Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Community Discussion  >  Entertainment Discussion

Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace 3D

02.12.2012 5:15pm

dem
Sing for me, little bird

The part of RLM where he says, "Pick a character from the OT and describe their personally without mentioning what they look like and their occupation... then do the same thing with a character in the prequels" is a great point of how thin the characterization is in the prequels.

Jump to Post

02.12.2012 5:26pm

Kal
yes

There was one point that he made that I just can't unsee now, even when I'm watching a movie that isn't the prequels.. is when he talks about how the characters are always walking and talking, then stop walking and continue talking and that it's just more and more pointless exposition. 
Whenever I watch a movie (or a TV show) now, I can't help but think "Man all they do is walk and talk" (Game of Thrones is especially guilty of that.. as much as I like the show, it's got some seriously tedious exposition scenes, not to mention the erm.. sexposition)

Jump to Post

02.13.2012 3:27pm

Catastrophe
I'm Catbug!

Fincher said:

judge_raz said:
I can even accept that some people can regard these movies as a guilty pleasure. I don't understand it, but that's fine too.

I don't recall ever feeling guilty (embarrassed, etc.) about liking the prequels.

That's me to a T. I still like the originals better, but I feel no shame in liking the prequels.

I am a nerd. And proud of it. I am a Star Wars nerd. And proud of it. But all the pissers and moaners who go off about the STUPIDEST things like "Han Shot First", "midicholorians", "George Lucas ruined my childhood", bla bla bla, I just want to punch them and tell them to GROW UP. My boyfriend saw the original trilogy when they were first released, and he's as big a SW nerd (if not bigger, since he's got the street cred of seeing them during their original release) than me and he doesn't whine half as much as these so-called "True Fans". 

As for Episode I, it's my personal favourite out of the three (then Ep III, then the mediocre Ep II). Why? Qui-Gon. Young Obi-Wan. Amidala's wardrobe. The Pod Race. Darth Maul. Gungans vs Droids. Senator Palpatine. And most importantly, it's the calm before the storm. Did anyone really think Anakin was going to be evil as a little boy? I certainly didn't. After all, the ultimate point of the originals was Luke finding the good in his father and redeeming him. Therefore he couldn't have been born evil, that would have defeated the whole point of the originals. Lucas has always said the sextet of films was pretty much entirely about Anakin Skywalker, in one form or another. Luke happened to be the catalyst for Anakin's redemption.

*deep breath*

Okay, I'm done.

Jump to Post

02.13.2012 7:15pm
 (Edited on 02.13.2012 at 7:28pm)

<("<)<(")>(>")>
America: The Pony

I really like the points Plinkett makes but I agree the presentation is really poor. I would prefer it boiled down into an essay, because he does say a lot of stuff that kind of blew my mind about what was wrong with the prequels. 

Did anyone really think Anakin was going to be evil as a little boy? I certainly didn't. After all, the ultimate point of the originals was Luke finding the good in his father and redeeming him. Therefore he couldn't have been born evil, that would have defeated the whole point of the originals.

Did anyone think that Anakin should start out evil? I've never heard anyone list this as a complaint towards the prequels. OF COURSE he should start out good. In fact, he should have been LIKABLE so that when he does inevitably turn evil its seen as tragic instead of the audience collectively sighing and thinking, "FINALLY!" I forget where I read this about the missed potential of the prequels, but I think the biggest flub in the whole three movies is that Obi-Wan's and Anakin's relationship should of been the emotional arc that guides the story of the three films. Them being buddies should have been the number 1 reason you would enjoy seeing the movies. They should have been like Sherlock and Watson or Riggs and Murtough or any other awesome buddy combination. That way, when they fight in Episode III and the audience knows exactly what is going to happen they still can't help wishing it could happen some other way. But no. Flat boring characterization, all "tell" and no "show," and too much focus on pointless side characters. 

Jump to Post

02.13.2012 8:56pm

Catastrophe
I'm Catbug!

;(>")> said:

Did anyone really think Anakin was going to be evil as a little boy? I certainly didn't. After all, the ultimate point of the originals was Luke finding the good in his father and redeeming him. Therefore he couldn't have been born evil, that would have defeated the whole point of the originals.

Did anyone think that Anakin should start out evil? I've never heard anyone list this as a complaint towards the prequels. OF COURSE he should start out good. In fact, he should have been LIKABLE so that when he does inevitably turn evil its seen as tragic instead of the audience collectively sighing and thinking, "FINALLY!"

Believe me when I say I've run into quite a few people who were expecting Anakin to be evil from the start.

Jump to Post

02.13.2012 9:57pm
Thread Creator

judge_raz
Ceci n'est pas une lobster

Anakin Skywalker has, probably, the most contrived and piss poor character arc in a trilogy filled with contrived, piss poor character arcs. He started out as basically a non-entity that abandoned his mother in slavery cause. Just cause. He then completely forgets her while he has a whole bunch of character development that's mentioned in passing at best, takes place off-screen at worst and generally ignored, until ALL OF A SUDDEN, his mother is raped to death (in a movie whose director has cited as 'being for kids') and he suddenly has all of these emotions that have never been referenced before, as well as a blatant fascist streak that Yoda, one of the greatest Jedi masters of all time doesn't notice?

I mean, it would've been a tragic fall if Anakin had started out as a hero. Someone that you could look up towards and actually feel for. But instead, we get a stumble into being evil, when he was barely a good guy to begin with. It's like Palpatine said, "Oh, by the way, I'm a Sith Master" and Anakin said, "Oh really? Can I be one too?"

This could've been forgiven if he was an ancilliary character and someone else was the lead, like Obi Wan, but instead they hinge the entire prequel franchise on a completely two-dimensional (at best) character. This is one of the major reasons that the prequels are terrible movies. It really doesn't have a main character in the first movie, and then the main character in the second and third is terribly written and terribly directed. A lot of people blame Christensen on this, but I personally don't. I honestly think that all the blame for how awful these movies falls down to Lucas' inability to A) rein himself in and B) direct worth a damn.

I mean, for Christ's sakes, when you have Samuel L. Jackson acting as well as a cardboard cut-out, then you aren't able to direct worth a damn and should be replaced immediately for someone that's worth a damn.

"Of Christ's twelve Apostles Judas alone proved to be traitor. But if he had acquired power, he would have represented the other eleven Apostles as traitors, and also all the lesser Apostles whom Luke numbers as seventy." - Leon Trotsky

I have a blog. This is its URL. You should read it. It's about education and skepticism and books and it has a lot of pictures of Batman and Robin in it: https://baldermoon.wordpress.com/

Jump to Post

02.13.2012 10:18pm

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

Lucas is best served as a producer and special effects guru, both of which he does very well. He's always been a pretty lousy actor's director, even going back to the original Star Wars. Figures the only performance that ended up really good was Sir Alec's and, to a lesser extent, Ford's. It's more than likely excaberated in the prequels because just about every scene ended up being green-screened, whcih I'd imagine to be pretty tough.

Hayden Christensen is a much, much better actor than he appears to be in the prequels, and Natalie Portman is an Academy Award winning actress.  But they need solid direction, and Lucas is not that. Though I did like Neeson's, McGreggor's, and especially McDiarmid's performances.

Kershner becoming TESB and ROTJ's director was a huge part of why the acting took such a huge leap forward.

Jump to Post

02.13.2012 10:54pm
Thread Creator

judge_raz

I think that Lucas works best as an 'idea guy,' rather than producer, since the last time he produced a movie, Indiana Jones survived a nuclear blast by hiding in a refrigerator.

Jump to Post

02.13.2012 10:57pm

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

Blame that on Spielberg. He admitted that the fridge was completely his idea.

Granted, I actually liked Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. Was it as good as Raiders or Last Crusade? Nope. Would I watch it any day of the week over Temple of Doom? Absolutely.

Jump to Post

02.13.2012 11:43pm
Thread Creator

judge_raz

I have never understood the hate that Temple gets. I fucking love that movie.

Jump to Post

02.14.2012 3:51am

Nelfichu
I've been there, hombre.

Onyx said:

Actually, I think AICN recently posted a link to a George Lucas interview where he said Spielberg was just taking the flak for the fridge thing, and Lucas actually really did come up with it.

Jump to Post

02.14.2012 5:11am

Crux
A mental Dentist's office

judge_raz said:
Indiana Jones survived a nuclear blast by hiding in a refrigerator.
*screeches as the memory returns*
Onyx said:
Granted, I actually liked Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. Was it as good as Raiders or Last Crusade? Nope. Would I watch it any day of the week over Temple of Doom? Absolutely.
Are you Kidding me?

"We're not sinking, WE'RE CRASHING!!!"
HA haheheh How many lemons did she suck on to get that cracking when she said that. Probably none, but still rofl

I remember watching RLD review on the Crystal Skull, and they were mentioning all the ideas George had ever throw at Speilberg, which Spielberg then killed. I wonder how many more times that actually happened over the years.

Jump to Post

02.14.2012 5:16am

Catastrophe
I'm Catbug!

judge_raz said:

I have never understood the hate that Temple gets.

1. Kate Capshaw
2. Pint Size or whatever the hell his name is.

Those are the most common complaints that I hear. And while I do enjoy Temple of Doom, both those characters are very grating.

Jump to Post

02.14.2012 5:37am

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

Nelfichu said:

Onyx said:

Actually, I think AICN recently posted a link to a George Lucas interview where he said Spielberg was just taking the flak for the fridge thing, and Lucas actually really did come up with it.

I don't know why Spielberg would do that when he had little problem blaming George for the other things in the movie. :P

And the kid's name was Short Round, and god he was annoying. Willie was so much worse, though.

Jump to Post

02.14.2012 5:48am

Nelfichu
I've been there, hombre.

^No clue, but here's the interview where he said nuking the fridge was all him.

Jump to Post

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter