Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Community Discussion  >  General Discussion

2012 London Olympics

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Next >

07.29.2012 1:51pm

Sanna
What a Tedious fight!

Murasame said:

One of Australia's swimmers, who just qualified for 100m breastroke and is the defending champion got called "fat" a week before the olympics started. She's also one of the first women to go to four olympics in a row.

It just makes me so angry that it even came up when it's clear she's fighting fit, and a hell of a lot fitter than people thinner than her. And nobody has pointed out how ridiculously sexist it is?

Haven't seen the opening ceremony. Yet.

RE: Doctor Who: I've seen video of the noise, and a screen shot of what look like the Doctor and Rose in an innocuous spot.

As a former swimmer the fat comment makes me loooool. That's not fat people, that's what we call the V-back. And muscle. Lots and lots of muscle.  Looks like China is ahead as far as medals are concerned for swimming. 

Jump to Post

07.29.2012 7:27pm

Atma Weapon
I Am Pure Energy

Watching Brazilians play soccer is one of the highest pleasures of sports spectating. And I say this as someone who's not especially passionate about soccer.

Jump to Post

07.30.2012 5:25am

Rhaegar
World Warrior 21007

Allow me to take the time to say: FUCK NBC!!!!!! YOU SUCK AT COVERAGE!!!!!

Jump to Post

07.30.2012 5:41am

Testament
Shamshot

WTF Lochte?

Jump to Post

07.30.2012 7:18am

Megz
Capital M before egz

NZ women defeat Aussie women in opening hockey match 1 - 0. I was a happy man. YUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! We're in the pool of death and we start with an upset win. Most fantabulous.

Sugar. Short AND sweet.

Jump to Post

07.30.2012 8:11am

Mavilu
Yep, still gaming

Rhaegar said:

Indeed.

Jump to Post

07.30.2012 8:33am
 (Edited on 07.30.2012 at 11:57am)

shooter_mcgavin
Registered Member

Rhaegar said:

If unless NBC's coverage 20+ mins commercial coverage during the worst times in a match (ex Beach Volleyball ... Match Point), I'd take their coverage over mine any day.

So does this mean the reign of men's physical superiority is coming to an end?

Hong Kong (CNN) -- When Chinese teenager Ye Shiwen dives into the pool on Monday, all eyes will be firmly on the clock to see if she can repeat her world-beating -- Ryan Lochte-beating -- time in the last 50 meters.

The 16-year-old is due to swim the heat of the 200 meter individual medley after taking gold in the 400 meter event on Saturday.

It wasn't just the win that captured the world's attention, although she did clinch gold after beating American champion Elizabeth Beisel and smashing the world record in 4 minutes 28.43 seconds.

The clock also showed that in the last 50 meters Ye swam faster than U.S. swimmer Lochte who won gold in the men's 400-meter individual medley the same night.

Ye, who wasn't among the race's favorites, clocked in 28.93 seconds in her final 50 meters of the competition's last 100 meter, freestyle leg, while Lochte went 29.10 seconds in his final 50.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/30/world/asia/olympics-china-ye-shiwen-swimming/index.html?hpt=hp_c1

Jump to Post

07.30.2012 3:59pm

The Joker
Infernal Spawn of Evil

I guess I'm lucky that the Swedish Olympics coverage is handled by the state-funded SVT, which means zero commercial breaks. This unfortunately won't be the case in 2016 (a shitty commercial media company bought the rights), but at least I'll still have Eurosport as a backup.

Jump to Post

07.30.2012 5:39pm

Tristan
Just Giv'r

shooter_mcgavin said:

http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/30/world/asia/olympics-china-ye-shiwen-swimming/index.html?hpt=hp_c1

I don't know if someone should take it that far, even if it's the last leg of the race it's still just one leg right? Impressive but was the final time better? I didn't see that anywhere so I doubt it(?). Mind you swimming could be an event where the sexes could be close some day so it's interesting but it's a bit preemptive to look for parity IMO.

Jump to Post

07.30.2012 6:30pm
Thread Creator

Kellios
Yikes and away!

Rhaegar said:

Bolded and limed for fucking truth. It's fucking terrible. There's more talk than sports (nothing too... new, but still), the whole bullshit of online streaming only for cable subscribers, and the interviewing of the athletes after their competition. Especially in the case of the American swimming relay and the American women's gymnastics. You're going to interview them after they lose, during an emotional time? Fucking really? And ASK them how they feel? How the fuck do they think they feel? Do you want to be on camera after something like that? Jesus Christ guys, have some fucking tact.

Granted, for the gymnastics, the IOC rule of no more than two from each country is bullshit. That poor girl. Reigning world champion and she can't even get to the individual events. 

Jump to Post

07.30.2012 7:55pm

Lexx
Terran Angel

The Joker said:

I guess I'm lucky that the Swedish Olympics coverage is handled by the state-funded SVT, which means zero commercial breaks. This unfortunately won't be the case in 2016 (a shitty commercial media company bought the rights), but at least I'll still have Eurosport as a backup.

I'm jelly :(   My favorite part of the Opening Ceremony is the Parade of Nations, so of course NBC chose to cram in commercial breaks every four countries throughout the entire thing.  Then they'd "catch us up" by showing a couple seconds of each country that we "missed" entering.  I say "missed" because it wasn't live.  It was taped.  So NBC actively chose to skip ahead during what's arguably the whole damn point of the OC.

I mad.

Jump to Post

07.30.2012 11:11pm

Mavilu
Yep, still gaming

Kellios said:

Bolded and limed for fucking truth. It's fucking terrible. There's more talk than sports (nothing too... new, but still), the whole bullshit of online streaming only for cable subscribers, and the interviewing of the athletes after their competition. Especially in the case of the American swimming relay and the American women's gymnastics. You're going to interview them after they lose, during an emotional time? Fucking really? And ASK them how they feel? How the fuck do they think they feel? Do you want to be on camera after something like that? Jesus Christ guys, have some fucking tact.

Granted, for the gymnastics, the IOC rule of no more than two from each country is bullshit. That poor girl. Reigning world champion and she can't even get to the individual events.
Oh, poor kid, meanwhile they are interviewing the other girl that won, while they have on screen the one that lost inches away looking dejected and crying up a river. So inconsiderate.

Today they did a recap of sports that they didn't show (I suppose) and they told us that the male water polo game looked like it was going to be won by one team and the public was cheering on the other...and left it at that! we didn't learn who won and yesterday they showed the girls rowing races but they failed to announce how long they were; we only learned once the races ended, simply because we looked at what the final line had posted in it... seriously, they are not very good at this.

Jump to Post

07.31.2012 6:09am

Tristan
Just Giv'r

Huh, and here I thought American coverage would be better cuz ya know, numbers and more athletes and such. That's too bad.

There's always some stuff you just never see like fencing and hockey and apparently there's a sport called handball? You don't see the throwing events often either. Do they still have Steeplechase? I fucking loved steeplechase.

Jump to Post

07.31.2012 12:43pm

The Joker
Infernal Spawn of Evil

The men's and women's finals of 3000 meters steeplechase take place on August 5th and 6th respectively.

Jump to Post

07.31.2012 3:07pm

amaron
No answer, must be that deaf bitch.

Tristan said:

Huh, and here I thought American coverage would be better cuz ya know, numbers and more athletes and such. That's too bad.

There's always some stuff you just never see like fencing and hockey and apparently there's a sport called handball? You don't see the throwing events often either. Do they still have Steeplechase? I fucking loved steeplechase.

NBC has been broadcasting the Olympic games since forever... you'd think they'd know what to and not to do.

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter