Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Community Discussion  >  Entertainment Discussion

Which Films Will Be Nominated for Best Picture at the Oscars

01.25.2012 4:51pm

JSG
Registered Member

Wow, I haven't seen a single one of those nominees.

Usually I at least catch one or two, but I guess it just goes to show how completely different my taste is from the academy's.

Jump to Post

01.25.2012 5:24pm

Catastrophe
I'm Catbug!

JSG said:

Wow, I haven't seen a single one of those nominees.

Usually I at least catch one or two, but I guess it just goes to show how completely different my taste is from the academy's.

I haven't either. In fact, most of the time I don't. I prefer waiting for those kind of movies to be released for home viewing before I watch them.

Jump to Post

01.26.2012 12:10am

Fincher
Deep Water Horizon

Kal said:

I think a lot of its charm is due to the silent medium, the black and white photography (which was quite beautiful to be honest) and the rather charming lead couple. And the dog, obviously.

Yeah...when a big selling point of a movie is that it's a black and white silent film, I don't take that as the best sign.  You know, since that's a reason why I would tend to avoid it.

Still, "silent era" or not, it looks like I'll be watching The Artist sometime (because it's bound to win).

Currently playing: Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box, Picross DS
Last played: Time Hollow (good)
Last watched: Agent Carter (very good)
Me on Favslist

Jump to Post

01.26.2012 1:42am

Nelfichu
I've been there, hombre.

Man, did anyone here not like Rango? I thought that movie was boring (though the animation was excellent).

Jump to Post

01.26.2012 2:22am

Fincher
Deep Water Horizon

I wasn't a fan.  I liked Winnie the Pooh and Kung Fu Panda 2.

Jump to Post

01.26.2012 8:22am
Thread Creator

shooter_mcgavin
Registered Member

Suprisingly Winnie the Pooh was never released from where I am from. Time to pirate it I guess.

Go Chico and Rita ... I shed a tear in that movie.

Jump to Post

01.26.2012 5:05pm

Catastrophe
I'm Catbug!

Nelfichu said:

Man, did anyone here not like Rango? I thought that movie was boring (though the animation was excellent).

It helps if you're a fan of "out-of-the-box" style Westerns, that is to say those that don't adhere to the standard formula. Those're the only kind of westerns I like anyway. I hate Westerns.

As much as I loved Winnie-the-Pooh, I don't really see it as Oscar caliber. Kung Fu Panda 2 was wonderful, so if it won, I'd be upset that Rango lost but still satisfied.

Jump to Post

01.29.2012 3:06am

JackDyce
Canadian Liberator

Haven't seen The Artist or Hugo yet, but I'd seen the other nominees. I liked The Descendants, but most of the other nominees were kind of "bleh." I was disappointed 50/50 got shutout of nominations, and I am really disappointed Andy Serkis didn't get a nomination for supporting actor for Rise of the Planet of the Apes. I did like that "Man or Muppet" got a nomination for best song - I was hoping it would from the minute that scene ended.

Jump to Post

01.29.2012 6:27am

Old Juan
filled with hate

This is pretty light year as far as the nominations goes.

I'm still scratching my head that Jonah Hill got a nom. He is so overrated as an actor.

Jump to Post

01.29.2012 9:39am

Lexx
Terran Angel

Hazanavicius won the Director's Guild Award for Director of the Year, so it's pretty much a lock that he and The Artist will win at the Oscars.

Jump to Post

01.29.2012 4:49pm
Thread Creator

shooter_mcgavin
Registered Member

Old Juan said:

This is pretty light year as far as the nominations goes.

I'm still scratching my head that Jonah Hill got a nom. He is so overrated as an actor.

He stole Albert Brooks slot ... well not really I think it was more Max Von Sydow's.

I just saw The Help I like it, just barley, for a movie equality and racial divisons it does take those issues rather lightly to obvious archetypes. Though I guess it works and its really hard to hate it.

VIola Davis was great here and deserves all the attention she is getting. Octavia Spencer is still good but I still not sure if she deserves her sweep since I have not seen the other competition. Jessica Chastain had a fun role and was great when she needed to be but she deserves it more for Tree of Life.

Jump to Post

01.30.2012 6:42am

Murasame
HALE YEAH

I want to see The Help, but I also want to not be incredibly disappointed in America. Is there a way I can do both?

Jump to Post

01.30.2012 8:35am

Rhaegar
World Warrior 21007

Uhhhhh ... keep in mind that plenty of Americans hate The Help?

Jump to Post

01.30.2012 11:41am
Thread Creator

shooter_mcgavin
Registered Member

A+ from Cinemascore says otherwise ... meanwhile Drive get's a C- ... sheesh what gives right?

Jump to Post

01.31.2012 1:48am

Fincher
Deep Water Horizon

shooter_mcgavin said:

A+ from Cinemascore says otherwise ... meanwhile Drive get's a C- ... sheesh what gives right?

That partly has to do with marketing.  Trailers for The Help made it look pretty much exactly like what it is, so people who went to see it were those who wanted to see it.  Drive looked like action/suspense/romance with a muscle car, and from what I understand, it's more of an art film.

Granted, Drive doesn't sound like a movie for the average moviegoer, but I'm betting that in a more scientific study, the divide wouldn't be so large.

Jump to Post

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter