Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Final Fantasy Series

Is there some excitement left for a new Final Fantasy?

< Prev 1 ... 9 10 11 12 Next >

10.23.2012 10:12am

Rhaegar
World Warrior 21007

I strongly dislike FFXII. I absolutely LOATHE FFXIII.

Jump to Post

10.23.2012 11:33am
 (Edited on 10.23.2012 at 11:42am)

Mavilu
Yep, still gaming

Crisium said:

Oh, I meant all 3 PSX games of course. I really think the pre-rendered backgrounds are the way to go. Even FFX had a handful of prerendered areas and I think they were among the better looking parts of the game.

https://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffx/17/49.jpg

So they release an old school FF for the IOS reminiscent of FFI - V. But, even though VI is my favourite, I think they need to make a new PSX style FF rpg complete with pre-rendered backgrounds to really rejuvinate the series. XIII is gorgeous as heck and, even as primarily a PC gamer, it made my jaws drop. But imagine 1920x1080 pre-rednered backgrounds with FFXIII or better character models. The unique angles and detail put into each area really make pre-rendered the way to go.

Some PS2-GCN era RPGs still used pre-rendered and they looked very nice, having the benefit of 480 rather than the usual ~240 res for PSX games.

Baten Kaitos Origins, for example (models rendered in 720, background upscaled from 480):

https://www.abload.de/img/563b5959a2ab4afbb242eflxik.jpg

But FFIX still does it best imo. I am especialy partial toward the South Gate:

https://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120608192859/finalfantasy/images/3/39/SouthGateBohdenGate2.png
https://lparchive.org/Final-Fantasy-IX/Update%2009/49-PSOGL2_529.jpg
https://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20071204230160/finalfantasy/images/thumb/1/1f/South_Gate.JPG/611px-South_Gate.JPG
https://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120611222249/finalfantasy/images/5/5a/SouthGateTrail.png
https://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120611222921/finalfantasy/images/e/e4/SouthGateTrenoArch.png
https://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120608192921/finalfantasy/images/3/36/SouthGateBohdenArch.png

Beautiful.

Every time I watch Tangled, I can't help but think that a revamped FFIX would look just like the movie; especially the parts around the town

[youtube]chppF5jqKNw&feature=related[/youtube]

I give up, I can never, ever make the video thing work, here's the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chppF5jqKNw&feature=related

Jump to Post

10.23.2012 3:05pm

Crux
A mental Dentist's office

Just use the alphanumeric sequence before the & and you've got it.

Jump to Post

10.24.2012 6:03am

Mavilu
Yep, still gaming

A-ha!.
Thank you. :)

Jump to Post

10.26.2012 3:04pm

Sam Biscuits
Custard Creams

It does look like Alexadria.

Jump to Post

10.26.2012 8:56pm
 (Edited on 10.26.2012 at 9:02pm)

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

I agree that pre rendered backgrounds were amazing and some of the best looking FF scenes and areas are from those PS1 FF's, but games nowadays can do this too, without pre rendered backgrounds. Check out this brilliant Satori Marsh scene in xenoblade:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTTWjh3JqtM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9oU6GxSgdc#t=3m27s

Just as Viator said, honestly think game designers were just forced to be more creative and artistic back then with the use of pre rendered backgrounds, not so much that pre rendered backgrounds are the superior option.  Lot of game designers (and gamers) nowdays seem to think that more detail and more power is a better looking game, whereas at least for me, the best looking games are those with the best artistic direction, like that Xenoblade scene right there. It baffles my mind that people say Xenoblade has bad graphics, when to me, it is the best looking JRPG of all time, and there is nothing on the PS3 that comes even close to matching its graphics. Ditto for Okami, but is one of the best looking games of all time as well. I can only salivate at what the designers of those pre rendered backgrounds in FF7-9 would do if they had the freedom to really push any art direction rather than just push up the polygon count and total number of colors used. Just my opinion.

Jump to Post

10.26.2012 10:25pm

Crisium
N/A

Oh ya, playing Xenoblade in 1080 compares to FFXIII on a technical level (besides the character models).  But it's really the artistic level that takes it beyond FFXIII.

Jump to Post

10.27.2012 11:35am

shooter_mcgavin
Registered Member

Regarding Final Fantasy XII, I know a lot of people here didn't like the game but I would like to highlight another aspect why I am on the side that this game is really good.

I think it's the characters. While yes its true the characters were not the best developed of an FF ensemble I would also like to argue how the characters did, their background, and motivation did look like they blended in perfectly in the world of Ivalice. Example is Vaan, who I know people hated, but he was just a regular orphan who stumbled upon this skirmish with Ashe, Basch, Baltheir and he tagged along. And he did so because he hated the life he was living and wanted to fulfill his dream of being a sky pirate and being free. If you look at the characters their motivations and such they work within the confines of their setting thus showing that the writers respected the world they created enough so that the main characters don't go beyond the confines of the story's political intriuge.

Now this is diffrent from previous FF games . Like FFX and XIII. But neither approach of FFXII and XIII/X are better or more ideal. It's just execution. FFX had it's characters stand out in Spira but still told a great story, but I think FFXIII went overboard it was in the extend that these characters looked alien to Pulse and Cocoon.

I guess the best example is how FFXIII and FFXII approaches its characters is the build up to the finale.

in FFXII
Spoiler: Move your mouse over the container to reveal.
In the fortress of Bahamut the rebels had an air strike againts the sky fortress. Our heroes were part of the skirmish, they didn't stand out or look out of place or do anything out of the ordinary in the confines of an air raid. Sure they were given the task to infaltrate the fortress but it still looked like they were part of the battle, and the war the Marquis and his rebel army was fighting for . 

in FFXIII
Spoiler: Move your mouse over the container to reveal.
  some wierd s*** happens and the heroes start showing off their summons doing some more crazy s*** that makes no sense in the world or anything really. It's like flashyness after flashyness without putting it in the context of the story, plot, or setting

Jump to Post

10.28.2012 3:22pm

Enkidoh
Time Travelling White Mage

The thing is, Vaan had virtually no reason to tag along, other than that he happened to be in the right place at the right time. Okay, maybe he did have that simmering tension towards Basch in regards to Reks, but it was still a very trivial reason regardless. After escaping from the Leviathan, Vaan and Penelo virtually had no connection to the plot whatsoever - the storyline was practically all about Basch, Ashe and to a lesser extent Balthier and Fran. Vaan could have turned into a statue and it wouldn't have made a difference to the pacing of the narrative at all.

Not that XII's narrative was anything original or particularly groundbreaking anyway - it was just Star Wars Episode IV in Ivalice. Nothing more. The fact SE couldn't even come up with an original story shows just how cynical the company has now become, a sad decline which has only accelerated with XIII and XIV.

And the less said of them the better.

Jump to Post

10.28.2012 6:25pm

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

People want to play heroes, not nobodies. Vaan not only had very little relevance to the plot, but never gained any either. He was one of the most pointless characters in the series. This would be fine if he wasn't supposed to be the player avatar, like if he was a bonus character or something. But he was (thanks to Square Enix corporate interference), and that's a problem.

He and Penelo came into their own in later games, at least. But in the original FF12 they could've been replaced by a couple of random villagers and not a thing would've changed.

Jump to Post

10.28.2012 7:27pm
 (Edited on 10.28.2012 at 7:32pm)

Crisium
N/A

I'm gonna bring it back to the Overworld discussion that was going on a while ago.  I was thinking what I really liked about the old FF games were the multiple Overwolds and modes of transport.  FFIII has two, plus underwater.  IV has an Overwold, Underwold, and Lunar world.  V has two.  VI has two.  Even VII has underwater. 

Even FFVIII, which only has one Overworld, at least sticks with the tradition of multiple modes of transporation.  First you have to rely on walking, cars, or even trains which are all limitted.  Then the Garden is like an (awkward) almost airship before you get a real airship.  VII does it very nicely too with the buggie, boat (airplane), and of course multiple chocobos.  IX carried the multiple chocobo tradition (which actually started with IV), as well as having a boat.  III had a cool feature with an airship that couldn't pass over mountains.

I just love exploring these worlds and gradually getting better transportation.  These are staples of old school jRPGs, as even FFI had the canoe and Dragon Quest III had mutliple worlds.  I liked the familiar feel of DQ3's main Overworld map too.

"Italy" had a town name Romaly, "Iberia" (Spain/Portugal) had a town named Portoga, the North American village called Soo had people who dressed like American aborigines (Sioux), and many more cool examples.  Sure this could have even been done with FFX's interface, but traversing the overworld just made it even better imo.

Jump to Post

10.28.2012 8:16pm

shooter_mcgavin
Registered Member

Onyx said:

People want to play heroes, not nobodies. Vaan not only had very little relevance to the plot, but never gained any either. He was one of the most pointless characters in the series. This would be fine if he wasn't supposed to be the player avatar, like if he was a bonus character or something. But he was (thanks to Square Enix corporate interference), and that's a problem.

I'm going to call in Square-Enix with this baffle. Vaan would be an acceptable supporting character and I guess that was the plan since Matsuno either wanted Balthier or Basch (conflicting reports) as the central character.

But Vaan's arc is simple and I am willing to accept it for what it is.

Jump to Post

10.28.2012 9:23pm

The Hulk
Good Boy

At this point I remember next to nothing about FF12's characters other than that Balthier was a dire pile of clichés that everyone thought was oh-so-cool for some reason.  Even the people who shit all over the game often admitted to recognizing his awesomeness.  It baffled me.

Jump to Post

10.29.2012 1:01am

Mavilu
Yep, still gaming

Oh, I don't care about the story that much, honestly.
But I did grow to like (no, actually love) that particular world, that, besides the gambits were enought for a game to me at the time.
But it does help if I don't think of it as a Final Fantasy game.

Jump to Post

10.29.2012 3:00pm

shooter_mcgavin
Registered Member

Crisium said:

I'm gonna bring it back to the Overworld discussion that was going on a while ago.  I was thinking what I really liked about the old FF games were the multiple Overwolds and modes of transport.  FFIII has two, plus underwater.  IV has an Overwold, Underwold, and Lunar world.  V has two.  VI has two.  Even VII has underwater. 

Even FFVIII, which only has one Overworld, at least sticks with the tradition of multiple modes of transporation.  First you have to rely on walking, cars, or even trains which are all limitted.  Then the Garden is like an (awkward) almost airship before you get a real airship.  VII does it very nicely too with the buggie, boat (airplane), and of course multiple chocobos.  IX carried the multiple chocobo tradition (which actually started with IV), as well as having a boat.  III had a cool feature with an airship that couldn't pass over mountains.

I just love exploring these worlds and gradually getting better transportation.  These are staples of old school jRPGs, as even FFI had the canoe and Dragon Quest III had mutliple worlds.  I liked the familiar feel of DQ3's main Overworld map too.

"Italy" had a town name Romaly, "Iberia" (Spain/Portugal) had a town named Portoga, the North American village called Soo had people who dressed like American aborigines (Sioux), and many more cool examples.  Sure this could have even been done with FFX's interface, but traversing the overworld just made it even better imo.

There are many reasons to love Dragon Quest III ... the huge world is one of them. Great thing is that when the franchise decided to go 3D with DQVIII, it still managed to capture the detail and rich overworld from its 2D predecessors.

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 ... 9 10 11 12 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter