Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Community Discussion  >  Entertainment Discussion

Game of Thrones: Season 5

< Prev 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 15 Next >

06.16.2015 12:40am

Testament
Shamshot

This season could've been so much more, and not just if they had followed the books.  Most storylines that were created for the show were just bullshit, and the ones that didn't start that way...ended that way.

It's not just comparisons between book material and show material either.  The show has, indiscriminately, shat on existing material as well as shit that was exclusive to the show.

I have no problems with anybody liking the show, especially if you haven't read the books... just lamenting what could've (should've?) been.

Jump to Post

06.16.2015 1:38am
Thread Creator (Edited on 06.16.2015 at 1:47am)

Jaran
I'm going to try SCIENCE!

I haven't read the books either and this was still fucking infuriating.

Dorne existed for no other purpose than to sink yet another knife into the audience's heart.

Also final proof that Littlefinger is a fucking idiot

Jump to Post

06.16.2015 1:58am

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

My problem isn't that the show is different from the books.

My problem is that the show is stupid, and a lot of the stupidest things about it just happen to be the parts that are different from the books.

I think if you like the show and haven't read the books, you should do yourself a favor and just bite the bullet and read them.  I can't understand why anyone who likes the show wouldn't want to read a deeper, richer, superior, and less-stupid (but still frequently problematic!) version of the show they like so much.

Jump to Post

06.16.2015 3:44am

Id82
Fuck Shit Stack.

Have you seen those books? It would take me like ten years to get through them with my short attention span.

Jump to Post

06.16.2015 4:00am

Lexx
Terran Angel

Rhaegar said:

Say what you will about Book!Dorne, but even if you found it boring, you have to admit that at least it wasn't aggressively fucking stupid like Show!Dorne was. Same with Book!Meereen vs. Show!Meereen (and I didn't care for Book!Meereen).

I mentioned it before, but the complete mess of Show!Dorne has really helped me appreciate Book!Dorne.  And the Sand Snakes.  My poor Sand Snakes.

It also doesn't help that I'm still pissed I didn't get Jaime in the Riverlands.  My favorite damn part of Feast for Crows and it doesn't even exist in the stupid show.  Maybe it'll happen next season, but I don't know.  If the casting rumors are true then I don't know what the hell D&D are doing anymore regarding plotlines.

I'm also very disapointed in how Sansa's story ended up.  I was looking forward to Sansa learning to manipulate people and play the game in the Vale.  Instead we get Jeyne Poole.  Whatever.

Lots of other stuff but I'd just be repeating other people.  For the first time in the show's course I'm genuinely nervous over how the next season is going to turn out.

Jump to Post

06.16.2015 4:50am

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

Id82 said:

Have you seen those books? It would take me like ten years to get through them with my short attention span.

That just means when Winds of Winter finally comes out, you'll have just caught up!

*sobs inconsolably*

Jump to Post

06.16.2015 8:25am

Kellios
Yikes and away!

^ =(

The books are faster reads than people realize, I think (at least the first 3 - 4/5 are definitely much more difficult). Really, if you can get through the Harry Potter series, you can get through these.

Book complaints/whining:

Spoiler: Move your mouse over the container to reveal.
I really, really wished we had Lady Stoneheart. if there was any sense of justice left in Westeros, she was it for me. It made going through these other downer parts better. Manderly too. And we didn't even get Doran's "Fire and Blood" speech. I wanted to see more of the Vale. I wanted to see the Blackfish rip apart Jaime verbally in the Riverlands. Hell, I just wanted to see the Blackfish but we got none of that this season.

This show can be brilliant when it wants to be. The Hardhome episode is proof of that. But holy hell, were the decisions made by the showrunners incredibly poor this season otherwise.

Jump to Post

06.16.2015 10:48am

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

I"m considering getting into the books now. That was the worst season of the show by far. I didn't even know it departed from the books until i read up on the differnces after the season finale, and I already felt like this season was just really bad - not knowing it departed from the books.

Jump to Post

06.16.2015 1:36pm

Colinp42
Registered Member

reido said:

My problem isn't that the show is different from the books.

My problem is that the show is stupid, and a lot of the stupidest things about it just happen to be the parts that are different from the books.

I think if you like the show and haven't read the books, you should do yourself a favor and just bite the bullet and read them.  I can't understand why anyone who likes the show wouldn't want to read a deeper, richer, superior, and less-stupid (but still frequently problematic!) version of the show they like so much.

I read the first 3.  But my interest was waning with the third, and I tried starting the fourth and couldn't make myself care.  I'm thinking of just getting all 5 on kindle for $20 and starting over though.  I have a bad imagination for faces so having actors for Dorne people will actually help me.

Jump to Post

06.16.2015 4:44pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

Books 4+5 work a lot better if you read them concurrently/chronologically.  It ruins some of the big twists prematurely, specifically in Dorne/White Harbor, but they're just more enjoyable as one gigantic book than two seperate works.  Or at least so I think, and I've read them both ways more than once, but I'm a reasonably rabid fanboy so take that with a grain fo salt.

Kellios said:
Spoiler: Move your mouse over the container to reveal.
And we didn't even get Doran's "Fire and Blood" speech.

There is nothing about this show that makes me more angry than this.  "Fire and Blood" is such an awesome reveal.  I cannot believe they ignored it in favor of Ellaria and the Darkstar Snakes.  Even everything wrong about Stannis baffles me less than this.  Like I get that they left out Quintin so it couldn't be exactly the same, but the oppurtunity is right there with Trystane on the way to King's Landing.  I could see it all lining up, see the weird show-only plots coming around to align with the book in a roundabout way, and then it just fizzled out.

I mean for fuck's sake it is literally the entire point of Dorne and every single Dornish character.

Jump to Post

06.16.2015 11:54pm

Mole
Somebody loves ya.

Id82 said:

Am I going to piss everyone off when I say I've never read the books and enjoyed this season despite it being slow in the beginning?
Why are you guys holding bricks?

I am in this same boat and I find this entire thread utterly baffling but whatever, y'all do you

Jump to Post

06.17.2015 2:59am

Kellios
Yikes and away!

In much more funny news, this episode's "chrys watches got" is hilarious.

Jump to Post

06.17.2015 4:26am
Thread Creator

Jaran
I'm going to try SCIENCE!

Dude the Arya stuff is GOLD

Jump to Post

06.17.2015 1:38pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

His face here is so perfect.

Jump to Post

06.17.2015 6:03pm

Kellios
Yikes and away!

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 15 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter