Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Community Discussion  >  General Discussion

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger:The Fitness & Health Thread

< Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 Next >

08.27.2013 3:01am

Zo
another blue ribbon

I like calorie counting. If I make sure I eat enough (by bulking up meals with veg, mostly) I can go to between 1500 and 1700 net calories a day without feeling hungry, tired, sluggish or light-headed.

Plus if I know how many calories are in something like (say) a steak, I can plan around it rather than mentally declare the day a lost cause and gorge on pizza.

Jump to Post

08.27.2013 7:24am

maximus asinus
Registered Member

Mavilu said:

Nah, I just wanted to see why is that I've maintained my weight for almost a year, but haven't lost any... after a day of tracking, I was reminded why: I eat too much fat! and not enough calories, it seems; what your calories are composed of is important and this illustates it perfectly.

If I could only stop eating nuts and butter (the culprits, a-ha!) I would loose those final 5 to 10 pounds, I just can't bring myself to do it. :(
I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I love not growing up on butter, salt, etc. Most people say it is harder giving up smoking than those few food types.

Nuts are good though, if you mean the unsalted variety. They are fatty but it is the good heart healthy fats. It is my snack food of choice. 

Jump to Post

08.27.2013 9:22am

Mavilu
Yep, still gaming

Yeah, I picked the butter habit with my husband and now I can't shake it off! as to nuts, yep, the unsalted, shelled kind even, if I can find it; walnuts, pecans, almonds, cashews, I love them all, they are my dessert of choice.

Jump to Post

08.28.2013 2:33am

Zo
another blue ribbon

Continuing the theme of fitness based social networks, this is my MyFitnessPal account if anyone else uses that. I'm seriously surprised at how little eating this many fewer calories than normal is affecting me. Ran 7k earlier today, didn't feel tired or listless at all. 

Re: fats - What I'm trying to do with these is eat less fat from processed sources ie. vegetable oil spreads, fast food, etc. Other fats (butter, animal/fish fat, nuts/seeds etc) are OK, in moderation, obviously. 

Jump to Post

08.29.2013 7:20pm
Thread Creator

kirbenvost
Give Life Back To Music

While I haven't done much on the gym front, I went for another 10k hike over the weekend.  It went well, except my knees are not handling it.  about 2/3 through the downhill was just killing me, and the last little stretch was really slow-going.  Part of it is probably an old injury I never got checked out, and the rest is probably just being unaccustomed to the exercise.  Considering getting a knee brace and trekking poles if I want to start doing this more seriously.

Jump to Post

08.29.2013 8:47pm

Colinp42
Registered Member

That sucks.  I'm lucky that I don't have any sort of injuries or anything like that to impede me.  I know people who would love to exercise but it's tough because of back issues.

Well, I didn't get the part I was going for (was down to me and another guy).  So now the real test comes - what will I do now?  I did my 8 minute abs this morning right after finding out, but I also ate my feelings a bit today.  Just never been good at keeping fit without a specific outside goal.

Jump to Post

08.30.2013 12:02am

Mavilu
Yep, still gaming

Kirb, you bike a lot?, do your knees hurt in the front, going up and down stairs, when you sit or stand for too long? it could be Patella Femoral Syndrome, get it checked because while nothing serious, is a pain to correct and if you leave it unchecked, eventually you can't even bike without your knees hurting.

As for me, it seems that I lost two pounds since I started keeping an eye on my fat intake... a few days ago? it doesn't seem right. Also, I've been battling this stupid sciatica pain, caused ironically by stretching on a fitness ball, when I was getting up it slipped, I contracted my lower back as to not fall and voila!.

Jump to Post

08.30.2013 3:47am
Thread Creator

kirbenvost
Give Life Back To Music

Yeah, usually in the front if I bike a LOT but the left one hurts on the side too after hiking.  A few years ago I was crouching to connect some cables to the back of our TV and I guess I got up too fast only using my legs and the left knee hurt like hell... limping for days, etc.  But I never got it checked out by a doctor, I just let it heal on its own, that was probaby a bigger mistake than I thought.

I was reading that this type of pain is pretty common for hikers though and there are techniques you can use to minimize it as well as taking some of the load/pressure off with braces and trekking poles.  It's mostly an issue when there's a lot of steep up and downhill sections, which are hopefully not always going to be the case.

Jump to Post

09.11.2013 2:29am

Mavilu
Yep, still gaming

Where are all my Fitocracy peeps? I don't see you there, tut-tut.

How are your efforts going, Kirb?.

Jump to Post

09.11.2013 11:38am

Som
Genitals are Funny

We have a long drive way. My exercise for the week was pulling holding onto the bin while i drove up to the house

Jump to Post

09.18.2013 2:49pm

Colinp42
Registered Member

Just a lil update - last night I was being measured for a costume and when the girl measured my bicep she said "nice. " 8-)

Jump to Post

09.24.2013 1:55am

Zo
another blue ribbon

Started running 10ks again! Happily there's been no sign of knee or foot pain like last time.

I'm still really slow though, shaving minutes off it but still running our local track in around 58 minutes. This time last year I ran the Swansea 10k in 53 though, so I know I've got a ways to go :P Anyone else got a time? 

Jump to Post

09.24.2013 2:20am

Crono
Crono can cross dimensions too!

I stopped doing 10ks back in college because I'm always happy with 3-4 miles and I already have a hard time keeping weight on with the "little" running I do anyways.  When my 5ks were in the 19:30 range I was doing 10ks in about... 45 flat?  It was rare I ever did them though. 

I've actually been pretty happy with my knee this summer.  It's been kind enough to let me run 2-3 times a week although it still aches for hours on end about every oher day (usually not from running).  I try to alternate running and elliptical though for my joint's sake. 

I had my first time doing 10 overhand pullups in a row last Thursday so I was pretty happy about that.  Not like I normally do them either, I got in a dick measuring contest (not literally) with my buddies, lol.  My elbows really hate overhands... and tricep dips for some reason.

Currently Playing: Dark Cloud 2: 3 hours.
Also Playing: CT, FF VI, Solatorobo, Secret of Mana, Halo 4.
Just Finished: Fable II: 7 hours.

Jump to Post

09.24.2013 2:40am

Zo
another blue ribbon

I'd love to get sub-50 for a 10k, but realistically I don't think it's going to happen any time soon. I've always fluctuated between 185-200lbs even at my fittest (ran the half marathon at 182). I'm too damn heavy for speed!

Jump to Post

09.24.2013 9:21pm

Magicjewel
Dr. Fantabulous
Administrator

Decided to start training to get back into marathon shape.

"Well, your brain seems to work a little bit." -- Rune Walsh, Phantasy Star IV.

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter