.

Honestly they could bring Stoneheart in next season.  for all the forward-jumping they've been doing, they're also somehow behind on certain plots (see: Balon).  If they wait and introduce her with Brienne and flesh out Brienne's plot with her, it could work.  Brienne is a HUGE show character compared to how she is in the books, and in the books her upcoming plot is:
Wander, get in fights, wander, get in a fight, meet Stoneheart, vanish off the page, show up again at the end of someone else's chapter, and then vanish again.  if they open up Brienne and Stoneheart's plot it would give both actresses more to do, which I figure is necessary in order to get Stoneheart's actress back.

They've always done a lot of POV-opening, since the show is an omniscient perspective compared to the books' character-specific POV.  See:  Renly and Loras, tons of early-show Cersei, Oberyn and Tywin, lots of Shae.

I know it's wildly divergent of the canon, but having Brienne kick the shit out of the Hound was amazing, and a change I can fully support.  The contant near-misses between characters are frustrating, but the books do that too so I can forgive it.

What I can't forgive is how much screen time was given to boring-ass Bran and boring-ass Jon.  What a fucking waste.  In Jon's case, we didn't need to see him moping around about Ygritte (remember kids, Ygritte was an awful, awful person).  Even the good parts of his plot this week--the chat with Mance specifically, which was GREAT--had my screaming GET ON WITH IT GODDAMN IT.  And Bran?  We're deep deep deep into Bran's book-5 story.  I really expected them to end his plot when they find the tree but noooooooooooooooooooooo. (
(Also:  WTF was that skeleton bullshit?  Dumb, dumb.)

Jump to Post

06.16.2014 3:48pm

Zo
another blue ribbon

Man at this point it feels like it's been so long since the Red Wedding, they'd have a hell of a time
resurrecting Catelyn or even recognising the corpse if they came across it. River water not being known for its preservative properties and that.
I haven't read much farther than the end of this series, but does Stoneheart play a significant enough role in the books that they couldn't cut her completely if they wanted to?

Jump to Post

06.16.2014 3:56pm
 (Edited on 06.16.2014 at 5:12pm)

Rhaegar
World Warrior 21007

I like the Jon and Bran segments. :(

Huge ADWD spoilers:

Speaking of which, anyone else think that Bran's ability to see through time is going to be how the show justifies prequel material (a whole season or even a smattering of prequel episodes) down the line? (For the record, I'd be totally OK with this. The show's gonna have a lot of history and context to step back and explain anyway if it's going where it could be going.)

@ Zo:

For all we'd know her resurrection could've already happened in the show timeline, but they'll just reveal her in proper Stoneheart form when appropriate.

I can't imagine them cutting her out though. Especially with the comparatively thin plots of AFFC/ADWD, they'll need all they can use.

I mean, come on, they teased freaking FrankenGregor aka "Robert Strong" and he's no more significant at the moment.

Jump to Post

06.16.2014 4:31pm
Thread Creator

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

Yeah, Robert Strong more or less confirmed, sans ambiguity. 

Jump to Post

06.16.2014 9:51pm

Jaran
I'm going to try SCIENCE!

Answers re: Lady Stoneheart

Jump to Post

06.17.2014 3:01am

Nelfichu
I've been there, hombre.

I too loved the Jon and Bran bits. That skeleton fight was the best thing since Jason and the Argonauts.
Even seeing Jojen get stabbed half a dozen times, I still thought, "Oh man, they'll save him! They have to save him!" I love Jojen, so it makes me sad to see him more or less confirmed as dead in the books.

No Lady Stoneheart was a waste of an amazing cliffhanger, though honestly I can't even remember what happens with her in books 4 and 5.

Jump to Post

06.17.2014 1:25pm
Thread Creator

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

Nelf:
Essentially nothing, which is why I think they'd have to expand her story some--and expand Brienne's too--in order to give both actresses something to DO.

Jump to Post

06.17.2014 2:41pm

Kal
yes

wow the Bran segment was embarassing. Is this the 90's? Was I watching Hercules by accident?

Jump to Post

06.17.2014 3:33pm
Thread Creator

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

FIREBALL, FIREBALL, FIREBALL!

Jump to Post

06.17.2014 8:40pm

Atma Weapon
I Am Pure Energy

Yeah what the fuck was going on in that scene. It had a Last Airbender feel.

Jump to Post

06.20.2014 2:35am

ManjiSanji
Insanity Mongoose

They can do all that, but they kill Jojen (who is important for something later in the books) and we can't have Coldhands?

/grumble

Jump to Post

06.20.2014 2:54am

Rhaegar
World Warrior 21007

My only guess for that would be that the show will put Meera in the role that Jojen would be in the books. (Which, yeah, would obviously be D&D throwing the women a bone after their even-more-horrible-than-the-book treatment throughout the show at times.)

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 ... 20 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter