Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Community Discussion  >  General Discussion

Fitness and Health

02.13.2013 11:14pm

Magicjewel
Dr. Fantabulous
Administrator

Mavilu said:

^ As soon as I get rid of my cold, I'll read this, right now it's going over my head, but I find it interesting!.
I did read the term glucagon, I'd swear that was the name of the emergency glucose the doctor told my husband to get... or maybe it was glucagen?.
Anyway, thanks for sharing this.

Yup, it's probably glucagon.  It's really common for diabetics to be prescribe an emergency glucagon kit in case their blood sugar gets too low (usually when they're fainting or incoherent -- if it's low but still functional it's probably better to try to eat some simple sugar quick).  Is your husband Type 1 or Type 2?  Bottomed-out blood sugar can sometimes be an issue with type 1 diabetics, particularly those that are active or don't eat regularly, even if you're on the pump.  If you're giving yourself insulin while consuming your blood glucose vigorously (say if you're working out and you need the energy, or you haven't eaten and you're trying really hard to maintain blood glucose levels), you can get a huge drop because the insulin tries to force you to store glucose while your body needs to release it to maintain an even blood glucose level.  I don't know how much of an issue it is for type 2 diabetics but I'm happy to try to find out if that's his issue.  If he's a type 2 diabetic on insulin, bottoming-out can be an issue too.

MJ: if I laid out all my diet steps, and the reasons why I thought they worked, would you be willing to tell me where I'm wrong?
I don't need confirmation that it will work because I've already done it, and it did. I'd just like to know that I understand the science behind the steps.

I am not a nutritionist or a personal trainer by any means, but I'm happy to try to give my input from an MD/PhD-to-be standpoint. 

"Well, your brain seems to work a little bit." -- Rune Walsh, Phantasy Star IV.

Jump to Post

02.14.2013 2:15am

Mavilu
Yep, still gaming

Thank you for your concern, hon!.
He is a newly diagnosed type 2, been like this for a few months only, but he has done enormous progress and within two months he was off the insulin, he is now only taking Metformin and his doctor is thinking about taking him off the Metformin too (especially because of the liver issues that it can create) and  tell him to just keep regulating himself by diet an exercise, he hasn't had a low or a high so far (knock on wood) and yes, the doctor told me to make him drink 4 oz of soda or give him a hard candy instead of the Glucagon if it becomes necessary.
I don't know if this will happen, but since he has gone from an XL to an amost M in clothing size in a few months, his doctor is even thinking that he might reverse the condition altogether.
I've been told by the diabetic nurse (didn't know they existed!) that the medical community wishes all their patients would be as well behaved as my husband, ha!.
Don't use your precious time finding out for me, they told me that if he keeps behaving so well, it's unlikely he'll ever need the glucagon, in fact, while it was mentioned, it wasn't even given to us in the initial kit (and what a big kit that is!).
But thank you so much, doctor!.

Jump to Post

02.23.2013 5:56pm

Plectrude
Preivously known as F1r18

The only exercise I do is walk due to a really bad shoulder issue, but I walk 12 kms a day on weekdays (commute to my job) ans 18kms a day on weekends. I walk at 6km/h. It keeps my weight healthy but from a muscular or cardio standpoint it is a waste of time since I'm not (yet) in my 70s .I could do stationary biking, but find it too boring.

Jump to Post

02.24.2013 2:41am

Shadow
Comes and goes like the wind...

I play hockey, and avoid greasy/fast food as much as I can.

Jump to Post

02.24.2013 5:08am

Zo
another blue ribbon

I've gone through cycles of this. I used to be quite heavy and very unfit AND a full-time smoker. Then I lost the full-time smoking and got into the gym, which resulted in me being about as big, just in a different composition. Then my gym buddies bailed on me and I got into running for my charity fundraising, which resulted in me going from doing nothing to running a half marathon in about two months. Unsurprisingly I lost about a stone doing this, and have kept up with the running (but only really sporadically).

Now... my life's a bit up in the air at the moment, but I'd love to rejoin a gym when I get back from Africa and I really need to sign up for another half- (or full?) marathon so I actually have some incentive to run again. I find that the only thing that gets me to actually do it is the potential humiliation of signing up for a race and not actually being able to finish. That, and the thought of a wasted entry fee.

Jump to Post

02.24.2013 7:27am

Mavilu
Yep, still gaming

I've been hopping on to my husband's cross-country machine on the last few days, the whole experience is me going "woah, woah!" while being *this* close from losing my balance and killing myself several times during the fifteen minutes I manage to do and my triceps and lats (the sides of my middle back, for those that don't know) are killing me, but I sense it'll be very beneficial.
You can't do anything other than watch TV or listen to music very loud, given that you are using your arms as well as your legs and the machine can be very loud, which I hate, nevertheless, I recommend it.

Jump to Post

03.05.2013 4:37pm

greendog
soy barba

I did use to go the gym nearly every week day (our uni gym was ridculously cheap) that was a few years and a few stone ago now though. Can't really afford a gym membership, so me and a few friends meet up twice a week pooling our resources and speding a few hours working out.

We mainly do boxing/MMA drills and its suprising how quickly you start feeling it in your arms and shoulders. It's pretty good cardio too. Personally i can't stand jogging, so instead i do sets of hill runs on uneven ground on a steep incline, it gets you going.

Mavilu, those cross trainers are deadly. I hate complete lack of control feeling you get.

Jump to Post

03.06.2013 12:18am

Fuuko Sakurada
Momoia =D

Been reading some posts about working out and not working out to lose weight ... I personally found that you can lose weight by cutting on your portions ( people eat so much nowadays because of the pre-made portions established by restaurants and whatnot ) and also by execising, but the weight lost by eating less is more prone to come back quicker because of the surrounding influences, so working out to lose weight is IMO the best option because the weight takes longer to come back as well, but maybe it's different for each person

BoA*

Best of Asia * since 2000

Jump to Post

03.08.2013 12:26am

Mavilu
Yep, still gaming

greendog said:

Mavilu, those cross trainers are deadly. I hate complete lack of control feeling you get.
You know, it's getting better, but I still get wobbly from time to time.
What's a killer is using the arms, even having activities where you use your arms a lot, is amazing how much weaker they are than legs.

Jump to Post

04.10.2013 5:40pm

Soul Hunter
Ambitious but rubbish
Administrator

I'm certainly not the most consistent person in the world when it comes to keeping fit.  It was easiest in my mid-20s when I went to the gym 3 times a week and played basketball as frequently - having friends who motivated me helped a lot.  It then became a struggle after I got married - not sure if this is a common trend but this is when my waistline began to grow uncontrollably.  The abs stayed relatively flat with gym visits that I sometimes manage to do 3 times a week in between fairly long periods of just once a week.  I thought it was beginning to look up again when I started boxing, but no.  Things went downhill starting 2 years ago.  Now I have a distinctive beer gut (that didn't come from guzzling beer excessively) and the heaviest body weight ever.

I'm trying to bounce back by taking up boxing again.  And I'm also trying to learn Wing Chun.  I need all the help and motivation I can get.

Jump to Post

04.11.2013 12:17am

Mavilu
Yep, still gaming

S.H., I now exercise not so much to look trim or fit, because I think that I do want those things, but not enough to do all that is required at this age to achieve such lofty goals, now, when I think I don't want to stop what I'm doing and go exercise, I think of the future, of being 60 and be able to walk with a straight back, go up flights of stairs without collapsing, have balance so I don't fall and if I fall not to break a hip, I think of a healthy heart and arteries that if I take care of them, they'll repay me by not giving me a stroke or a heart attack when I least expect it, I think of independence from walkers/oxygen tanks/wheelchairs/nursery homes. I watch blooper TV shows where all the hilarious middle-aged people (now our age!) do something dumb (because they are too old to do that!) and lose their balance, flail their arms helplessly and fall flat on their backs and have to be helped back up and I think "that won't be me, I won't be the joke because I'll keep the muscles and the balance and the strength". Cheesy and a bit depressing to think on those fitness terms, but true.

Jump to Post

04.11.2013 1:49am

maximus asinus
Registered Member

I am waiting for the day when I feel the effects of old age. I am 27 years old, and I feel the same as I did when I was a teenager. 

As for exercise, I spend about an hour and a half a day in the gym per day, alternating upper and lower muscle groups. On even days of the week I run 10km with a target time between 40 minutes. I play ice hockey during the winter, baseball during the spring, and basketball during the summer. I am the same as Mavilu in that I do not want to be an invalid when I am supposed to be enjoying my golden years.

Jump to Post

04.11.2013 2:02am

Kellios
Yikes and away!

Well, I'm down 16lbs since I first posted in this thread. Though lately's been rough =/ But, uh, yay progress!

How's everyone else doing with whatever goals they've set?

Jump to Post

04.11.2013 3:26am

Mavilu
Yep, still gaming

Maximus, 27 years old? pfff, you have a long way before you feel like you are aging, call me back in about 13 years. :)

Kellios, good job!.

I'm now up to 30 minutes in the sky machine, athough I quit using the arms, I use only the legs, but still... yay?

Jump to Post

04.11.2013 8:43pm

Crux
A mental Dentist's office

I've managed to gain 15 lbs. and my body definitely feels more muscular for it. Sadly, I haven't had a chance to get into it lately since the stomach flu and the wisdom teeth extraction, but I think I can restart by this weekend.

Jump to Post

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter