Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Community Discussion  >  Entertainment Discussion

"Teenage Alien Ninja Turtles?!"

< Prev 1 2 3 ... 7 Next >

03.20.2012 3:35am
Thread Creator

Indiana Jerico
Sinfully Delicious v2
Administrator

Seriously, Michael Bay?

===

"Plans? What plans? I'm making this up as I go!"

Jump to Post

03.20.2012 3:45am

judge_raz
Ceci n'est pas une lobster

I want to lock Michael Bay, M. Night Shyamalamadingdong and Lucas in a room and toss a knife in, then lock the door and never come back.

"Of Christ's twelve Apostles Judas alone proved to be traitor. But if he had acquired power, he would have represented the other eleven Apostles as traitors, and also all the lesser Apostles whom Luke numbers as seventy." - Leon Trotsky

I have a blog. This is its URL. You should read it. It's about education and skepticism and books and it has a lot of pictures of Batman and Robin in it: https://baldermoon.wordpress.com/

Jump to Post

03.20.2012 3:51am

FenixDown
The King's orders are absolute

I've only knowingly seen one Michael Bay movie and it was a horrendous mess. Even without the changes to the mythos, I would not give this movie the time of day.

Let's Play Chrono Trigger
Let's Play The Legend of Zelda A Link to the Past
Let's Play Final Fantasy VI

Jump to Post

03.20.2012 4:19am

Fincher
Deep Water Horizon

I like some of Michael Bay's movies, but I'd say that these cartoon reboots are bringing out the worst in him.

Currently playing: Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box, Picross DS
Last played: Time Hollow (good)
Last watched: Agent Carter (very good)
Me on Favslist

Jump to Post

03.20.2012 4:24am

Ibn al Xu'ffasch
A Good Soldier

I should dig out my figures the next time I go home.  Fond memories there.  Second only to G.I. Joe.

"...so we're agreed. It's Robin and Batman from now on."
"Don't patronize me or I'll break your face."
"I was trained by the League of Assassins.  My days are my own."

Jump to Post

03.20.2012 5:28am

Big Tall
Taller Than Tall

Fuck off Michael Bay. Just...fuck off.

Jump to Post

03.20.2012 7:00am

Southern Comfort
silently judging all of you

Why?

Jump to Post

03.20.2012 7:46am

Crux
A mental Dentist's office

So... is he saying that Mutant Turtles just aren't realistic enough, as opposed to aliens?

Jump to Post

03.20.2012 8:55am

Zubis
Registered Member

Probably. Mutagen would be his excuse.

Jump to Post

03.20.2012 10:12am

Kal
yes

In all fairness, when you take off your nostalgia-goggles, it's not like the original cartoon isn't stupid as fuck. 

This reboot is for kids so, as stupid as it looks to us adults, kids will eat it up like we ate up an tons of equally stupid concepts 20 years ago. Biker Mice from Mars ? Street Sharkz ? Denver ? He-Man... need I go on ? 

Jump to Post

03.20.2012 10:20am

Fincher
Deep Water Horizon

Kal said:

In all fairness, when you take off your nostalgia-goggles, it's not like the original cartoon isn't stupid as fuck.

I like the first TMNT movie, but in spite of the obnoxious turtles.  Casey Jones and April are what sell it.

Are we really sure this is a kid's movie, though?  It's not like old school Transformers had masturbation jokes and Megan Fox bending over stuff.

Jump to Post

03.20.2012 10:52am
Thread Creator

Indiana Jerico
Sinfully Delicious v2
Administrator

Kal said:
This reboot is for kids so, as stupid as it looks to us adults, kids will eat it up like we ate up an tons of equally stupid concepts 20 years ago. Biker Mice from Mars ? Street Sharkz ? Denver ? He-Man... need I go on ? 

Then why are they making an 80s cartoon/comics if not for nostalgia? Shouldn't they just make a whole new different movie altogether? Like, I dunno, Super Octogenarian Alien Sharks. You said so yourself, this is for kids. Which I would assume you mean kids today. They wouldn't know fuck shit about the Turtles, but those of us who grew with them do.

===

Jump to Post

03.20.2012 11:15am

Kal
yes

Indiana Jerico said:

Kal said:

Then why are they making an 80s cartoon/comics if not for nostalgia? Shouldn't they just make a whole new different movie altogether? Like, I dunno, Super Octogenarian Alien Sharks. You said so yourself, this is for kids. Which I would assume you mean kids today. They wouldn't know fuck shit about the Turtles, but those of us who grew with them do.

===

Sure, but you're assuming Hollywood execs (and Michael Bay especially, MICHAEL BAY) prefer new concepts over remakes and reboots, and we all know that couldn't be further from the truth.
It's just easier (and probably way cheaper) to reboot a pre-existing franchise than actually create new material. Why do you think they rebooted Spiderman barely a decade after the first movie came out ? Why do you think the Phantom Menace was even made ?
They're rebooting this for the same reason they rebooted Transformers : if the kids don't like it, they still have a chance that the 20something crowd will enjoy it because of nostalgia. With a new franchise, if the kids don't like it, that's it, you don't have the back-up nostalgia crowd.
Sure, kids today don't know about the Ninja Turtles but why would they care more about new material over a remake ? If they've never heard of the turtles before, it might as well be a new franchise for them.

I'm not saying this reboot isn't stupid, because it is, but in and itself the source material isn't exactly a masterpiece of subtlety either.

Jump to Post

03.20.2012 11:20am
Thread Creator

Indiana Jerico
Sinfully Delicious v2
Administrator

All fine and good except right now, they seem to be giving a big fuck you to the nostalgia crowd if online reaction is to be believed.

===

Jump to Post

03.20.2012 12:02pm

Mole
Somebody loves ya.

God, fuck "the nostalgia crowd". Hollywood shot itself in the foot the day it started valuing the opinions of vapid manchildren.

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 2 3 ... 7 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter