Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Final Fantasy Series

Final Fantasy XV.

03.19.2013 10:32pm
Thread Creator

Zubis
Registered Member

I'm okay with characters being diverse but somewhat flexible. I'm tired of the knight and weak girl healer clichés.

Jump to Post

03.20.2013 12:51am

Colinp42
Registered Member

So why not kick-ass warrior woman and weak boy healer? :)

Jump to Post

03.20.2013 1:00am

Kal
yes

^Is why when I first played FFIX I desperately hoped Beatrix would join the party :(

Jump to Post

03.20.2013 1:02am
Thread Creator

Zubis
Registered Member

Well why not? I think Final Fantasy is stereotypical when it comes to many roles. How many FF games have male healers?

Jump to Post

03.20.2013 1:34am

SuperSquall
Shortening His Posts

^
Just reversing a role isn't enough.  The female can be a weak healer for all I care if she finally gets an interesting (or existent) personality.  We are long removed from Celes, Tifa, Garnet and Terra.  They wanted Lighting to be a badass in FFXIII but she ended up being Samus from Metroid: Other M.  They wanted Snow to be Locke and instead he's just your average douchebag.  They need to revisit how they write these characters, because right now we've had more good Final Fantasy characters in the Kingdom Hearts series than we've had in Final Fantasy in the last decade.

Jump to Post

03.20.2013 2:11am

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

They could really use some new writing talent at Square Enix.  It's been abhorrent lately.

Jump to Post

03.20.2013 3:57am

shooter_mcgavin
Registered Member

ManjiSanji said:

More characters like Auron.

Nah. He's pretty much your sterotypical old guy in JRPGs.

Jump to Post

03.20.2013 4:51am

Dr Squirrel
medicine woman

Auron was a hell of a lot more than that.  He had a solid backstory, motivation, weaknesses and a incredible exit from the game.  His character developed from the minute you saw him until he left.

trust me, i'm a doctor

Jump to Post

03.20.2013 5:53am

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

He wasn't even that old. IIRC he was supposed to be in his early 40's and was really physically fit. Definitely anything but the stereotypical old geezer cliche.

Spoiler: Move your mouse over the container to reveal.
Granted he was a lot younger than that when he died, but I guess unsent folks still age or something.

Jump to Post

03.20.2013 8:03am

shooter_mcgavin
Registered Member

Colinp42 said:

So why not kick-ass warrior woman and weak boy healer? :)

The first one reminds me of how Dragon Age Awakening trolled around the audience

Dr Squirrel said:

Auron was a hell of a lot more than that.  He had a solid backstory, motivation, weaknesses and a incredible exit from the game.  His character developed from the minute you saw him until he left.

But there was something about him I couldn't buy. Maybe it was his mannerisms or maybe the wise veteran role felt too much of a caricature. Granted I like the character enough but I am not that in love with him.

Speaking of elderly characters and motivation, I would give credit to how Sazh backstory and motivation was done in FFXIII. I think Square Enix can get way over their heads in creating a story for their characters that they don't realize that the simplest motivations can be the most emotionally effective. Unfortuantley FFXIII was boggled down with too many negatives and Sazh was regulated to the background later in the game.

Jump to Post

03.20.2013 10:17am

Arckanghel
Pirate.

Zubis said:

I always wanted characters to work together, something like Chrono Trigger I guess?

One character casts Ice, another character casts Wind, combined they are Blizzard, things like that.

Crystal Chronicles for Gamecube did a really nice job of this. How it was imlemented there though would be hard to imlement in the main series.

FFXI did a really good job of needing different roles to make everything work, but that's where we got the whole AI replacement... when it got way too complicated to have real time comlex actions in control of multiple characters and not have turns.

FF is so far removed from everything that made it work, I'm not even sure how you go back to that quality again. Anything that reaches some of the same comlexity automatically goes on the docket for an MMO title.

Jump to Post

03.20.2013 3:31pm

amaron
No answer, must be that deaf bitch.

Apparently Final Fantasy Versus XIII is now Final Fantasy XV, a PS4 exclusive.

If so, it's going to bomb. NO console has ever had a huge launch.

https://www.vgleaks.com/final-fantasy-xv-will-be-exclusive-on-ps4/

Jump to Post

03.22.2013 8:08am

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

Guaranteed its only exlcusive for a year or something. This company can't help themselves

Jump to Post

03.22.2013 2:32pm

Crono
Crono can cross dimensions too!

The original article on gematsu says the listing was wrong.  I don't know if that regards the PS3 or PS4 FF XV though.  either way, how the hell did I miss this thread for a week? 

Currently Playing: Dark Cloud 2: 3 hours.
Also Playing: CT, FF VI, Solatorobo, Secret of Mana, Halo 4.
Just Finished: Fable II: 7 hours.

Jump to Post

03.22.2013 4:00pm

Aquila
Usually lurking
Administrator

Even if it's exclusive, it's probably only exclusive until Yboy720 launches.

Jump to Post

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter