Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Community Discussion  >  Entertainment Discussion

Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace 3D

02.11.2012 2:07pm

Mole
Somebody loves ya.

There is nothing you can do to get me to watch 90 minutes of a guy talking about how he doesn't like a movie.

Jump to Post

02.11.2012 6:07pm

Murasame
HALE YEAH

RLM might be the only thing that gets me to watch this movie.

Jump to Post

02.11.2012 8:59pm

CaButler
Winter Knight of the Unseelie Court

I'll probably watch the movie with the Rifftrax comentary going, if I go see the movie at all.

Jump to Post

02.11.2012 9:51pm

Amer
pew pew pew

There was a pretty interesting article in this week's Entertainment Weekly about Ahmed Best, the guy who played Jar Jar. 

Apparently everyone on set loved him and thought everyone was going to love his character. They were in shock when he was universally panned. I guess Liam and Ewan and Natalie, among others, still stick up for him but it's basically screwed his career. 

Jump to Post

02.11.2012 10:26pm

Som
Genitals are Funny

I won't be going to see it, but not because i think it's the coming of the anti-christ. I just hate 3D movies.

https://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/5357-The-Phantom-Menace-13-Years-Later

Best thoughts on phantom menace i have ever seen.

Jump to Post

02.11.2012 11:16pm

Rhaegar
World Warrior 21007

Take Jar-Jar out and I'd find Episode I fairly entertaining in parts, really entertaining at the final duel, and bland everywhere else.

3-D is, of course, a fad that will soon pass, so I'm not particularly interested in seeing this, anyway.

As for RLM, I generally like Plinkett's presentation. I agree with a lot of his points, and the ones I don't agree with I can see where he's coming from. I really don't get the hate. What if Plinkett did video games and ripped Final Fantasy XII, for instance? I think he'd get a lot more love here, in that case.

Jump to Post

02.11.2012 11:58pm

Fincher
Deep Water Horizon

Rhaegar said:

What if Plinkett did video games and ripped Final Fantasy XII, for instance? I think he'd get a lot more love here, in that case.

I love XII, but if he made a 90 minute video about Final Fantasy XIII in an annoying voice where the only "humor" was non sequiturs about him being a serial killer, I don't suppose I'd like that, either.  It's not just a matter of liking the prequels, because FFX is one of my favorite games, and I liked watching Spoony rip on that.  Spoony has a sort of nerdy charisma, and he says things that are actually funny.  He makes his rants fun to watch.

And sure, it's not going to help when the thing being bashed on is something you like that is constantly bashed on to the point that you want to say, "Yeah, okay, I get it.  You don't like the prequels.  Good for you."  Putting that aside, his handling of it was just not very good.

Currently playing: Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box, Picross DS
Last played: Time Hollow (good)
Last watched: Agent Carter (very good)
Me on Favslist

Jump to Post

02.12.2012 12:42am

Clowd Cole
Dangerous Zombie

Rhaegar said:

Take Jar-Jar out and I'd find Episode I fairly entertaining in parts, really entertaining at the final duel, and bland everywhere else.

3-D is, of course, a fad that will soon pass, so I'm not particularly interested in seeing this, anyway.

As for RLM, I generally like Plinkett's presentation. I agree with a lot of his points, and the ones I don't agree with I can see where he's coming from. I really don't get the hate. What if Plinkett did video games and ripped Final Fantasy XII, for instance? I think he'd get a lot more love here, in that case.

Nope. Id hate Plinkett's presentation applied to anything.

Buggle Up! Danger! Danger! (Genocide!) Death the Crisis! Dangerous Zombie!

Jump to Post

02.12.2012 1:19am
Thread Creator

judge_raz
Ceci n'est pas une lobster

I get that some people don't like the humor in the RLM reviews, that's fine. I can even accept that some people can regard these movies as a guilty pleasure. I don't understand it, but that's fine too.

But I think that some of you are mischaracterizing the way that RLM went after the prequels. Never once did I get the impression that he's one of the people in the 'George Lucas raped my childhood' camp. The reviews are desceptively deep deconstructions of the films that explain why the movies are bad. He goes after them from a film-making prospective, to explain the presence of the plot-holes, to demonstrate that a lot of the movies consist of padding and why it is that the original movies are vastly superior in every single way.

In the end, George Lucas is just a poor film-maker and a damn good businessman. He also has a massive lack of respect for the fans who have gotten him to the place he's at. The presence of the prequels does nothing to the original movies, which are still three of the best sci-fi movies ever made. But his constant fiddling with them, while refusing to release re-mastered versions of the originals is a huge middle finger to the fans who made him into the person that he is.

"Of Christ's twelve Apostles Judas alone proved to be traitor. But if he had acquired power, he would have represented the other eleven Apostles as traitors, and also all the lesser Apostles whom Luke numbers as seventy." - Leon Trotsky

I have a blog. This is its URL. You should read it. It's about education and skepticism and books and it has a lot of pictures of Batman and Robin in it: https://baldermoon.wordpress.com/

Jump to Post

02.12.2012 1:34am

Fincher
Deep Water Horizon

judge_raz said:
I can even accept that some people can regard these movies as a guilty pleasure. I don't understand it, but that's fine too.

I don't recall ever feeling guilty (embarrassed, etc.) about liking the prequels.

Jump to Post

02.12.2012 3:29am

Crusader
Not Even My Dad Hit Me

Fincher said:

judge_raz said:
I can even accept that some people can regard these movies as a guilty pleasure. I don't understand it, but that's fine too.

I don't recall ever feeling guilty (embarrassed, etc.) about liking the prequels.

This.

And I feel my hatred of FFXII was worth exactly one kamikaze rant and only one kamikaze rant.  I'd be very concerned about the mental health of someone who worked countless hours on a vid that was just there to trash it.  Kinda like a very disturbed person I knew on another board who needed to rip into FFVII at least once a month, despite the game being old as methusula now.

Jump to Post

02.12.2012 3:54am

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

Not really. I didn't even like Episode I much outside of Qui-Gon and the last lightsaber fight and I HATED Episode II and I just found RLM's presentation really obnoxious. Applying that presentation to a game that's 40+ hours long would probably make me suicidal if anything, especially since I hated FFXII. I don't really get why you think he'd get a more positive reaction reviewing a black sheep of the series when a lot of the people who've spoken out against RLM aren't exactly fans of the prequels to begin with.

And after doing a Communication Arts major in college, I never want to deal with an academic/literary deconstruction of entertainment again. Hearing anything like "postmodern" in context to this gives me Vietnam-esque war trips.

Jump to Post

02.12.2012 4:22am
Thread Creator

judge_raz

Not that sort of deconstruction.

Jump to Post

02.12.2012 3:24pm

Big Tall
Taller Than Tall

Plinkett's presentation kills any points, good or bad, that he might have. I just can't listen to it for more than a minute or two before it feels like someone is jabbing something into my eyeball. From what some of you have said here and what I've said elsewhere, he makes some great points. I just can't sit through the presentation to get to them.

Som said:

https://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/5357-The-Phantom-Menace-13-Years-Later

Best thoughts on phantom menace i have ever seen.

it really is, especially with how long it's been since the movie first came out. Hell as recent as last year if anyone brought up the movie, my general reaction was "It didn't exist". Instead, I'll just enjoy the original trilogy, say a big "MEH" to the prequels and move on. It's not worth the effort of getting worked up about them.

Jump to Post

02.12.2012 4:00pm
Thread Creator

judge_raz

The only real problem that I identify with the Prequels anymore is a sort of...ambivalence to the quality of a movie, so long as it looks good and it presses correct buttons. They may not be the worst movies of all time, but they're certainly up there when it comes to the absolute ineptitude of George Lucas as a director. It just amazes me that movies of such low quality have made, and continue to make, so much money. I mean, say what you like about movies like Predator, Die Hard, Independence Day and the lot. At least those movies have characters who have arcs, and consist of more than one dimension.

Jump to Post

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter