Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Community Discussion  >  Entertainment Discussion

Which Films Will Be Nominated for Best Picture at the Oscars

01.24.2012 3:30pm

Nelfichu
I've been there, hombre.

Nelfichu said:

I haven't seen Moneyball, but do you really think it's a sure-thing for a Best Picture nomination? Doesn't seem like it would be the Academy's thing.

I'll shut up now.

Also: Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close got nominated? I've heard nothing but terrible things about that film.

Jump to Post

01.24.2012 3:32pm
Thread Creator (Edited on 01.24.2012 at 3:46pm)

shooter_mcgavin
Registered Member

Catastrophe said:

Other surprises:

Supporting Actress:
Melissa McCarthy in "Bridesmaids"

Original Screenplay:
"Bridesmaids" Written by Annie Mumolo & Kristen Wiig

Curiouser and curiouser.

Bridesmaids getting those nominations were not a suprise since it managed to get nominated in the BAFTA's. So if the more uptight British voters were willing to recognize a Raunchy American Comedy for Supporting Actress and Screenplay, one would expect Bridesmaids to do well with Hollywood voters.

I was actually hoping the 9th slot went too Bridesmaids. Jennifer Lawrence caught the audience off guard thinking there would only be 8 nomineess based on the Graphic Layout ... how cool would it have been if she said "..... and Bridesmaids"!!! instead we Extremley Loud and Incredibly Close?.

Jump to Post

01.24.2012 4:09pm

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

So Pixar's Oscar streak ends. Cars 2 must've really sucked.

Jump to Post

01.24.2012 4:31pm

Catastrophe
I'm Catbug!

shooter_mcgavin said:

Catastrophe said:

Other surprises:

Supporting Actress:
Melissa McCarthy in "Bridesmaids"

Original Screenplay:
"Bridesmaids" Written by Annie Mumolo & Kristen Wiig

Curiouser and curiouser.

Bridesmaids getting those nominations were not a suprise since it managed to get nominated in the BAFTA's. So if the more uptight British voters were willing to recognize a Raunchy American Comedy for Supporting Actress and Screenplay, one would expect Bridesmaids to do well with Hollywood voters.

*buzzz* Wrong answer. I am surprised as hell that the uptight, stuffshirt AMPAS has actually deigned Bridesmaid worthy of standing in their presence. The BAFTAS have always been more forward thinking.

Jump to Post

01.24.2012 5:02pm

Mole
Somebody loves ya.

shooter_mcgavin said:
I was actually hoping the 9th slot went too Bridesmaids. Jennifer Lawrence caught the audience off guard thinking there would only be 8 nomineess based on the Graphic Layout ... how cool would it have been if she said "..... and Bridesmaids"!!! instead we Extremley Loud and Incredibly Close?.

It's a dumb nomination (proably, I'm never seeing it), but I have to admit that was a badass reveal. Once they set up the first column of four everyone's thinking "Hmm, eight nominees, that makes sense", then right when you think it's over BAM, DALDRY'D. I think I support the new Academy rules just for that.

Jump to Post

01.24.2012 5:39pm

Kal
yes

Onyx said:

Cars 2 was worse than Cars 1. That should speak for its quality.

Jump to Post

01.24.2012 6:02pm

Catastrophe
I'm Catbug!

Kal said:

Onyx said:

I'll never understand all the Cars hate.

Notice I said nothing about Cars 2, that movie deserves it. Pixar's first real piece of garbage.

As for Best Animated Film, Rango can, must and will win.

Jump to Post

01.24.2012 6:11pm
Thread Creator

shooter_mcgavin
Registered Member

Cars 2 > Cars ... but both were pretty mediocre works especially when stacked up with its Pixar's brothers and sisters.

That said I predict Chico and Rita to win Best Animated Feature as of now. I know Rango is the favoraite (especilly with Tintin subbed) but I just don't enough passionate support for the three mainstream animated films. Also with The Artist being the favoriate to win and Chico and Rita feels like an animated/musical cousin of The Artist ... I can see it winning.

Jump to Post

01.24.2012 7:51pm

Lexx
Terran Angel

I really thought The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo was going to get a Best Picture nom.  Feh.

I see the nominated movies every year with some friends via a special weekend marathon-type deal a local theater offers.  I'm actively DREADING Tree of Life and Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close.

Jump to Post

01.24.2012 9:04pm

dem
Sing for me, little bird

I"ve seen most of the movies mentioned in this thread, except for Tree of Life, The Help and Midnight in Paris. Based on that, I really hope The Descendants wins. The film itself may be a long shot, but I can definitely see Clooney getting Best Actor.

Jump to Post

01.25.2012 12:48am

Fincher
Deep Water Horizon

Man, Winnie the Pooh just can't catch a break.  Way better than Rango.  I was pulling for Super 8 in the big race, but I knew it didn't stand a chance.

Lexx said:

I really thought The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo was going to get a Best Picture nom. Feh.

I see the nominated movies every year with some friends via a special weekend marathon-type deal a local theater offers. I'm actively DREADING Tree of Life and Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close.

I don't watch all the nominees, and Extremely Loud makes me thankful for that.

Out of Best Picture, I'll see Hugo, whatever ends up winning, and...well, I already saw The Help.  That's good enough.

Currently playing: Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box, Picross DS
Last played: Time Hollow (good)
Last watched: Agent Carter (very good)
Me on Favslist

Jump to Post

01.25.2012 1:11am

Big Tall
Taller Than Tall

Awesome to see Man or Muppet up for best original song. The live performance could be incredible. Surprised there are only two nominees though.

Jump to Post

01.25.2012 5:32am

Rhaegar
World Warrior 21007

Hugo was pretty good, but none of these nominees would've seen the light of day in a year like, say, 2007. I don't really have a horse in this race, but as long as The Help and Tree of Life get shut out, I'll call it a success.

Jump to Post

01.25.2012 7:48am
Thread Creator

shooter_mcgavin
Registered Member

Rooting for Scorsese (even if have not seen Hugo) and Terreance Malick (Tree of Life is a beautfully crafted film despite the WTF rapture parts at the end) to win director over Michel Hazanavicius. I just don't see The Artist as a director's kind of film; I probably attribute the film's success to the performances and gimmick over the direction itself.

Jump to Post

01.25.2012 4:51pm

Kal
yes

Catastrophe said:

Kal said:

Onyx said:

I'll never understand all the Cars hate..
It's just, when you look at Pixar's track record... Cars just comes off as a Direct to DVD movie. It's fun and entertaining, but something about the whole concept made it look a bit cheap to me.
Compared to Rango, it wouldn't stand a chance.

I'm not rooting for Hazanavicius even though I loved the Artist. The film works well as a whole because of the performances and the gimmick. Other than a couple clever uses of the silent thing, it wasn't a notably well directed movie. The story was average too. I think a lot of its charm is due to the silent medium, the black and white photography (which was quite beautiful to be honest) and the rather charming lead couple. And the dog, obviously.

I hoped Super 8 would get more nods. It was one of the best movies of that kind we've seen in a very long time. I liked it even more the second time I watched it after I read somewhere that the monster should be viewed as a representation of the boy's grief (he represses it, then confronts and processes it and at the end lets it go and moves on). It turned a very enjoyable "kid adventure" movie into a somewhat deeper story about loss and overcoming it.

Jump to Post

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter