Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Community Discussion  >  Entertainment Discussion

Star Wars: Episode VII and Beyond

05.05.2014 2:49pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

So basically there's G-Canon... and everything else, all of which is subject to get the boot if Lucas farted in its general direction.  Which, from a practical standpoint, essentially makes it all alt-canon.

And if you wanna get real technical, now?  T- and C-Canon all just became S-Canon.

Jump to Post

05.05.2014 9:10pm

Catastrophe
I'm Catbug!

Old Juan said:

She looks pretty fucking bad. That's going to be weird seeing on screen.

Hamill though has been training pretty hard and he's lost like 60 pounds, he looks a lot better.

Ford is about the only one who stayed the same size. He's just older now.

Actually, I've heard that all of them are trying to get in better shape, including Carrie Fisher. She won't be metal bikini ready of course, but she'll still look better than she has in recent years.

Jump to Post

05.05.2014 9:58pm

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

reido said:

So basically there's G-Canon... and everything else, all of which is subject to get the boot if Lucas farted in its general direction.  Which, from a practical standpoint, essentially makes it all alt-canon.

And if you wanna get real technical, now?  T- and C-Canon all just became S-Canon.

C-Canon, yeah. But T-Canon got elevated to G-Canon, basically.

Right now, the levels of canon according to Disney going forward:

Current Canon - Six movies, Clone Wars TV series, Star Wars: Rebels, Episodes VII-IX when they come out, maybe the new books being published that aren't part of the "Legends" line. Not quite sure where Disney and LucasFilm stands on those.

Secondary/Non-Canon - The already-existing EU, though Disney/Lucasfilm can always pull out stuff from the EU and canonize it. I'd be surprised if this didn't happen.

I'd also have to guess that KOTOR and SWTOR will be canonized somehow because Bioware is supposed to be working on a new SW game. If I had to guess it will be considered canon, and even if it doesn't take place in the Old Republic timeline I'm sure they'll find a way to sneak in references to Revan, Vitiate, or other characters from that era.

Jump to Post

05.05.2014 11:35pm

Atma Weapon
I Am Pure Energy

I think Disney is in the right here. Why would they want to buy the franchise if the creative decisions were hamstrung by "canon" in crappy paperbacks, table top RPGs and video games. The Star Wars property is a much more valuable capital asset for generating new revenue if they can stick with the movie scripts as the only canon that matters. And it will make the new movies better, or at least potentially better, thanks to the creative freedom it allows. The nerds who care about extended universe canon are a non-issue, because Disney is already counting their ticks as sold.

Jump to Post

05.06.2014 2:17pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

Onyx said:

I'd also have to guess that KOTOR and SWTOR will be canonized somehow because Bioware is supposed to be working on a new SW game. If I had to guess it will be considered canon, and even if it doesn't take place in the Old Republic timeline I'm sure they'll find a way to sneak in references to Revan, Vitiate, or other characters from that era.

I'll... I'll be in my bunk.

Jump to Post

05.06.2014 7:15pm

Spoony
TEH DISCORD CREW~

Atma Weapon said:

I think Disney is in the right here. Why would they want to buy the franchise if the creative decisions were hamstrung by "canon" in crappy paperbacks, table top RPGs and video games. The Star Wars property is a much more valuable capital asset for generating new revenue if they can stick with the movie scripts as the only canon that matters. And it will make the new movies better, or at least potentially better, thanks to the creative freedom it allows. The nerds who care about extended universe canon are a non-issue, because Disney is already counting their ticks as sold.

Disney did the right thing for Disney, not necessarily what's right for the fans. Certainly not what's right for me, personally.

But like I said, this could all be smoothed over by an announcement/clarification that new books can be published in the Legends line to continue those stories and characters. So instead of G-canon, C-canon, whatever, we'll have L-canon (Legends) and D-canon (Disney).

Or they could have just set the new trilogy in an unexplored era, thereby gaining creative freedom without stepping on anybody's toes.

Jump to Post

05.06.2014 8:39pm

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

Really, Disney's approach isn't too different to how things worked before. The only major difference is Disney is flat out saying "These things aren't canon, but if we see something we like, we'll make it canon." Lucas' original approach was "These things can be canon I guess, but if it clashes with what I want to do with the franchise, I'll just completely disregard and override it so it's no longer canon."

In both methods, the guy in charge has the final say in what's canon and what's not canon. I prefer Disney's approach because it means they can fulfill whatever creative vision they want for the sequel trilogy without bothering to worry about stepping on the toes of what is essentially published fanfiction. But it also throws a bone to said published fanfiction works if they take something from there and elevate it to canon. It's also less confrontational than what Lucas did where he would step on toes.

The understanding, I think, is much more clear between Disney and content creators with this stuff. Also with the Clone Wars, a lot of stuff that was made in the EU (as a few examples, the Nightsisters of Dathomir, the Z-96 Headhunter, Mandalorian society) gets elevated to canonical status.

The most direct effect this edict has is on the post-ROTJ EU and I'm pretty grateful for that because it was such a convoluted mess of continuity. I'm glad Disney isn't going to bother waddling through all of that and unintentionally making movie fans feel they need to have a reference guide to the EU in order to get what's going on.

Jump to Post

05.06.2014 8:40pm

Atma Weapon
I Am Pure Energy

It doesn't bother me in the least. But then again I was never into the peripheral Star Wars stuff. I read a few of the X-Wing books when I was a teenager but that's it

Jump to Post

05.06.2014 8:54pm

CaButler
Winter Knight of the Unseelie Court

I only just picked up two of the three books in the Thrawn Trilogy, which I've been told are really the only post ROTJ books I should read.

Jump to Post

05.06.2014 8:58pm

Atma Weapon
I Am Pure Energy

Yeah I enjoyed reading them when I was 15 but I know now (and kind of knew then) that they suck.

Jump to Post

05.07.2014 12:45am

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

Most of the post-ROTJ is awful, especially stuff like New Jedi Order (besides Traitor, which was awesome) and Legacy of the Force. Fate of the Jedi is slightly better, but you can tell that this group of authors is just running out of ideas. FotJ is more boring and running on fumes rather than aggressively stupid like NJO and LotF were.

Even Timothy Zahn's works aren't as good as a lot of people hype, though they're much better than just about anything else. They're among the best and introduced good characters like Thrawn (who has his mary sue moments, but is still pretty enjoyable), Pelleaon, and Mara Jade. Zahn is also the one who invented the name of "Coruscant" for the Republic/Imperial Capital (and possibly the concept of Coruscant also having a massive city take up the entire surface of the planet), which Lucas liked so much he put it into the prequel movies. On the other hand, he also came up with the Yslamiri. Fuck those little Force-blocking lizards.

Basically, if it's written by Timothy Zahn, Aaron Allston, Michael Stackpole, or Matthew Stover, it tends to be pretty good. If it's written by Karen Traviss, Troy Denning, James, Luceno, or Kevin J. "I also ruined Dune" Anderson, stay far away.

Jump to Post

05.07.2014 1:33am

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

The yslimarysue:  for when you think the Jedi are just too badass for your narrative.

Until you want them to be that badass.

Jump to Post

05.07.2014 8:48am

The Hulk
Good Boy

I still remember reading one EU novel where Leia was fondly reminiscing and laughing about that monster-chess-thing match the droids played against Chewbacca where he lost his shit.  Y'know, that one they played on the way to rescue her so she never saw or knew about it at all.  I think that was my first big clue that it was lazily written shit.

Jump to Post

05.07.2014 8:07pm

Coolsetzer
Formerly Furysetzer

Atma Weapon said:

I don't see why people are still compelled to compare Star Trek and Star Wars. They have very little in common. Star Wars has a lot more in common with westerns and Kung Fu movies than with Star Trek.

I don't hate on SW anymore, since the prequel trilogy pretty much fell flat on its face. But still, I think ST is better entertainment overall. They'll always get paired against each other. And with good reason. They are similar in a lot of ways. Besides, being biased is human nature. Even Abrams is, and he's the director of both.

Jump to Post

05.07.2014 8:16pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

They both have Star in the first half of  a two-word title.

Jump to Post

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter