Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Community Discussion  >  Entertainment Discussion

Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace 3D

< Prev 1 2 3 4 Next >

02.10.2012 4:09pm
Thread Creator

judge_raz
Ceci n'est pas une lobster

Post your thoughts here.

If you absolutely have GOT to see this movie, upload this commentary onto your iGadget and then try not to laugh too much during the movie. The rest of the audience may be confused at your enjoyment of it: https://redlettermedia.bandcamp.com/

"Of Christ's twelve Apostles Judas alone proved to be traitor. But if he had acquired power, he would have represented the other eleven Apostles as traitors, and also all the lesser Apostles whom Luke numbers as seventy." - Leon Trotsky

I have a blog. This is its URL. You should read it. It's about education and skepticism and books and it has a lot of pictures of Batman and Robin in it: https://baldermoon.wordpress.com/

Jump to Post

02.10.2012 4:24pm

Clowd Cole
Dangerous Zombie

Im watching it in about 30 mins.

And no thanks raze. Hearing that unfunny motherfucker would ruin everyone's good time.

While eps 1 is not a good movie by any stretch of the imagination I see much worse every year.

Buggle Up! Danger! Danger! (Genocide!) Death the Crisis! Dangerous Zombie!

Jump to Post

02.10.2012 8:28pm

Catastrophe
I'm Catbug!

I'm going to see it tomorrow. I like Ep 1 (and seemed to be one in a million in that regard), and actually I like it more than Ep 3 (which I like more than Ep 2) so I'd see it anyway, but if I have to see it just so I can see the originals ("sequels") back on the big screen, well then gosh darnit, I'm going to do my part.

Jump to Post

02.10.2012 8:59pm

Spoony
TEH DISCORD CREW~

I'll have to see this, if only to ensure the five Star Wars movies I actually like get their 3D treatments.

Really, it's not THAT bad.

Jump to Post

02.10.2012 9:03pm

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

Not really interested in watching Ep. 1 in gimmicky 3D when it isn't a movie I'm very fond of. Though I probably will see Eps III-VI in 3D, if only because they're really fun watches on the big screen and also rather short so I probably won't get a headache as 3D movies are wont to give me.

Though I'm with Clowd on the RLM hate. He could make some great points, but the obnoxious presentation makes me want to stab my ears. Though I guess if he actually talked like a normal person he'd just be seen as Yet Another Angry Nerd Bitching About The Prequels. As we certainly don't have enough of those polluting the Internet!

Also if I hear one more person use the moronic phrase "George Lucas raped my childhood." I'm going to kick them in the genitals with a steel toed boot.

Jump to Post

02.10.2012 9:11pm
Thread Creator

judge_raz

Onyx said:

Not really interested in watching Ep. 1 in gimmicky 3D when it isn't a movie I'm very fond of. Though I probably will see Eps III-VI in 3D, if only because they're really fun watches on the big screen and also rather short so I probably won't get a headache as 3D movies are wont to give me.

Though I'm with Clowd on the RLM hate. He could make some great points, but the obnoxious presentation makes me want to stab my ears. Though I guess if he actually talked like a normal person he'd just be seen as Yet Another Angry Nerd Bitching About The Prequels. As we certainly don't have enough of those polluting the Internet!

Also if I hear one more person use the moronic phrase "George Lucas raped my childhood." I'm going to kick them in the genitals with a steel toed boot.

I, on the other hand, don't get the RLM hate. Like you said, he had to create the gimmick in order to make people interested in watching a 90 minute long deconstruction of an Incredibly Bad Movie. I think the gimmick works well, and the Harry S. Plinckett character is really funny. He also does a half-hour review show, in sort of the same style as Siskel & Ebert, where he does talk in his regular voice, and is still very entertaining and informational. I really have no idea how people like Mike Stoklasa and Roger Ebert do what they do. I could not possibly watch a movie one time and then deconstruct it the way that people like the two of them do. I just can't.

He also brings up an interesting point in the commentary that I don't think he did in the actual reviews. Jar Jar Binks is the only character in the whole movie who actually has a character arc. What the hell.

Jump to Post

02.10.2012 9:24pm

CaButler
Winter Knight of the Unseelie Court

I think the RLM hate comes from the fact that he overdoes it.  It may be fine the first time around, but listening to him on repeated attempts or with other stuff just becomes annoying and/or disturbing.

Really, I think reviewers who are just themselves work better, but some of my favorite ones don't do that, so who the hell knows what I'm talking about.

Jump to Post

02.10.2012 9:25pm

JSG
Registered Member

Plinkett's voice kills it for me.  I'm not a huge fan of his comedy or the character, but I can usually tolerate it because it's pretty informational, but the voice makes me want to kills something.  Namely him.  I think I'd find him much more entertaining if he just did his reviews as a regular guy instead of as an obnoxious character that's actually ten times more annoying to listen to than the bitching fanboys he tries to set himself apart from.

As for Episode I in 3D, well, I don't like Phantom Menace and I don't like 3D because it gives me a headache.  Can't see any reason to go see this one.

Jump to Post

02.10.2012 10:33pm

Spoony
TEH DISCORD CREW~

I tried watching that Red Letter Media review once, but didn't get very far. The guy had just spent way too much time harping on how the movie has no protagonist, when it clearly does. (Qui-Gon) I wasn't about to sit through another hour of that kind of nitpicking.

Steered clear of the other two reviews entirely, since I feel episodes II and III are really pretty good.

Jump to Post

02.10.2012 11:26pm

Fincher
Deep Water Horizon

I like The Phantom Menace, but I don't care about 3D (or even seeing movies in theaters, for that matter).  Red Letter Media annoyed me.

Currently playing: Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box, Picross DS
Last played: Time Hollow (good)
Last watched: Agent Carter (very good)
Me on Favslist

Jump to Post

02.11.2012 1:17am

Clowd Cole
Dangerous Zombie

To be honest this is the best use of 3D yet *outside of the disney conversions of Lion King and Beauty* It was powerful enough to create an added level of emersion, but not so powerful its offensive. I give Lucasart's props on the great 3D conversion.

Jump to Post

02.11.2012 2:19am

Dr Squirrel
medicine woman

RLM is parodying both the common "George Lucas raped my childhood" basement dweller while giving the most intelligent criticisms of the movies you'll find.

trust me, i'm a doctor

Jump to Post

02.11.2012 4:55am
Thread Creator

judge_raz

Personally, I think that Lucas should concentrate on being more than one dimensional before he goes after that third one. ;)

Jump to Post

02.11.2012 5:22am

Clowd Cole
Dangerous Zombie

Well you dont have to worry about it he has retired.

Now if only the George Lucas raped my childhood guys would as well, but that will never happen.

Jump to Post

02.11.2012 2:04pm

Crusader
Not Even My Dad Hit Me

I liked Episode I but was never sold on 3D (it always looked tacky) and I already have the Blu-rays, along with a grad program to finish so I'll probably just skip this.

And, although I've probably said this many a time before it's worth repeating: Fuck Red Letter Media.  I think I'd say this even if I was the world's biggest hater.  I mean, seriously, do we really need yet another long-winded rant about the prequels?  Even when these were made, weren't those movies kinda old already?

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 2 3 4 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter