Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Final Fantasy Series

Final Fantasy XV.

03.17.2013 7:26pm

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

Clowd Cole said:

How about some Adult Characters no more teen shit.

This is what I want the most.

The thing i want the 2nd most is to be able to input the commands of everyone in my party. No more relying on AI whatsoever. Sick of that shit.  I want to plan a chess match for battles, not a war battle. 

Jump to Post

03.18.2013 2:32am

ManjiSanji
Insanity Mongoose

More characters like Auron.

Jump to Post

03.18.2013 4:57am

Cameron
Registered Member

The Dark Knight meets Game of Thrones.

The grounded reality of Nolan with Martin's character development, world and story.

Enough flying around over-the-top cartoony cutscenes and inconsistent 'powers'.  And enough cheesy dialogue and obvious young hero cliches. 

Really, write a good story, with good characters, in a deep and open world that makes sense (i.e. not Cocoon), and the game should figure itself out. 

Jump to Post

03.18.2013 5:41am

Dr Squirrel
medicine woman

wild guess: it's gonna suck and we're not going to see actual gameplay trailers or tangible gameplay info until it's been two years after it's announced

trust me, i'm a doctor

Jump to Post

03.18.2013 6:39am

Seelas
I want to go back.

Crisium said:

Just give me a turn based, job system.  And I don't mean ATB, I mean FFX style turn-based.  There's enough fast paced real time JRPGs out there that Final Fantasy does not need to do this.
Man, I'm so down with this. When I was playing Ni no Kuni recently it just honestly shocked me how much you have to give up to make a JRPG real-time. It's become normal to wrestle with shitty companion AI and have your options limited to crappy macrostrategies like "keep us healed!" and like, what are we gaining from this? All of the best JRPG battle systems I've ever played - Digital Devil Saga, Nocturne, FFX, FFT, Xenosaga III - have been completely turn-based.

Unfortunately they'll never do it, turn-based is just not in vogue, even though it is the superior implementation.

Aside from that, just write a coherent story. I don't care about the setting, I don't care if the protagonist is a teenage boy, I don't care if people have zippers on their costumes, I don't care if there's a hyperactive female character with a squeaky voice. I can stomach all of these things if it just demonstrates sound fundamentals of storytelling. Give me a protagonist with some positive qualities and some flaws they have to struggle with. Give me an antagonist that relates to the protagonist in some way and doesn't just show up occasionally for boss fights. Then just roll with it and make sure things still make sense. It's honestly surprising how many game stories don't meet this standard!

Also, I'd like to see a more robust endgame? Every Final Fantasy since X has made the endgame into a systematized grind. Grind arena monsters to max your sphere grid so you can beat tougher arena monsters. Find the right place to chain these monsters so you can maximize your chance at getting their 1% drop. Kill Adamantoises 500 times so you can get enough money to upgrade your weapons. Could we get, like, some real sidequests, with optional dungeons where the characters speak and events happen? I wasn't the hugest fan of Lost Odyssey but the fact that it had a lot of optional dungeons was a real treat, and reminded me how rich these older RPGs used to feel.

Jump to Post

03.18.2013 9:39am

Kal
yes

Cameron said:

The Dark Knight meets Game of Thrones.

The grounded reality of Nolan with Martin's character development, world and story.

Enough flying around over-the-top cartoony cutscenes and inconsistent 'powers'.  And enough cheesy dialogue and obvious young hero cliches. 

Maybe you should switch to WRPGs :p

Jump to Post

03.18.2013 1:29pm

Cameron
Registered Member

Kal said:

Maybe you should switch to WRPGs :p

Ha, maybe you're right.  I've never really given them a chance.  I just keep (stupidly) hoping for Final Fantasy to meet me half way.  I feel like XII just missed the mark.  It had the world, and the consistency, and it even had good characters - it just failed to develop them or put them into an interesting story.  For me, Tactics is the best story in the series, so I think Square-Enix is capable of putting it all together...

Jump to Post

03.18.2013 1:44pm
Thread Creator

Zubis
Registered Member

Am I the only one that can't play traditional turn based RPGs anymore? I find them as boring as hell.

Jump to Post

03.19.2013 1:25am

SuperSquall
Shortening His Posts

Zubis said:

Am I the only one that can't play traditional turn based RPGs anymore? I find them as boring as hell.
FFTactics?

Jump to Post

03.19.2013 9:51am
 (Edited on 03.19.2013 at 10:00am)

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

Seelas said:

Man, I'm so down with this. When I was playing Ni no Kuni recently it just honestly shocked me how much you have to give up to make a JRPG real-time. It's become normal to wrestle with shitty companion AI and have your options limited to crappy macrostrategies like "keep us healed!" and like, what are we gaining from this? All of the best JRPG battle systems I've ever played - Digital Devil Saga, Nocturne, FFX, FFT, Xenosaga III - have been completely turn-based.

Unfortunately they'll never do it, turn-based is just not in vogue, even though it is the superior implementation.

Aside from that, just write a coherent story. I don't care about the setting, I don't care if the protagonist is a teenage boy, I don't care if people have zippers on their costumes, I don't care if there's a hyperactive female character with a squeaky voice. I can stomach all of these things if it just demonstrates sound fundamentals of storytelling. Give me a protagonist with some positive qualities and some flaws they have to struggle with. Give me an antagonist that relates to the protagonist in some way and doesn't just show up occasionally for boss fights. Then just roll with it and make sure things still make sense. It's honestly surprising how many game stories don't meet this standard!

Also, I'd like to see a more robust endgame? Every Final Fantasy since X has made the endgame into a systematized grind. Grind arena monsters to max your sphere grid so you can beat tougher arena monsters. Find the right place to chain these monsters so you can maximize your chance at getting their 1% drop. Kill Adamantoises 500 times so you can get enough money to upgrade your weapons. Could we get, like, some real sidequests, with optional dungeons where the characters speak and events happen? I wasn't the hugest fan of Lost Odyssey but the fact that it had a lot of optional dungeons was a real treat, and reminded me how rich these older RPGs used to feel.

Personally my favorite battle system is Valkyrie Profile 2, which makes it feel real time but gives all the advantages of a turn based game.  Not sure why more games dont use the "real time as long as you are moving" mechanic, which removes the mundanity of waiting around but at the same time provides the chess qualities of turn based that we so love.  ;(strategize, and plan out all your characters/pieces moves with full control). 

One thing I'd love to see attempted is a real time battle system that lets you control all characters at once. Use one character, do something, then time transports the player back and you use another character, at which point depending what you did with your first character you can combo with him or find some other strategy. You'd see what your first character did similar to how you'd see ghosts in mario kart 64. This would be awesome. 

Jump to Post

03.19.2013 10:10am
Thread Creator

Zubis
Registered Member

I always wanted characters to work together, something like Chrono Trigger I guess?

One character casts Ice, another character casts Wind, combined they are Blizzard, things like that.

Jump to Post

03.19.2013 10:30am

Kal
yes

Zubis said:

I always wanted characters to work together, something like Chrono Trigger I guess?

One character casts Ice, another character casts Wind, combined they are Blizzard, things like that.
That's one of my favorite things about the battle system in Chrono Trigger/Cross. It really makes you think of your party as, well, a team and not just three individual fighters.

I like characters to feel unique in battle and unique abilities that are actually useful. The big problem with most FFs (especially the later ones) is that most fights, including bosses, can be won by straightforward attacking and in the end, the characters become ultimately interchangeable so it's not really fun anymore.
Make the damage cap harder to attain, especially with regular attacks, it makes the special attacks feel more, well, special. When your average attack hits for 9999 why bother using magic or other abilities at all.

I feel like the strength of FF over other RPGs used to be its strategic battle system and as the trend moved towards faster paced or even real-time battle systems, FF tried to follow but failed kinda.

Jump to Post

03.19.2013 1:48pm

Colinp42
Registered Member

That's why FFIV and IX are up there among my favorites.  I really like how each character has their use and you can't just make any character fill any role.

Jump to Post

03.19.2013 7:00pm

Murasame
HALE YEAH

FFXIII had that, but I don't think it went quite far enough with it. It was still good, in that your party mattered again.

Jump to Post

03.19.2013 10:06pm

Blayze
Registered Member

Murasame said:

FFXIII had that, but I don't think it went quite far enough with it. It was still good, in that your party mattered again.
See I disagree totally with that, and found that battlewise, XIII's characters were pretty much interchangeable. Sure some had higher max magic, or strength, but ultimately anyone could use any battle role fairly effectively, even if they were initially unsuited to it, they developed enough HP or other stats to give it a good go (also disliked the lack of stats in XIII - where was accuracy, evasion etc which could add a little more variation)

I'd like a IX style system where each character has a fixed role that sets them apart from all others - when picking your party do you want the black or the more abstract blue mage, the all out-physical powerhouse or someone capable of a mixture of (lesser) physical but a variety of special attacks too. There'd be no chance of using Vivi or Eiko as a front-line attacker, or Steiner as your white mage, you had to micro manage more because they each had their own skillset. Unfortunately most battles in IX didn't really force you into strategic planning, but I was at least forced to use characters in different ways. VI was another system I enjoyed (possibly my favourite), as each character had their own niche role that helped them stand out - sure they could all do magic and attack, but most could add something very different to the team.

Jump to Post

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter