Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Final Fantasy Series

Why Lightning Returns was delayed by 6 months.

< Prev 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 Next >

02.16.2014 5:58pm
 (Edited on 02.16.2014 at 6:55pm)

Old Juan
filled with hate

Zubis said:

After playing it for a few hours I have mixed feelings on it.

Graphically the art direction is genuinely good, but at some points it's got PS2 era textures.
Storyline wise it's an epic train wreck. There are so many references to God etc that it reminds me of Xenogear's ham fisted approach to religion.
Gameplay is a mixed bag. I find it quite unforgiving, but the many outfits give you lots of opportunities to find something that works.
Music's pretty good. Voice acting has improved in some areas and gotten worse in others; Lightning's VA seems to have found her stride and actually managed to make me (somewhat) care about her. I can see Hope's VA rolling his eyes in reading the dialogue though.

I can't stand the timer, and what pisses me off a lot after coming from FF14 is that there is no icon to indicate the location of where you have to go for quests. Trying to find out a place on the map to farm items for a quest is so stupidly oldschool I'm amazed it came through playtesting.

Philosphical discussion of Lightning's continued "presence" in all our lives aside, I agree with pretty much everything here.

Oh yeah, didn't you know that the game makes you do that yourself now as far has having indication markers on where you are supposed to go when it comes to sidequests and shit. It's not like time is of the essence in this....oh wait.....FUCK!! This game feels like Square-Enix's hearty "fuck you" to all the gamers who were less then thrilled with the results of the first two games but went ahead and supported the XII franchise anyway.

You can't even warp anywhere(when that function finally opens up thats is)without having to pay the EP taxman. Which essentially renders it useless as you pretty much have to conserve your EP for either Chronostasis and Healing. This probably could have been mitagated if regular battles actually restored a decent amount of EP but outside the darkness concentrated areas, but they don't.

Square-Enix was also nice enough to fuck us over on the farming material aspect of the game as well by having monsters be able to go extinct. When you fight enough of a certain moster type you then find a pink version it somewhere. When you defeat that pink version then that moster type goes completely extinct and will no longer respawn for the duration of the rest of the game.

The combat doesn't really get any better until you can actually start upgrading your skills.

Basically this game was made to punish.

Jump to Post

02.16.2014 8:52pm

Lexx
I know how they work

That one guy at reddit really, really likes Lightning.

I'll admit that I haven't played any of the XIII games, and my impression of Lightning is based solely on how you all talk about her.  I'm curious though: which is more widespread, FFS' general view of her, or that reddit thread's?

Jump to Post

02.16.2014 10:00pm

shooter_mcgavin
Registered Member

Lexx said:

That one guy at reddit really, really likes Lightning.

I'll admit that I haven't played any of the XIII games, and my impression of Lightning is based solely on how you all talk about her.  I'm curious though: which is more widespread, FFS' general view of her, or that reddit thread's?

Gamespot and Gametrailers review was pretty savage on Lightning in their review of LR. Neogaf members generally dislikes her. 

Jump to Post

02.16.2014 11:52pm

Coolsetzer
Formerly Furysetzer

As far as the character goes, I really am not a fan. I thought that Serah was a better protagonist than her. Lightning goes from Soldier to knight to savior without so much as batting an eyelash. There are only so many roles you can put one character in without making them appear over extended. I think they pretty much idolized her to where the audience isn't even sympathetic anymore.

Jump to Post

02.17.2014 4:22pm
 (Edited on 02.17.2014 at 6:05pm)

Old Juan
filled with hate

Well somebody in Japan enjoyed the combat enough to completely master it. This video makes me sick. This uploader has other videos demostrating prowess at this game. From the looks of things, the game really holds out on giving you the real good shit until you do hard mode.

Jump to Post

02.23.2014 9:20pm
Thread Creator

Zubis
Registered Member

Old Juan said:

From the looks of things, the game really holds out on giving you the real good shit until you do hard mode.

That's true. Many items don't even drop in Normal mode, nevermind Easy mode.

So I restarted the game on Easy Mode and abused Chronostasis a lot, and I have mixed feelings on the game now.

It is true that the game becomes more fun after 20 hours or so. This is because of Chronostasis and the realisation that with it you have more than enough time to complete quests, so you can relax a bit more. That being said, playing through 20 hours of a bad game is unacceptable. The pacing of quests is so bad, you have no idea if you need to hit a quota per day or if you can do them all on one day and fast forward the other days.

The combat's still pretty tough, and I'm playing on Easy! I'm told that it takes 100 hours of farming items to be able to beat some of the optional bosses on Hard Mode. I'm too old for that shit anymore.

The storyline is a piece of shit beyond imagining. A lot of my friends don't play FF games because they think it's "dumb anime shit", and for once I agree. I mean, the final boss

Spoiler: Move your mouse over the container to reveal.
is killed by the current and former members of your parties forming beams of light with their bodies and flying through him at lightspeed.

This game is the End of Evangelion of Final Fantasy games. And the epilogue, what the hell?

So the new world created is actually Earth, and Lightning is chilling out in France or something?

At least that's the end of it now. If it weren't for FF14 giving the franchise a much needed boost, I think the series would have been killed by 13 and the sequels.

Jump to Post

02.23.2014 11:38pm

shadowphoenix
It all ends with beginnings...

Just started, my thoughts:

maybe it should have been delayed longer so it would make some fucking sense.

Jump to Post

02.24.2014 1:17am
Thread Creator

Zubis
Registered Member

Claim the Helter Skelter garb if you're just starting, should make half the game easier.

Jump to Post

02.24.2014 6:36am

Shadow
Comes and goes like the wind...

So far I've literally just put the disc in, installed the game and made it past the first cutscene. It could be because I did this all when the demo is out, but I'm just really hesitant to even get started...especially when I have Final Fantasy VI on my iPhone. Hopefully I'll get going soon enough (before FFX HD hits) and I can post my further impressions.

Jump to Post

02.24.2014 2:08pm

Atma Weapon
I Am Pure Energy

I don't see myself playing this game for a minute, much less paying real money for it.

Jump to Post

02.26.2014 4:34pm

shadowphoenix
It all ends with beginnings...

So I entered the codes to get the FFVII gear, but where does it appear in the game? I dont see it :(

Jump to Post

02.26.2014 5:11pm

Coolsetzer
Formerly Furysetzer

^If I'm right, it should be the same as 13-2. You have to install the content through the downloads portion of the title screen. If not, try doing it in game. There's something called benefits trader or something in the menu screen where you can do it. I got the original outfits from 13 & 13-2 that way.

I'm not sure how far I am to the end, but I'm on day 5. I've done the main quests for all the areas except for the Wildlands. Caius is just such a bastard with his heavy hits. I am enjoying the game, but I had more fun with 13-2. I'm stuck with the elemental outfits from the farm as my battle starter, then switch over to Paladin/ Red Mage to finish. Some parts of the game I find myself slogging through, like healing the chocobo and clearing out the desert dungeon, but other than that, the game isn't that bad. A lot less angsty drama than the original, and better areas than 13-2.

And holy hell, that strategy guide was expensive. Something like $60 for the hardcover with the map. And it was obviously from a beta version, because it's outdated. Some locations aren't there or switched around. Sloppy sloppy.

Jump to Post

02.26.2014 6:43pm

Enkidoh
Time Travelling White Mage

Yeah, Coolsetzer is right - it's in the main menu under 'Rewards Barter Shop' and 'Downloaded Content' - it will include the actual Cloud costume plus Buster Sword and SOLDIER bangle.

Now up to day 4, and I just wasted a day trying to find where to go for a stupid quest that ultimately didn't extend Yggdrasil. And I missed the time window for a stupid main story quest in Yusaan - that particuarly is annoying. So many quests are reliant on trying to be as fast as possible, but there are plenty of times you can't continue until a certain point in time (either due to time-released gates that only open at certain periods, or to speak to an npc who is only there at one particular time each day). It is frustrating as all hell and is hindering enjoyment in the game.

Still, I got the miqo'te dress which is fun - Lightning's embarrasement at the silly passwords that had to be spoken to the npcs as part of the quest was hilarious, as was Hope's amusement of the situation (not to mention his utterly wrong history lesson about Eorzea ;)). When equipped in battle, she actually makes comments that are thinly vieled references to FFXIV ("Wish I'd brought my bow!", "Let's make this an adventure," etc). . :p The FFXIV ARR victory fanfare from completing a dungeon also appears as well if Light is wearing the miqo'te dress when a battle is completed, which was a nice touch.

So yeah, the FFXIV references are fun, but the many issues with LR:XIII just make the whole thing a drag to play. Which is ironic considering XIII-2 was actually really fun to play - it's almost as if with XIII-2 they copied Chrono Trigger, for LR:FXIII they decided instead to rip-off Majora's Mask in the worst way possible. Ah well.

Jump to Post

02.26.2014 6:58pm

Coolsetzer
Formerly Furysetzer

The thing that irritates me the most is the continuity from 13-2. What the hell happened to New Cocoon? I get that the old one is now the Ark, but what happened to the other Huge Freaking Moon wasn't explained. They also didn't explain how Fang and Vanille got out. It's like, hey, let's just gloss over important backstory because we can't be bothered to explain it. Also, that part about
all the Yeuls being the source of the Chaos from the unseen realm is just ridiculous and stupid.

Jump to Post

02.26.2014 7:01pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

CS, "ridiculous and stupid" describes most of the plot of this series.

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter