Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Final Fantasy Series

"FFVI re-release screenshots...!"

01.20.2014 8:01am
 (Edited on 01.20.2014 at 9:02am)

Coolsetzer
Formerly Furysetzer

I consider VI to be my favorite video game of all time, and what they have done to it makes me upset. I really wish they had treated it with care instead of butchering it like this. On the Top Paid of the Play Store, it was #33 yesterday. Today it is #26. It costs $15.99, which is a hard pill to swallow. The user reviews cite that this "port" is less of a remake because the developers skimped on stuff, like typos in the script and missing Blitz inputs. Someone cited disliking the new battle screen. I am debating on biting the bullet and seeing if my phone can handle it. Maybe even doing a review for the site.

Jump to Post

01.20.2014 11:11am

Tristan
Just Giv'r

Bah, don't want to play it on my phone, but I could. Tempting, even with the hefty price tag and shitty, shitty drm idea (which is something I'm okay with in pc/console land because of a far more stable/reliable connection). The main sprites are so-so, they certainly seem better in motion anyways. The other graphics (backgrounds, monsters, attacks) look really good and I'm quite pleased at that. The character portraits seem to be a nice touch.

Would buy in a heartbeat if it became a download on consoles even with the little things I would like to see fixed still there.

I'm also curious on the script used, really prefer the SNES translation even with it's quirks.

Jump to Post

01.20.2014 1:51pm

Crono
Crono can cross dimensions too!

The DRM thing is absolutely ridiculous.  I've never been so happy to not have a smart phone.  I'm still curious as to how much they dumbed down the battle system.  Is it like 3 fights to get Ultima now? 

I just finishede a replay of VI-Advance.  I'm happy to still have the original and this.

Currently Playing: Dark Cloud 2: 3 hours.
Also Playing: CT, FF VI, Solatorobo, Secret of Mana, Halo 4.
Just Finished: Fable II: 7 hours.

Jump to Post

01.21.2014 12:52am

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

Crono said:

I just finishede a replay of VI-Advance.

That was a lot of toilet trips , my friend

Jump to Post

01.21.2014 2:02am

Crono

Haha, you remembered.  It wasn't ALL that by the end, just mostly.... probably 80%.  I think my final time was like 12-13 hours and it took about 4 months.  I skipped all the GBA stuff except Cactuar and I didn't do Ancient Castle, Doomgaze, Hidon, or Magi Master (although I did a Moogle climb for gear).  It was a halfassed (HAH!) playthrough for shits and giggles...ok I deserve to go to hell for that.

Jump to Post

01.21.2014 3:49am

Nelfichu
I've been there, hombre.

As far as ports/remakes go, the GBA one seems to be the way to go. The only negatives I've heard about it are it's subpar sound and lower resolution. But since I've only played the Anthology version, it can only be uphill from there, right?

Jump to Post

01.21.2014 4:44am

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

There's a ROMhack out there of the GBA version that puts back in the original SNES version's sound and you can use a flashcart to play it on the go. But I think the sound quality of the GBA version, while definitely not as good as the original, is good enough for a portable system and I think its lesser quality tends to get overhyped by SNES purists and FF6 fanboys.

I like how this thread got progressively more negative as it went on. The first screenshot shown actually looks pretty all right, but each successive screenshot gets worse and worse.

Jump to Post

01.21.2014 7:03am

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

Crono said:

Haha, you remembered.  It wasn't ALL that by the end, just mostly.... probably 80%.  I think my final time was like 12-13 hours and it took about 4 months.  I skipped all the GBA stuff except Cactuar and I didn't do Ancient Castle, Doomgaze, Hidon, or Magi Master (although I did a Moogle climb for gear).  It was a halfassed (HAH!) playthrough for shits and giggles...ok I deserve to go to hell for that.

HAHAHAHA...nice.  I'm still doing my playthrough, except i play everytime i use public transport (planes or trains)

Jump to Post

01.22.2014 1:53am

Nelfichu
I've been there, hombre.

Onyx said:

There's a ROMhack out there of the GBA version that puts back in the original SNES version's sound and you can use a flashcart to play it on the go.

You are a saint. I've been wanting to play through it with my g/f (who's never played VI), and this is exactly what I'll do. This is as good as the guy who fixed War of the Lion's battle slowdown issue on the PSP.

Jump to Post

01.22.2014 6:01am

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

Onyx said:

There's a ROMhack out there of the GBA version that puts back in the original SNES version's sound and you can use a flashcart to play it on the go. But I think the sound quality of the GBA version, while definitely not as good as the original, is good enough for a portable system and I think its lesser quality tends to get overhyped by SNES purists and FF6 fanboys.

I like how this thread got progressively more negative as it went on. The first screenshot shown actually looks pretty all right, but each successive screenshot gets worse and worse.

That's probably because FFVi advance actually sounds a little better coming from computer speakers than it does GBA speakers, so in retrospect playing it on an emualtor even without the hack makes us think we over hyped the sound as you said, but go listen to it on a GBA speaker and you'll see we didn't over react.

Jump to Post

01.22.2014 7:03am

Shadow
Comes and goes like the wind...

Yeah I'd almost say the GBA version is my favorite, it had the fixes to many of the poor translations, the extra dungeon (which I actually found to be pretty decently challenging even for my higher level characters), the player portraits on dialogue boxes, and overally looked pretty sharp on the small screen.

But yeah just had the drawbacks of the really "midi" sounding audio, and I still think the original line about Shadow in when you first meet him at the Inn was still better (mom's throat for a nickel), it's more hyperbole that establishes his reputation and something you could actually imagine someone saying.

[/over analysis]

I'll still pick up this remake on iPhone once it comes out.

Jump to Post

01.22.2014 7:48am

Coolsetzer
Formerly Furysetzer

The advance edition also looks pretty good on the Game Boy Player as well. Regarding the mobile release, it seems like they are listening to user reviews and updating the game by fixing some of the bugs. The Leo fight doesn't crash now, and the Blitz ability shows. I really want to get it, it's just that the DRM will suck, since I don't have a data plan on my phone. I would have to hang out at the coffee shop just to play it.

Jump to Post

01.22.2014 1:47pm

Crono

I always play the advance version with the audio and visual patches on my hacked PSP now.  The audio gets weird at the opera scenes but I'd assume that's the PSP's GBA emulator; I haven't tried it on PC yet.  I think the color fix is more important because some of those maps were just weird looking on GBA (Floating Continent I'm looking at you).

Jump to Post

01.22.2014 10:42pm

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

Spidey said:

That's probably because FFVi advance actually sounds a little better coming from computer speakers than it does GBA speakers, so in retrospect playing it on an emualtor even without the hack makes us think we over hyped the sound as you said, but go listen to it on a GBA speaker and you'll see we didn't over react.

I was speaking entirely about playing the GBA version on the DS, as a friend bought it for me as a birthday present years ago. I'm not sure how much worse the GBA speakers are compared to the original DS's, but I wasn't talking about playing a ROM on the PC via GBA emulator. I don't know where you got that idea from since the only thing I mentioned about emulation was a rom hack to replace FFVIA's music with the SNES original's. And you can play that on the go thanks to flashcarts.

I still think the sound quality issue, while definitely there, is still overhyped. It sounds worse for sure, but I don't think it's nearly as a big a deal as people make it out to be.

Jump to Post

01.23.2014 3:01am

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

I meant that I had reacted a lot more than I should have because I had played it on GBA, but once I played it on a computer emulator with my stereo speakers I didn't think the sound as bad, just a personal reason why I over reacted, I didn't intend to speak for your personal stance on it but rather my own. 

Actually just out of sheer curiosity on how Nintendo made these things, I wonder if the DS speakers are better than the GBA speakers even when playing GBA games.

Jump to Post

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter