Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Final Fantasy Series

FFXIV Stormblood: Soonâ„¢

< Prev 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 54 Next >

11.14.2012 1:06am

Enkidoh
Time Travelling White Mage

For those who haven't played XIV at all or not enough (as in my case) and didn't quite understand what was going on in that trailer, SE posted a plot rundown of the ending to the original game on their blog, explaining the circumstances and runup to the events of the trailer: http://na.square-enix.com/finalfantasyxivarealmreborn/go/article/view/blog/260831/final_fantasy_xiv:_a_realm_reborn_end_of_an_era

Much of what was mentioned there had already been listed on FF Wiki, but at least now hearing it straight from the source at least silences those stupid Bahamut -doubters.

Jump to Post

11.14.2012 4:00pm

Aquila
Usually lurking
Administrator

Why were there doubts about that dragon being Bahamut or not in the first place?  I thought it was pretty obvious.

Jump to Post

11.14.2012 5:21pm

Enkidoh

Who knows, but I have a suspicison that there are so many players in denial about it being Bahamut because they're vainly holding out hope that Bahamut would eventually be made player summonable in 2.0 - considering that Bahamut was just part of the storyline in FFXI (in Chains of Promathia, in a simillar, albiet less destructive, form) and not summonable, probably has ensured they've theorized that if that is Bahamut in the End of an Era trailer, then Bahamut will not be summonable by players in FFXIV either. Morons, the lot of them.

Here's the thread with the Bahamut-deniers in question on the offical forum (although most of them did come around eventually, there are still a few who insist it's Shinryu):

https://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/57632-Shinryu-huh.

Now I remember why I don't normally browse the official forums.

Jump to Post

11.23.2012 11:16pm

Aquila
Usually lurking
Administrator

Looks better in the movie.

Jump to Post

11.26.2012 10:45am

Enkidoh

Image isnt showing for me sorry Aqui.

Incidentally, as promised the original version servers are back up, and content has been rebooted back to late September - it's kinda weird seeing Dalamud back up in the sky and Lousioux back in Gridania acting like nothing has happened. :p

And despite being told they're no longer available, after checking the bed in my inn room I found this little surprise:

Never mind the fact I haven't even unlocked DRG yet (or even levelled LCR beyond 1 too for that matter!) :p Still an nice surprise nonetheless.

Jump to Post

11.26.2012 10:37pm
Thread Creator

Zubis
Registered Member

Why FF14 1.0 sucked: https://kotaku.com/5963155/new-final-fantasy-xiv-director-talks-about-what-went-wrong-with-the-original

To Yoshida, the biggest problems with the original Final Fantasy XIV came from how the game itself was envisioned and developed. Final Fantasy XI, Square Enix's other Final Fantasy MMO, was developed as a game where Final Fantasy would meet EverQuestâ??the top MMORPG of the day. In fact, according to Yoshida, the entire staff played EverQuest for at least a year while developing FFXI, trying to figure out just what exactly made it work so well. "I think it would've been good to do the same thing [for the original FFXIV]."

"So, because they tried only to make something that was 'different from FFXI,' they ended up with not much of anything."

In Yoshida's opinion, the reason FFXI was a success is that it took the areas where Final Fantasy was strongestâ??cutscenes, dramatic scenarios, and story-driven contentâ??and input them into an EverQuest inspired framework.

However, when the original FFXIV was in development, the goal of the project was simply to make a game that was different from Final Fantasy XI. Yoshida feels that the creators didn't recognize that the global standard of MMOs had been significantly raised in recent years. He would have suggested a different path for the gameâ??one that mirrored FFXI's own creation. "I think it would've been good if they tried seeing what happened if they turned World of Warcraft into Final Fantasy. So, because they tried only to make something that was 'different from FFXI,' they ended up with not much of anything."

Jump to Post

11.27.2012 2:34am

Aquila
Usually lurking
Administrator

https://www.4gamer.net/games/092/G009287/20121120049/screenshot.html?num=024 If the picture's not working for you, click here.

Jump to Post

12.14.2012 4:30pm
 (Edited on 12.14.2012 at 6:49pm)

Clowd Cole
Dangerous Zombie

Welp, im in the alpha. Downloading it now. 

Played for about 2 hours and there is something disterbing about an MMO where you can change a catgirl's panties in the inventory screen. 

Buggle Up! Danger! Danger! (Genocide!) Death the Crisis! Dangerous Zombie!

Jump to Post

12.15.2012 1:12am

Enkidoh

In the original game you can do that too - underwear is classed like regular equipment (my character is wearing the swimwear from the first summer event as hers ;)).

I applied for the 2.0 Alpha, but only after being sent one of those 'apply now!' emails from SE, so I probably won't hear anything til the last round of offers (December 17 apparently).

Also, red your underwear comment Clowd - isn't that techically a violation of the NDA? ;)

Jump to Post

12.15.2012 1:31am

Clowd Cole
Dangerous Zombie

Jump to Post

12.17.2012 8:15pm
 (Edited on 12.19.2012 at 9:43am)

Enkidoh

Hah, you're game, seeing as how SE has eyes and ears everywhere (seriously, SE stated they're scoruring websites for Alpha test NDA violations).

I also got into the Alpha which was a nice surprise. My lips are sealed as to what it's like though. ;)

Alpha apparently ends at the end of the month, with the Beta to start sometime early next month probably.

EDIT: well, we all knew it was inevitable, but 1.0 service is going to end again, for good this time it seems, as the login numbers aren't enough to sustain it (I can vouch for that - I've been logging in almost every day and there's usually less than five people on my server, most AFK), as shown on the FFXIV Lodestone ( http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/index.html?rgn=3&lang=2):

Closing of FINAL FANTASY XIV Worlds (12/18/2012)

All FINAL FANTASY XIV Worlds will be taken offline December 31, 2012, at 06:59 a.m. (PST).

Don't miss out on your last chance for adventure before the realm is reborn!

Still, a little sad to see it finally shut down (as there was still stuff I wanted to do before that happened). Ah well, no use complaining about it. :( So, for those who still have an active FFXIV account, this is your last chance to experience the original FFXIV before 2.0 service starts in a few months.

Jump to Post

12.19.2012 8:34pm

Areas
Formerly Kenshin

Also got in Alpha.  Not sure if I can even say which server I'm on.

Jump to Post

12.20.2012 5:14pm

amaron
No answer, must be that deaf bitch.

Does the Alpha run any better than the original game?

They kept mentioning that it'll be scalable, but I don't believe it very much.

Jump to Post

12.21.2012 10:24am

Enkidoh

Sadly the Alpha NDA also includes info related to specifications so unfortunately I'm not allowed to say anything about that. Once the Alpha is over though and the NDA no longer applies I'll let you know. ;)

Jump to Post

01.20.2013 9:37pm

Shadow
Comes and goes like the wind...

Well right now, I still have a Final Fantasy XI subscription (that I'm enjoying), it's kind of a nice fall back game for me to get into a couple times a year when new game releases slow down. Since I did buy Final Fantasy XIV at launch I really have nothing to lose by giving 2.0 a chance, since I'll apparently still be able to download it when it launches for PC. If I like it then I'll consider finally ending my FFXI character and giving it a full go, but with Seekers of Adoulin coming out this year, I could see myself tied up with XI just a bit longer.

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 54 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter