Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Community Discussion  >  Entertainment Discussion

GAME OF THRONES: SEASON 4

< Prev 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 20 Next >

07.29.2014 3:59am

Rhaegar
World Warrior 21007

Everything is set up for me to despise Show!Trystane more than I've despised any TV character in my life. Replacing a perfectly good and even more significant woman of color character? Check. Aged up along with Myrcella for doubtless some bullshit romance? Check. Whitewashed as fuck? Check. Probably going to come off as a complete dumbass when he takes the role of Arianne in that one plot in AFFC? Check.

Jump to Post

07.29.2014 11:58am

Kal
yes

With the exception of Alexander Siddig (who, funily, enough was the fans n°1 choice) and Jonathan Pryce, this new casting looks incredibly boring.
The decision to replace Arianne, who is a super interesting character (and has probably the only actually sexy sex scene in the entire series) by Trystane is sadly predictable and does not bode well for this season... I expect lots of cheesy Myrcella x Trystane romance in the gardens of the Alhambra.

And of course, WhitewashingTM, but that's par for the course by now.

Who wants to bet we get some girl on girl sex scenes with the Sand Snakes? Possibly even with one another?

Anyway, between the terribleness that was last season and all these announcements, my interest level for s5 is at about 23%.

Jump to Post

07.29.2014 2:06pm
Thread Creator

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

Kal said:
 (and has probably the only actually sexy sex scene in the entire series)

It's almost like sex between two willing and (essentially) equal participants is somehow sexier than rape and prostitution*.

Who wants to bet we get some girl on girl sex scenes with the Sand Snakes? Possibly even with one another?

I don't think they'd go that far, seeing as they're sisters.  GOT has enough sibling incest as it is.

*(Specifically because in this context the prostitutes are essentially non-characters, naked bodies without much personality.)

Jump to Post

07.29.2014 4:43pm

Nelfichu
I've been there, hombre.

Kal said:

Anyway, between the terribleness that was last season

Errr... what? Season 4 (minus the rapey Jaime/Cersei scene) was excellent. Did people really not like it?

Jump to Post

07.29.2014 4:51pm
Thread Creator

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

There some pretty glaring issues (general rapiness, going off-canon for no apparent reason, said off-canon content causing characters to make no fucking sense, lack of epilogue content YOU KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT HBO YOU BASTARDS), but overall I wasn't turned off.

Jump to Post

07.29.2014 5:46pm

Kal
yes

Nelfichu said:

Errr... what? Season 4 (minus the rapey Jaime/Cersei scene) was excellent. Did people really not like it?
This is all IMHO of course:
Battle at the Wall was incredibly underwhelming. 
Mance virtually non-existent. 
The Cersei/Jaime interactions were off the entire season.
The continued whitewashing of Saint Tyrion. What a boring character he's become.
Bran's arc continues to be boring. His scene in the finale was hilariously bad.
Generally awful dialogue when not lifting from the books.
Terrible pacing brought on by this idiotic "something big MUST happen at ep 9" format. 

Oberyn and the Bolton storylines (minus Asha's failed rescue attempt) were the only thing I liked about this season.

Overall I liked it better than s2 (which I thought was a huge borefest up until Blackwter) but it was on par with s3, both of which are waaaaay behind season 1. 
S1 was 9/10. S3 and 4 were a 5/10 for different reasons and s2 was a 3/10.

Eeh, yeah anyways, I just don't think it's a good show anymore. I'm not even talking compared to the books, I'm talking about the show itself, it's poorly written, the characterization is all over the place, the pacing is terrible and the dudebro-ness of D&D just seeps through every nook and cranny and that makes it grating to watch.  
Production values are top notch and I love seeing the world come alive, but it's not worth suffering through endless, inconsequential, pseudo-philosophical monologues.
The show now feels like it's directed like the SW prequels. People walking and talking. Walking and talking. Sitting and talking. Packing a suitcase and talking. (if you've watched the Red Letter Media reviews, you know what I'm talking about)

reido said:
I don't think they'd go that far, seeing as they're sisters.  GOT has enough sibling incest as it is.
Come on they're half-sisters.... That's not gonna stop them. They need one for the "perv audience"... :p 

(That said, I called a Missandei x Dany sex scene, so I have poor judgement obviously)

Jump to Post

07.29.2014 8:21pm

Rhaegar
World Warrior 21007

reido said:

lack of epilogue content YOU KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT HBO YOU BASTARDS)

Yeah, um, about that ...

Jump to Post

07.29.2014 10:02pm

Nelfichu
I've been there, hombre.

I honestly hope they're playing coy with the LSH business, saying it's definitely not going to happen only to surprise us. There was a lot going on in the finale, so I could kinda understand them pushing it into next season. Hopefully.

Kal said:

This is all IMHO of course: 
Battle at the Wall was incredibly underwhelming.  
Mance virtually non-existent.  
The Cersei/Jaime interactions were off the entire season. 
The continued whitewashing of Saint Tyrion. What a boring character he's become. 
Bran's arc continues to be boring. His scene in the finale was hilariously bad. 
Generally awful dialogue when not lifting from the books. 
Terrible pacing brought on by this idiotic "something big MUST happen at ep 9" format.  

I'll give you the Mance stuff. That's really been irritating given how important the Mance-going-ons in the book seem to be.

Bran's arc... well, the character doesn't exactly have that much to do in the books anyway. I think the show is handling it well for having almost burned through his whole storyline already.

As for the SW prequel comparison, I know exactly what you're talking about, but Game of Thrones has been doing that busywork-exposition thing since season 1. Not that that's any excuse, of course, it started getting old as far back as Tywin gutting that deer or whatever. But to say it's not a good show anymore... I'd understand that if we were talking about The Walking Dead or the last few seasons of Dexter, but IMO GoT is far and away better than 95% of other broadcast shows right now.

Jump to Post

07.30.2014 1:12am

Jaran
I'm going to try SCIENCE!

Nelfichu said:

I honestly hope they're playing coy with the LSH business, saying it's definitely not going to happen only to surprise us. There was a lot going on in the finale, so I could kinda understand them pushing it into next season. Hopefully.

Also having not read the books, my understanding is that

Spoiler: Move your mouse over the container to reveal.
LSH shows up, has some random Freys killed, and then awkward showdown with Brienne, but other than that there's just not much to her story yet so it makes no sense to tease her appearance and then not do anything with her for the entire rest of season 5.

Although given that Brienne has nothing to do now but crawl back to King's Landing in shame (or attempt to keep sniffing out Sansa, not sure how that's supposed to go in the books) if LSH doesn't show up next season she's prolly not showing up at all.

Jump to Post

07.30.2014 1:44pm
Thread Creator

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

Rhaegar said:

Yeah, um, about that ...

Ugh don't remind me.

Jump to Post

09.04.2014 2:58pm

Jaran
I'm going to try SCIENCE!

No Bran or Hodor next season it seems

Jump to Post

09.04.2014 4:47pm
Thread Creator

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

I love Hodor as much as the next guy but after the ridiculousness of that plot last season...

Jump to Post

09.04.2014 4:55pm
 (Edited on 09.05.2014 at 7:06pm)

Testament
Shamshot

Hodor!

Spoiler: Move your mouse over the container to reveal.
Hopefully they don't invent some absurd Skagosi storyline for Rickon.

Jump to Post

09.06.2014 3:33pm

Lexx
Terran Angel

I'd be fine if the show started branching off more and more from the books.  We're at the point where, aside from Jaime, Cersei, Jon/Stannis and Theon, the books turn to poo anyway.  Let the show have it's own ending, I say.  If nothing else it would be interesting to compare how they end things, then see how Gurm eventually ends things.

Jump to Post

09.06.2014 6:41pm

Rhaegar
World Warrior 21007

Meh, the hate for AFFC and ADWD is WAAAAAAY overblown. And the changes that are apparently taking shape for Season 5 are absolutely NOT for the better.

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 20 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter