Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Final Fantasy Series

Why Lightning Returns was delayed by 6 months.

< Prev 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 16 Next >

02.12.2014 5:01pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

Old Juan said:

Old Juan said:

Because class doesn't exist in this dojo.

Wow, formatting on this post has completely give up its will to live.

Jump to Post

02.12.2014 5:50pm

Big Tall
Taller Than Tall

It sounds like the combat can be fun, but everything else is a mess. Glad I've stayed away from this trilogy.

Jump to Post

02.12.2014 6:34pm
 (Edited on 02.12.2014 at 6:40pm)

Coolsetzer
Formerly Furysetzer

[quote=shooter_mcgavin] I kind of feel Lightning will be around the FF conciousness for a very long time. Square-Enix pretty much spent the entire generation telling us she's the coolest character in the franchise and best Female potagonist in the series ever. Plus we know Lightning is going to have a prominent role in KH3 :P
Sorry, but as far as female protagonists go, she's middle tier. There are many other women in the FF universe that have more compelling stories.

reido said:

Wow, formatting on this post has completely give up its will to live.

"Like"

Heading out to pick it up today. This game better have a Birthday Costume.

Jump to Post

02.12.2014 9:12pm

Sanna
What a Tedious fight!

Thirdtwin said:

Ugh, that tomb raider costume makes her look all dirty and shit. :x

I think that's the point, given she's dressed as Lara Croft and she gets all dirty and shit in Tomb Raider. :P

I still haven't played the demo. I just don't care that much. So glad I didn't actually invest any of my own money  in this series of games (Got XIII originally as a birthday present).

Jump to Post

02.13.2014 12:41am

Areas
Formerly Kenshin

Finished the first main quest last night.  The story is more convoluted than ever.  Game is very hard.  Really hard; even with the preorder DLC. I can't imagine doing some of the fights without Yuna/Cloud's schematas tbh.  Anyway, story is shit and sidequests are ridiculously annoying yet it kept me playing til 5:30 am this morning (had to be at work at 9).  So... I don't know. Guess it's fun. :|

Jump to Post

02.13.2014 9:08am

Shadow
Comes and goes like the wind...

Areas said:

Finished the first main quest last night.  The story is more convoluted than ever.  Game is very hard.  Really hard; even with the preorder DLC. I can't imagine doing some of the fights without Yuna/Cloud's schematas tbh.  Anyway, story is shit and sidequests are ridiculously annoying yet it kept me playing til 5:30 am this morning (had to be at work at 9).  So... I don't know. Guess it's fun. :|

Will putting the game on easy help? I remember being super annoyed that FFXIII-2 had such a nice difficulty curve until the last boss which just ruined me in the first couple stages (of which there were many more) before I finally beat the game by switching to EASY MODE and just barely getting by.

Jump to Post

02.13.2014 10:12am
 (Edited on 02.13.2014 at 10:27am)

Enkidoh
Time Travelling White Mage

Yeah, I've heard Easy mode makes things so much better - 'Normal' mode really should read 'ultra hard'.

Just picked up the PAL version (steel box thingy), and the stupid Playstation Store won't accept the brand new code that came with it for the Cloud costume DLC >< Then the PSN store crashed and I had to restart my PS3, resulting in a system restore, and now not even the European PS3 support site is working (it literally went down for maintenance when I started to view it). I guess Sony is having major issues at the moment. Figures I guess.

I'm still annoyed that Europe missed out on the Aeris costume though, but ah well...

EDIT: and it looks like it's just Sony dragging their feet as usual in that the European codes haven't yet been uploaded onto the PSN servers yet - considering the Euro PSN is updated once a week on a Wednesday, somehow I don't think I'm going to get this DLC yet. Stupid Sony. ><

Jump to Post

02.13.2014 10:53am

Areas
Formerly Kenshin

I started on Normal Mode and it can't be changed. I'm not restarting.  I'll just stick it out.  It gets better as you do more sidequests (the way to "level" in this game).  You really need to be on the ball on your guarding though (also a good way to stagger enemies if you time it correctly).  Didn't get to play last night since I have some coding projects to finish, but I'll be able to play after work today.

Jump to Post

02.13.2014 12:12pm

Shadow
Comes and goes like the wind...

Sounds like I'll just try and start out on EASY MODE and see if I can enjoy the game that way. I'm in an even worse situation with PSN codes because I have a North American PSN account, but live in Europe now and buy European copies of the game, so any codes I get with the game will not work, I'll have to buy the content (if/when it becomes available).

But for example my online pass for THE LAST OF US wouldn't workk because euro copy of the game + NA PSN account. Anyways back to the topic, I'm still really looking forward to playing this game despite all the mixed reviews. FFXIII-2 was a fun enough gaming experience for me even if it didn't blow me away, I like playing RPG's and I think I'll get what I want out of this game.

I have pretty tempered expectations going in, which I think helps.

Jump to Post

02.13.2014 1:03pm

Enkidoh
Time Travelling White Mage

Definetely try it in easy mode - the demo version was in 'normal mode' by the way, so if you were like me and had so much trouble with it, go easy mode.

I tried the game out for a bit earlier, and in easy mode, it is so much more enjoyable. The story is rubbish though (is it just me, or has the whole FFXIII mythos, which was never a work of art to begin with,, now degenerated into a FF version of Seventh Day Adventism with the whole 'world is about to end and a messiah is being sent to 'save' everyone to be reborn in a new world? And where before every second word was 'fal'cie this' and 'Focus that', now it's just the word 'God' mentioned over and over again, like I'd stepped into a surreal Christian revival meeting.), but hey, it's FFXIII, so nothing has really changed on that front.

The hand holding though everything is pretty annoying too, but at least that's just at the start more or less. Still, the game is fun, which is the main thing.

Jump to Post

02.13.2014 1:31pm

Old Juan
filled with hate

Been playing it for a bit on normal. The difficulty of the random battles is much higher than previous entries in the XIII series. But in a way a lot of it is artificial. Part of the big problem with the battles is that the ATB gauge takes too long to refill.

Jump to Post

02.13.2014 9:47pm
Thread Creator

Zubis
Registered Member

Enkidoh said:

The story is rubbish though (is it just me, or has the whole FFXIII mythos, which was never a work of art to begin with,.

Somewhat relevant thread: https://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=768575

Any truth in this?

Preface: Every Final Fantasy game has an underlying crystal mythos in addition to mechanics and enemy archetypes which form the defining elements of the series. Each game wove it's own story around the crystals and what they meant for the world. In 2004, 17 years since the series inception and 11 mainline titles launched, Kazushige Nojima began working on a new crystal mythos. It took him approximately a year to complete, whilst taking input from Tetsuya Nomura and Hajime Tabata who were collectively planning and laying the groundwork for their collective next project. Additional input and watchers includes Shinji Hashimoto, Yoshinori Kitase, and Motomu Toriyama. Overall it was almost entirely Nojima who penned the mythos while giving consideration to the FF series at large and how it could used for his upcoming project.

Fabula Nova Crystallis: The mythos was designed to primarily be an internal design compendium from which individual directors could interpret and appropriate freely. This is not too different from how previous games approached the mythos, but FNC sought to provide a lore of much greater complexity which could be drawn on to convey the relations between the crystals and the world. Square remained tight lipped over FNC's details, and sought to take down leaks from closed door presentations. It wasn't until 2011 that a further insight into the basics of the mythos were presented. A full book of the mythos exists as written by Nojima, and spends most of it's time sealed away in some cabinet, only periodically referenced.

So FNC will be (at some level) in all future FF games? That's terrifying.

Jump to Post

02.14.2014 12:30am

SuperSquall
Shortening His Posts

^
That last bit is a pretty common game development thing.  Typically there is a design document which specifies the plan for everything and the context for everything, and it is often a behemoth of a document as well.  Typically they aren't locked away though.

I am also willing to give Nojima the benefit of the doubt and believe that Toriyama, who may be the most terrible human alive, just effed everything up.  You know, because everything he touches turns to garbage, and Nojima has done some good work in the past (unlike Toriyama, who has never done anything good at any point of his life).

Just started last night and played for about an hour.  Based on what people are saying I may switch to easy mode.  I'm not interested in this game giving me trouble - it is already skating on thin ice.  I kind of agree that ATB meters fill up slowly but I think the idea is that you just switch them out and let them do the real recharging when you aren't using them.  I also wish Lightning moved faster in combat - she can jump around when I use magic but just can't seem to move properly.  It is kind of weird.

Also: The opening could not have made less sense.  That said: I heard a few lines that were delivered well.  That is more than I could say for all of FFXIII.  Also 2: I feel like reviews of this game can't be trusted anywhere.  Game Spot's is certainly crap.  A 5, Kevin van Ord?  Really? And you are complaining about Lightning being a flat character, but you thought the original was an 8.5 and was the most beautiful game in the series but would 'touch [our] hearts?', and then a 7.5 for XIII-2?  Screw that guy.  We all know the 10/10 ratings are wrong, but there is NO way this game has less likeable characters than FFXIII.  I was sympathetic to Lightning when she delivered a line in this game.  TWICE.  That literally never happened once with anyone in the XIII.  Not once.

Jump to Post

02.14.2014 2:21am

Sanna
What a Tedious fight!

Well, I  just played the demo. It only took 5 minutes...

I can see the ATB becoming a problem. I just kept switching the "costumes" out over and over again. It was kinda fun, though. It's basically the dress-sphere system all over again (the only part I really liked about X-2). 

There really wasn't much to this demo at all. I would rent this from Red Box or something. Definitely not pay full price for it.

Jump to Post

02.14.2014 4:04am

Old Juan
filled with hate

Just started last night and played for about an hour.  Based on what people are saying I may switch to easy mode.  I'm not interested in this game giving me trouble - it is already skating on thin ice.  I kind of agree that ATB meters fill up slowly but I think the idea is that you just switch them out and let them do the real recharging when you aren't using them.  I also wish Lightning moved faster in combat - she can jump around when I use magic but just can't seem to move properly.  It is kind of weird.

Yeah, the idea is to switch them out but even when you do that, they often fill slowly enough that you end up being vunerable to the ememies and can't do jack shit.

Given how vital blocking is in this game(at least on normal)they should have had that as it's own separate function outside of having to assign a slot to it in any given schemata. You pretty much have to waste a slot and assign the guard in each one, at least in the begining. The limited free movement that there is in battle doesn't add anything. You can't use it to evade and frankly I haven't found the targeting of specific enemy appendages to work well on the whole, it's almost luck given that the enemies are constantly moving even as you are trying to set up an angle of attack.

The games mechanics are problematic in that enemy difficulty coupled with the fact you level up Lightning by doing sidequests instead of battles pretty much discourages combat. The catch 22 here is that your on the clock and the only way to slow it down is by collecting EP which is only obtained through fighting mobs. Had they balanced the difficulty a bit better this IMO opinion would have been a welcome change of pace from the other titles in the series and even RPG's in general but as it stands, it's really a pain in ass and I think will cause a lot of people to quit in frustration before the game even really opens wide.

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 16 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter