Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Community Discussion  >  Entertainment Discussion

Game of Thrones: Season 5

< Prev 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 15 Next >

06.09.2015 1:40pm
 (Edited on 06.09.2015 at 3:46pm)

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

Rhaegar said:

Spoiler: Move your mouse over the container to reveal.
Honestly, I do hope they just kill off Stannis next week. The character is permanently destroyed in the show, so might as well.

I'm putting money on Brienne (I mean she's RIGHT THERE), but I'm prepared to be disappointed. 

[edit] "I'm prepared to be disappointed" applies to basically this entire show.  Even the things about it I like can get tanked on a dime--case in point, this whole fucking mess. 

Jump to Post

06.12.2015 5:37pm
 (Edited on 06.12.2015 at 11:22pm)

Testament
Shamshot

So there are some spoiler images from the finale...

Warg.

Jump to Post

06.15.2015 3:08am

Clowd Cole
Dangerous Zombie

Stannis: Jon Snow send your enemies away.
John: Nah
In Stannis's head: You know nothing Jon Snow.

Buggle Up! Danger! Danger! (Genocide!) Death the Crisis! Dangerous Zombie!

Jump to Post

06.15.2015 4:55am

Rhaegar
World Warrior 21007

Fuck Dorne. Fuck Dorne. Fuck Dorne. Fuck Dorne. Fuck Dorne. Oh, did I forget to say, fuck Dorne?

(Seriously, that was a complete waste of time the entire season. And a complete waste of Alexander Siddig.)

Jump to Post

06.15.2015 2:22pm
 (Edited on 06.15.2015 at 3:02pm)

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

Man Stannis's entire plot just fucking fizzled.  The anticlimax to end all anticlimaxes.  What a goddamn immense waste of time.

Page:  "Your grace!  [Bad news.]"
Page:  "Your grace!  [More bad news.]"
Page:  "Your grace!  [Even more bad news.]"
Stannis:  "You know what?  Fuck it.  I've come to realize that my entire presence here is just piece-moving to make sure Melisandre is at the wall for the next season's premier, because it's pretty clear that no one on this fucking show understands me as a character.  I might as well grouchily trudge up to Winterfell and lay siege to it with a tiny force and, like, no fucking horses or seige equipment.  Did you guys know I survived at Dragonstone under siege for an entire fucking year?  Yeah, the showrunners either.  It's only, like, an important character trait or something.  Just... just fuck it.  Hi Brienne.  Yeah, it's shitty.  Just put me out of my fucking misery already."
Brienne:  "You know, I feel like this should be... I dunno, a sort of "hell yeah!" moment, but honestly, your whole plot has tanked so hard that we're going to cut away melodramaticly."
Stannis:  "Wait, wait--what are you even doing here?"
Brienne:  "Coincidentally, I was nearby, and now I've wandered through an active battle field despite sticking out like a sore thumb--I mean, look at me--I've just wandered over to find you without anyone being like 'what the hell is that woman doing in that [sounds of being brutally killed by Brienne here]'."
Stannis:  "That's... Stupid, but, relatively, not that stupid."
Brienne:  "I know right?  Don't worry, next season I'm just going to somehow find Sansa and Theon... somehow."
Stanis:  "Ugh.  Okay.  Now you can kill me."

I haven't done this in a while, buuuuuut: 
Rhaegar said:

Fuck Dorne. Fuck Dorne. Fuck Dorne. Fuck Dorne. Fuck Dorne. Oh, did I forget to say, fuck Dorne?
Limed for motherfucking truth.

I couldn't stop staring at Lena Headley's eyebrows the entire walk through King's Landing.  Even when she was finally breaking down she still looked smug as hell.  It was sort of incredible.  Also:  Book Robert Strong?  Really huge dude in armor, as far as anyone looking at him can tell.  Show Robert Strong?  Clearly some kind of monstrosity, I mean, look at his fucking eyes.

Mereen continues to be dumb.  Who will rule while we look for the queen?  A foreign unknown dwarf (backed by a foreign unknown eunuch), a guy half the city wants to kill, and the advisor to the queen the same half the city wants to kill.  I... think you might have a slightly flawed plan there, guys.

I sort of feel bad for show-only GoT fans right now.
In the book, Jon gets stabbed, and you're immediately like "All these mentions of warging, and people being brought back to life by the Red God--he's definitely coming back.  I mean, duh.  It's not even a question."

Meanwhile on the show?  It's been, what, two seasons since we saw Berric Dondarrion resurrected?  Lady Stoneheart is completely absent.  AND?!  Melisandre was just shown to be hilariously and wildly wrong about Stannis and Winterfell.  And on top of that, Ghost has been around all of, what, one scene this season, and there has been virtually no warging at all, even from the OTHER Stark kids?

I look forward to how hilariously stupid the resurrection is next season.

[added later]
OH MY GOD I completely forgot about Arya's scenes.  I said it on Facebook while I was watching, and I'm pretty sure I said it here last week:  We already hated Meryn Trant.  Did we really need to hate him more?  Did we really need to see him physically beating the underage girls it was implied he was going to rape (because he's a pedophile!  Because we didn't hate him enough I guess?).  Was it so we would better appreciate how incredibly over-the-top brutal his killing was? 

The scene when she was pulling off all the faces was pretty cool, though.
Though her suddenly going blind was handled with all the subtlety of an elephant on a rampage.  "AUGH I CAN'T SEE WHAT'S HAPPENING?!"

And oh yeah, Sansa. 
So Sansa is outside Winterfell with Theon... and basically they have nowhere to go... and Ramsay is known for tracking people down in the wilderness and horribly killing them.  I'm sure the resolution of this won't be dumb as hell at alllll.

Though... I understand they're finally maybe casting some Greyjoys for next season?  So maybe they'll stumble on Asha/Yara somehow, which would be another note lifted from the books without context (something the show does a lot), and the two of them will be our window to that plot?  Who knows.  I'm sure whatever happens, it'll be so dumb my eyes will do a full 360 and roll all the way around to the front again.

[editted to add again]
Jon:
LOL KIT HARRINGTON IS SAYING HE'S NOT COMING BACK!  THE SHOWRUNNERS ARE TRYING TO TELL US THAT DEAD IS REALLY DEAD. 

The troll levels here are off the charts.

Jump to Post

06.15.2015 4:04pm
 (Edited on 06.15.2015 at 4:15pm)

Testament
Shamshot

^Better than I could've said it.

The show title should've changed from GoT to LoL this season.

I was fooled by the Jon photo on this page. I kept waiting... LOL
Stannis. LOL
Sansa. LOL
Brienne. LOL
Arya. Good for the most part, but had to throw in an ending LOL
Meereen. LOL
Dorne. LOfuckingL

Iron Islands chapters not looking so bad now...

Jump to Post

06.15.2015 4:21pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

Sam: "You should send me to Oldtown--"
Me:  "You know, I like that Sam is taking initiative here, it's really--"
Sam:  "--because Gilly, basically."
Me:  "Oh for fuck's sake."

Jump to Post

06.15.2015 6:00pm

Kellios
Yikes and away!

What everyone is saying, yup.

God what a disappointing season. Other than Hardhome, everything was so utterly predictable and so utterly Hollywood that it truly takes away from the complex story that Martin has created. D&D are very good at adapting, but when it comes down to creating their own content, it just falls flat, and especially so this season. What a disservice to the world trying to cram AFFC and ADWD into one season instead of extending it a season and a half or so.

Am I allowed to be pissed off about Sansa now? That they did, in fact, give her the straight Jeyne Poole treatment? For no other reason than shock value? Give me a fucking break. Everything related to the North and South/Dorne this season was atrocious, and every single character suffered for it.

Show/books:

-Using only the wildling defense against Jon is outrageously dumb- hey Night's Watch, whatcha think is gonna happen when Tormund finds this out? How stupid are you all? The Pink Letter at least makes sense - he's admitting he's going to break his vows in front of everyone - that's reasons to go stabbing.
-Jaime and Myrcella: "I love you dad! *dies*" Thanks, Hollywood
-Sansa and Brienne: Just missing the candle. Really, Hollywood?
-Arya: In case we needed to hate Meryn Trant more. Cause we all forgot, apparently
-Cersei: The only one handled right. I thought it was great
-Varys: Boy did I laugh, "You're on the wrong side of the world!"
-Dany: No objections, but the speed of the khalessar showing up made me chuckle

This season left on way too many cliffhangers too - not one plot point really got wrapped up, and that's frustrating. Stannis was probably the only closure we got.

What strikes me at this point is that the books have so much more hope within them that the show has completely cut out - making it that much more depressing. Without this sense of impeding justice/revenge, man, I don't know how show-only people are gonna keep watching.

Jump to Post

06.15.2015 6:26pm

Rhaegar
World Warrior 21007

Well, to be fair, ADWD also ended on too many cliffhangers. Of course, ADWD, warts and all, is still infinitely better than this slop.

As I said before, the shitheap that was this season made me appreciate the merits of AFFC and ADWD far, far more in comparison, for all the faults those books may have. Say what you will about Book!Dorne, but even if you found it boring, you have to admit that at least it wasn't aggressively fucking stupid like Show!Dorne was. Same with Book!Meereen vs. Show!Meereen (and I didn't care for Book!Meereen).

God, I hope The Winds of Winter is done and released before Season 6. If Season 5 is this bad with only some of the material being fabricated for the show, just imagine how bad Season 6 will be when they have to make it up practically wholecloth from just GRRM's bare-bones plot outline.

Jump to Post

06.15.2015 6:27pm

Colinp42
Registered Member

I enjoyed grumpy Drogon who just wanted to take a nap.  Reminded me of my cat.

Are we supposed to assume Sam and Gilly made it out before the end?  I'm not clear on the timeline.

Jump to Post

06.15.2015 6:28pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

An, Feast and Dance.  Forever now their rallying cry will be "At least we weren't as bad as the show."

Colinp42 said:

I enjoyed grumpy Drogon who just wanted to take a nap.  Reminded me of my cat.

Clearly he spent his vacation watching How To Train Your Dragon.

Jump to Post

06.15.2015 6:30pm
 (Edited on 06.15.2015 at 6:36pm)

Rhaegar
World Warrior 21007

Colinp42 said:

Are we supposed to assume Sam and Gilly made it out before the end?  I'm not clear on the timeline.

AFFC book spoiler:

In the books they were supposed to have been on the way to Oldtown about, well, just right after Jon was elected Lord Commander. And arrived there by the end of AFFC. So, yeah, I'd say that's a safe assumption. I guess. Though you never know with D&D.

Jump to Post

06.15.2015 6:38pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

I don't know why they'd pull the trigger on that plot FINALLY and then immediately walk it back for... no real reason, actually.

Except misery.

Wait, this is D&D we're talking about, so I'd give it a solid "who even fucking knows".

Jump to Post

06.15.2015 6:44pm

Rhaegar
World Warrior 21007

reido said:

An, Feast and Dance.  Forever now their rallying cry will be "At least we weren't as bad as the show."

That's the part that makes me really sad, because there was a GOLDEN opportunity to make the show better â?? a LOT better, in fact â?? than those two books. If by nothing else, just by pacing the plot points better and keeping them intact while chopping away the parts that dragged (especially in ADWD Meereen).

Instead, what they cut out is all the nuance, and shifted characters to places and roles where they shouldn't be (*cough* Sansa Poole/Jeyne Stark) or having them do things they never would (*sneeze* Stannis and Shireen). Not to mention cutting out Jaime's infinitely more interesting and character-building travels through Riverrun and instead shoehorning him into THAT Dorne plotline ... just ...

OK, i need to step away and reach for some adult beverage, now.

Jump to Post

06.15.2015 11:28pm

Id82
Fuck Shit Stack.

Am I going to piss everyone off when I say I've never read the books and enjoyed this season despite it being slow in the beginning?
Why are you guys holding bricks?

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 15 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter