Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Final Fantasy Series

Why Lightning Returns was delayed by 6 months.

< Prev 1 ... 13 14 15 16 Next >

02.26.2014 7:34pm

Old Juan
filled with hate

Here is review by Yahtzee.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/8828-Lightning-Returns-Final-Fantasy-XIII

Jump to Post

02.26.2014 7:34pm
 (Edited on 02.26.2014 at 7:43pm)

Enkidoh
Time Travelling White Mage

Coolsetzer said:

The thing that irritates me the most is the continuity from 13-2. What the hell happened to New Cocoon? I get that the old one is now the Ark, but what happened to the other Huge Freaking Moon wasn't explained. They also didn't explain how Fang and Vanille got out. It's like, hey, let's just gloss over important backstory because we can't be bothered to explain it. Also, that part about
Spoiler: Move your mouse over the container to reveal.
all the Yeuls being the source of the Chaos from the unseen realm is just ridiculous and stupid.

The old Cocoon collapsed at the end of XIII-2 (you can actually see the remains of the Crystal Pillar that supported it in the Wildlands) - the Ark is actually inside the new one (you can actually see it in the sky of Nova Chrysalia - it's that big ringed planet, although why it has a ring is never explained. Reading the Datalog apparently all of humanity had evacuated into it when the Chaos destroyed Gran Pulse and turned it into Nova Chrysalia, which is how humanity managed to survive - they ended up abandoning it when the Chaos started eating away at it's structure and ultimately forgot what it was, thinking it's just a moon. Considering thre view from inside it from the Ark it's surface just appears to be masses of scrap metal, that's probably a good thing.

But yeah, the whole story is utter rubbish. I'm sure Toriyama pulled the entire storyline out of his arse as I'm sure there are fanfics on Fanfiction.net written by 13 year old fangirls which are better than this tripe. Which is really saying something.

EDIT: just watched Yahtzee's review of it - LOL, 'Shitning' and 'Hope-on-a-rope', I gotta steal those lines. ;)

Jump to Post

02.26.2014 11:30pm

Thirdtwin
It's you guys' fault

Man sometimes I sit back and think "maybe if FF13 involved completely different people doing completely different things then maybe it would have been good and worth a series, and maybe the series itself would have been good."  I mean, really, how do you fuck up a decadent dystopia where humanity is dependent on inscrutable great clanking machine-gods who now and then entrap humans in a vicious struggle toward unknowable goals with risk of death and dissolution of self driving them on?  How do you do that?  But they DID that.  What the shit.

TT

Jump to Post

02.27.2014 2:58am

Crono
Crono can cross dimensions too!

You know, if you guys would stop buying these crappy games, maybe they'd make better games... maybe.  You already know what to expect and then it turns out to be just that.  The only way I'm even CONSIDERING playing this rusty looking turd is if someone gives me a copy.

Just sayin'. 

And this is coming from someone who actually liked XIII when it first came out.  Hell, I even bought XIII-2 when it was $20 and I didn't completely hate it... until the ending.  At this point I don't even trust XIV until I've heard some personal reviews.

Currently Playing: Dark Cloud 2: 3 hours.
Also Playing: CT, FF VI, Solatorobo, Secret of Mana, Halo 4.
Just Finished: Fable II: 7 hours.

Jump to Post

02.27.2014 6:13am

Areas
Formerly Kenshin

Crono said:

You know, if you guys would stop buying these crappy games, maybe they'd make better games... maybe.  You already know what to expect and then it turns out to be just that.  The only way I'm even CONSIDERING playing this rusty looking turd is if someone gives me a copy.

Just sayin'. 

And this is coming from someone who actually liked XIII when it first came out.  Hell, I even bought XIII-2 when it was $20 and I didn't completely hate it... until the ending.  At this point I don't even trust XIV until I've heard some personal reviews.

Check out the XIV thread.  We all like it.

Jump to Post

02.27.2014 12:33pm

Crono
Crono can cross dimensions too!

I meant XV, I just wasn't thinking last night I was raging so hard on XIII in my head. :D

Jump to Post

02.27.2014 5:20pm

Colinp42
Registered Member

Crono said:

Just sayin'. 

I kind of have to agree.  I mean I'm not going to tell people how to spend their money, but did you guys pay full price for this?  Do you just have tons of discretionary income?  I may buy it down the line, but not for more than $20 (and probably more like $10).

Jump to Post

02.27.2014 6:24pm

Old Juan
filled with hate

I didn't pay full price thankfully, which is why I got the game on release instead of waiting. For better or worse, I want to finish this series and be done with it.

If the overall reaction to the first game and subsequent sales drop offs from the first tile didn't deture this company from making not one but two sequels I really can't see any type of monetary boycott putting a stop to them making polarizing titles.

The problem is the most of the executives in charge of the japanese arm of the company are stubburn and refuse to acknowledge any fuck ups despite the lessening sales figures telling them otherwise.

Jump to Post

02.27.2014 8:40pm

shadowphoenix
It all ends with beginnings...

Enkidoh said:

Yeah, Coolsetzer is right - it's in the main menu under 'Rewards Barter Shop' and 'Downloaded Content' - it will include the actual Cloud costume plus Buster Sword and SOLDIER bangle.

Thanks, I found it. I feel like a god now with the Soldier and Summoner Garbs.

Jump to Post

02.28.2014 7:00pm

Thirdtwin
It's you guys' fault

I bought 13-2 for 20 and until the ending it was legit good.  I'm not touching 13-3 even with the Cloud costume. >_>;

Jump to Post

02.28.2014 7:43pm
Thread Creator

Zubis
Registered Member

Crono said:

You know, if you guys would stop buying these crappy games, maybe they'd make better games... maybe. 

Fair point, but to me Lightning Returns is like the end of a relationship when your partner storms out, and then asks you to help them move their stuff out the next day.

You either don't do it, in which case they hang around for ages bothering you, or you work your ass off to pack their things and send them on their way and get them out of your life. I liked 13-2 a lot, and that's what drove interest in LR for me.

With the exception of FF14, I think I'm done with FF for a long time.

Jump to Post

02.28.2014 9:13pm

Thirdtwin
It's you guys' fault

I'll just take spoilers at this point.  Like I just want to know what happened, mostly to non-Lightning characters.  I can't anymore with the playing.  And FF15 I'm not even going to pretend to have faith in.

Jump to Post

03.01.2014 1:16am

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

I haven't bought anything FF13 related since the original. I even gave my copy away to prevent somoene else from buying it. And I NEVER give games away, I have games I didn't like that I keep for collection purposes. but I couldn't live with the guilt and shame

Jump to Post

03.01.2014 5:41am

shooter_mcgavin
Registered Member

Zubis said:
With the exception of FF14, I think I'm done with FF for a long time.

Considering how long it takes to develope an FF game these days you will have to regardless :-P

Jump to Post

03.01.2014 10:07am
Thread Creator (Edited on 03.02.2014 at 1:37am)

Zubis
Registered Member

Thirdtwin said:

I'll just take spoilers at this point.  Like I just want to know what happened, mostly to non-Lightning characters.  I can't anymore with the playing.  And FF15 I'm not even going to pretend to have faith in.

If you really want to know, massive game spoilers below

Spoiler: Move your mouse over the container to reveal.

Serah - dead for the most of the game as seen in 13-2. Bhunivelze held her soul hostage until Lightning carried out his demand to save souls for the new world.  Turns out that Bhunivelze actually didn't hold her soul (he doesn't have power over souls), and Lightning protected Serah by stripping away part of her own soul and merging it with Serah's - that's how she ended up in the crystal at the end of 13-2.

Lightning - becomes the goddess of death and saves the world. She's reborn in the new world.

Lumina - she was the part of Lightning that was stripped away to protect Serah's soul. She's got all the childhood memories and emotions that Lightning buried away. At the end of the game she merges back with Lightning, giving Lightning her emotions back. Yes, Lightning's blandness is actually a plot point.

Snow - blames himself for Serah's death. Tries to kill himself by turning himself into a Cie'th and gets Lightning to kill him, but she brings him back as Serah will need him in the new world.

Hope - reverted to his young age and watches over Lightning in the Ark from 13-2. Turns out the Hope in the game is just a puppet controlled by Bhunivelze as a way to monitor Lightning's progress. He breaks free of Bhunivelze's control at the end of the game and helps Lightning defeat him.

Sazh - falls into a deep depression as his son Dajh lost his soul. Lightning eventually regains it back for Sazh and they help Lightning defeat Bhunivelze.

Vanille - wakes up a few years after Chaos fell over the world. She now has the power to gather souls. A religious organisation wants her to destroy the rampant souls that are in Chaos, as they're deemed not to survive in the new world by the Church. She's not aware of this for most of the game. Eventually learning the truth, she helps Lightning out at the end of the game.

Fang - she learnt early what the Church had planned with Vanille and works hard to stop it from happening.

Noel - blames Lightning for Yeul's death and tries to fight her to change the future. He fails and eventually teams up with her. His reward is to live with one of the Yeuls in the new world.

Yeul - is the cause of the rampant Chaos in the world. Turns out the thousands of Yeul souls wishing for new life merged with the Chaos and gave it purpose (to devour life). The Yeuls do not move to the new world and instead become a new Etro in order to give life in the new world. They send one Yeul away with Noel as both his reward and to fufil their desire to be free.

Caius - still Major Emo. Stays with the many Yeuls at the end of the game to manage the Chaos for eternity.

Basically, the new world is Earth, and they all get resurrected, seemingly in random locations on Earth. Lightning's free to find her friends in this world and live happily ever after.

In France. 

Seriously.

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 ... 13 14 15 16 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter