Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Community Discussion  >  Entertainment Discussion

Robocop

09.15.2012 7:56pm
 (Edited on 09.15.2012 at 8:11pm)

Ashilyn
Career GM

I like it, honestly. Sleek and modern, instead of bulky aand kinda ugly like the original version.

amaron said:

If remakes and reboots aren't easy, why do they continue to do them en masse?

They just rebooted the Spiderman franchise not 5 years after the last Tobey Maguire movie.

Feel free to keep calling me stupid because I voiced my opinion, though.

A big reason Spiderman got rebooted was because of the creative falling out between Sony and Raimi. They wouldn't do what he wanted, he bailed, they decided to start fresh. That's really no different than the comic book counterpart, so in many ways it was fitting, and it actually makes sense. Movies are also a different medium from a lot of other things. While I wish they hadn't done a COMPLETE retread of his backstory, franchises can't go on forever. Even James Bond, the one who immediately comes up when that's said, got a reboot, and the tone and actors of those movies changed frequently eough that you could almost argue there were several small reboors along the way.

Remakes and reboots aren't a bad thing. THey bring beloved stories to new generations, and live action movies age faster than most other mediums in large part do to the constant changes in filming and special effects techniques. The original Total Recall movie? Honestly not that good anymore, and it really hasn't aged that well. The remake wasn't perfect, but did a great job of bringing that story to a new audiance with modern penache and flair. Robocop? That original costume looked great... in the 80s. Now? it looks stupid as hell. A sleek, modern makeover is just what that series needs. Just because geekdom holds these movies in high regards and remembers them well doesn't mean the general audiance at large does, as well. And then what about the audiance of people who never saw them to begin with? I wouldn't really want to subject anyone to the original Robocop. It comes of as campy and kinda meh now. Total Recall can be hard to watch for someone who's never seen it before because... well,  alot of reasons.

Naturally I'd like more original stuff. BUt I'm not going to scoff at things just for being remakes. That's silly, and you're missing out on potentially great, sometimes better, retellings of great old stories that probably haven't aged well at all.

Jump to Post

09.15.2012 11:34pm

Fincher
Deep Water Horizon

It doesn't look bad to me so much as generic.  The old outfit was distinctive and specifically suggested robotics, while this looks...well, like a futuristic ninja.

Currently playing: Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box, Picross DS
Last played: Time Hollow (good)
Last watched: Agent Carter (very good)
Me on Favslist

Jump to Post

09.17.2012 11:55am

Salazar
Still here...

Peter Weller would turn in his grave...

Jump to Post

09.17.2012 3:26pm

Catastrophe
I'm Catbug!

Zubis said:

https://www.darkhorizons.com/news/24965/first-look-at-the-new-robocop-outfit

Uh.

Wait, what?

"We need him to look like a cross between Batman and Iron Man."

More like "We need him to look like a cross between Generic Science Fiction Figure A and Generic Action Movie Figure B"

Jump to Post

09.06.2013 7:01pm

Tristan
Just Giv'r

So.... new trailer time!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INmtQXUXez8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I was excited until Ninjacop showed up but it still looks like it could be decent. ED-209 looks boss.

Jump to Post

09.06.2013 7:04pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

When you have a movie about a robotic cop that involves other robots, and Samuel L Motherfucking Jackson, and it still looks bland, boring, and listless?  To me, me with my incredibly low-set standards bar for science fiction?  Then you, sir, have failed.

"Make him more tactical.  Black."  ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH.

Jump to Post

09.07.2013 2:10am

Fincher
Deep Water Horizon

Doesn't look so bad.  Abbie Cornish helps.  I'd have preferred the silver suit.  Put me down as a maybe.

Jump to Post

09.07.2013 2:41am

JSG
Registered Member

It doesn't look as bad as half the internet seems to think it is.

I doubt it'll be great, but it looks fun enough.

Jump to Post

09.08.2013 9:51am

Arckanghel
Pirate.

I think it looks pretty interesting. And it seems to take a better look at the possible issues with such a thing. Cautiously optimistic.

Jump to Post

09.09.2013 2:34am
 (Edited on 09.09.2013 at 2:49am)

judge_raz
Ceci n'est pas une lobster

There needs to be a pukey face emoticon.

How in the High Holy Name of Fuck did they manage to make a movie about a cyborg police officer so fucking bland? This looks to be as exciting as a glass of warm milk before bed. For Christ's sakes, they might as well have played Salisbury Hill when Robocop's WIFE (what the FUCK) demanded that he spend time with his son.

I really hope that none of the creatives involved in the production of this atrocity ever find work in Hollywood again after the movie bombs.

"Of Christ's twelve Apostles Judas alone proved to be traitor. But if he had acquired power, he would have represented the other eleven Apostles as traitors, and also all the lesser Apostles whom Luke numbers as seventy." - Leon Trotsky

I have a blog. This is its URL. You should read it. It's about education and skepticism and books and it has a lot of pictures of Batman and Robin in it: https://baldermoon.wordpress.com/

Jump to Post

09.09.2013 1:52pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

Jump to Post

09.09.2013 2:03pm

Som
Genitals are Funny

Original robocop was rated R, this won't be rated R thus it will be shit and i won't be going to see it.

Jump to Post

09.09.2013 2:37pm

Catastrophe
I'm Catbug!

*yawn*

One can only handle so much crap.

Jump to Post

09.09.2013 3:15pm

Big Tall
Taller Than Tall

Som said:

Original robocop was rated R, this won't be rated R thus it will be shit and i won't be going to see it.

This has pretty much been my reaction since I learned it wasn't going to be R rated.

Jump to Post

09.09.2013 3:35pm

CaButler
Winter Knight of the Unseelie Court

All this talk has made me go back to watch the Original.  The version was the director's cut.

...I seem to remember the disturbing torture murder being more disturbing than what it was.

Jump to Post

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter