Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Community Discussion  >  Entertainment Discussion

Game of Thrones: Season 5

< Prev 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next >

07.14.2015 1:20pm

Magnus
Registered Member

Hodor!

http://www.cinemablend.com/television/Game-Thrones-Good-News-Bran-Officially-Back-Season-6-73008.html

Jump to Post

07.14.2015 4:13pm

Testament
Shamshot

Hodor HODOR!

Jump to Post

07.15.2015 2:10am
Thread Creator

Jaran
I'm going to try SCIENCE!

Fans freaking out that filming location might be the Tower of Joy

Jump to Post

07.15.2015 2:26am
 (Edited on 07.15.2015 at 1:28pm)

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

I imagine they might include it in lieu of having Howland Reed eventually explain what happened there, since he's bascially a non-entity on the show in general.

Jump to Post

07.25.2015 4:30am

Spoony
TEH DISCORD CREW~

Late to the reply, I know, but I'm probably one of the only book fans around here that didn't have a problem with this season, probably because I didn't care much for the Dorne storyline in the first place.

I came for Dany's escape and "For the watch...", and I wasn't disappointed.

Jump to Post

07.25.2015 7:01am

Arckanghel
Pirate.

I'm with you Spoony. Some things were going to change and I'm just not that upset about it.

Jump to Post

07.25.2015 4:00pm
Thread Creator

Jaran

The anger isn't over "RAWR THEY'RE CHANGIN' THE BOOKS RAWR" it's "THIS SHOW INSISTS ON BOTH HAVING A TON OF SEXUAL VIOLENCE AND HANDLING IT POORLY!"

I think both camps are pretty much united on "WHAT EVEN WAS DORNE"

Jump to Post

07.25.2015 4:12pm

Rhaegar
World Warrior 21007

Seriously, EVERYONE expects changes from the books. That's just the nature of an adaptation. WE KNOW THIS. So stop fucking repeating that stupid red herring and insulting everyone's intelligence.

The changes in the earlier seasons, for the most part, made sense, or at least didn't detract from the general plot, setting or tone. It was Season 4 when the bad changes were more frequent, and then Season 5's changes were pretty much all bad.

Also, yes, putting in sexual violence for no good reason. The fact that Sansa was literally inserted into Jeyne Poole's storyline, from pillar to post, right down to the escape from Winterfell, with none of the expected (hoped for?) payoff of executing some sort of revenge on Ramsay was all the proof I need that D&D made Sansa = Jeyne just to get her raped. It disgusts me. Sansa was set up to the end of Season 4 to learn how to play the Game of Thrones (as in the books), but Season 5 threw that off the ledge of Winterfell. Literally.

Yeah. This season, and this show, pisses me the hell off. At this point, any future watching I'll do will literally amount to hate watching.

Jump to Post

07.25.2015 7:00pm

Spoony
TEH DISCORD CREW~

So Jeyne getting raped is a-ok, but Sansa isn't?  They're the same age and equally vulnerable.
I'm pretty sure Ramsay's comeuppance is coming in season 6, and Sansa will be a major part of it.  They didn't use her to replace Fake Arya/Jeyne just to get her raped.  They used her because otherwise she'd have spent the season sitting around in the Eeyrie doing nothing.

Jump to Post

07.25.2015 8:30pm

Rhaegar
World Warrior 21007

Spoony said:

So Jeyne getting raped is a-ok, but Sansa isn't?  They're the same age and equally vulnerable.
When did I say Jeyne getting raped was "a-ok'? Oh, right, I didn't, so don't put words in my mouth.

Rape as a plot device is problematic in general. But at least in Jeyne's case it made sense in context. Jeyne wasn't the one being developed over the course of five fucking novels/seasons as a previously naive little girl who learns how to survive in a nest of vipers, then was being groomed to learn how to play the game.

Sansa suffering Jeyne's rape in the show makes no such sense, charcter development or plotwise. It was gratuitous. And the Winterfell sequences in the rest of Season 5 only prove my point.

I'm pretty sure Ramsay's comeuppance is coming in season 6, and Sansa will be a major part of it.
And just how can you be so sure? Oh, right, you can't.

That they would hypothetically save this for Season 6, instead of give it some closure in Season 5, just stinks of bad structuring and storytelling. The bait-and-switch of having her SEVERAL TIMES grasping something sharp, then not providing closure to that is even worse. They reverted her entirely into damsel-in-distress mode (complete with saving by Theon!) for no logical reason.

They didn't use her to replace Fake Arya/Jeyne just to get her raped.
Knowing what D&D have put on screen recently, I have to disagree. I think they did that exactly to get Sansa raped.

I remember reading D&D had that scene planned for years, in fact. To put that in context, Sophie Turner was well underaged when they had planned it.

They're fucking gross. You do know Natalie Dormer had to talk D&D into enacting her scenes with King Tommen in a much less rapey way, too, right?

They used her because otherwise she'd have spent the season sitting around in the Eeyrie doing nothing.

She wasn't doing "nothing" in the Eyrie. She was learning bit by bit from Littlefinger how to play the game, and also dealing with the powers that be in the Vale. Hardly "nothing."

And even if you find it boring, it'd still be way the fuck more tolerable than Winterfell's Season 5 plot and its disgusting, aggressive stupidity.

Jump to Post

07.26.2015 1:37am

Arckanghel
Pirate.

Until one of us can tell the future or obtains the biggest leak in the last twenty years, none of this argument regarding Sansa is going to get decided. How does her story end in this version? None of us knows. Is it responsible to say there was no reason, and toss a Tumblr Trigger tag on the whole thing and toss it? I'm sorry but I don't think so.

Jump to Post

07.26.2015 5:50am

Nelfichu
I've been there, hombre.

Spoony said:

Late to the reply, I know, but I'm probably one of the only book fans around here that didn't have a problem with this season, probably because I didn't care much for the Dorne storyline in the first place.

I came for Dany's escape and "For the watch...", and I wasn't disappointed.

Yuuuuup. I'll give that Sansa's story kinda went backwards, but on the whole I enjoyed this season.

Jump to Post

07.27.2015 5:52pm

Colinp42
Registered Member

Started rereading the books (had only gotten through book 3 previously).  I'm halfway or a little more than halfway through Game of Thrones now.  I had forgotten how much I liked these books - much more than the show.  I THINK I'm going to try the reading books 4 and 5 together.  But it could be more trouble than it's worth - I'm reading it on an old-school Kindle and this came with all 5 books as like one book - so there would be a lot of clunky navigating to go back and forth between the 2.

Jump to Post

08.01.2015 5:48pm
Thread Creator

Jaran

Jump to Post

08.02.2015 3:10pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

So, Ian McShane just got cast for season 6.

Smart money says he's either Euron or Victarion.

Dumb money says he's, like, Randall Tarly or some other dumb shit like that.

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter