Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Community Discussion  >  General Discussion

International travel

02.07.2012 5:36am

Magicjewel
Dr. Fantabulous
Administrator

Zubis said:

It's become a pain in the ass to engage in international travel (cost, passports, visas, travel advisories, customs, etc) compared to travel with the US

That goes both ways by the way, entering the US isn't exactly a pleasant experience. I'm surprised people here haven't travelled much; I always thought we were a worldly bunch but there's frankly a lot of odd preconceptions in this thread.

I thought entering the US was a pain in the ass enough the three times I did it and I am a natural born citizen.  I can only imagine what it's like as a non-citizen.

"Well, your brain seems to work a little bit." -- Rune Walsh, Phantasy Star IV.

Jump to Post

02.07.2012 8:38am
 (Edited on 02.07.2012 at 8:44am)

Mavilu
Yep, still gaming

Oh, I was detained once, in Kennedy Airport; I was aked questions very rudely, my things were taken, that includes my wallet, I was put into a room with glass walls, so people arriving could see me in my shame, I was denied a phone call to my husband, I was denied an explanation of what was wrong and I was denied a trip to the bathroom (that made the guard that offered to take me to the bathroom call the INS woman that started it all a certain name that rhymes with itch); I was there for two hours before someone came to take me to an INS supervisor, he was pretty nice and explained that I didn't seem to have a return ticket (back then, argentinians could come here if we had a working passport and a return ticket within 90 days of arrival), well, you can imagine, how I explained that I wasn't about to come all the way here and try to pas through without one of the two things required of me, especially, since coming here ain't all that cheap and back then american airline companies absolutely refused to sell you an entry ticket without making you buy a returning one and losing it or getting it stolen...where, in the actual airplane? and it being attached to the booklet, booklet that I still had?.
Well, it turned out that this stupid INS woman failed to see my return ticket and instead of double checking, she instantly assumed I was this horrible criminal trying to entry the country (I don't look like a criminal, now, do I?) and started treating me like one.
They let me go, gave me my things and sent me on my way.

There's few people I really dislike in this world, that one INS lady? is one of them.

But since I started my papers to live here legally?, it has been nothing but pleasantries.

Jump to Post

02.07.2012 1:33pm
Thread Creator

Clowd Cole
Dangerous Zombie

Zubis said:

It's become a pain in the ass to engage in international travel (cost, passports, visas, travel advisories, customs, etc) compared to travel with the US

That goes both ways by the way, entering the US isn't exactly a pleasant experience. I'm surprised people here haven't travelled much; I always thought we were a worldly bunch but there's frankly a lot of odd preconceptions in this thread.

Travel when you're young and you can. It's not the same doing a package tour as a 45 year old with two kids in tow.

Oh, one recommendation? Keep your voice down. Americans have a reputation for being loud oversea. This is not a mark on your character merely an observation.

No its should be a mark on our character because Americans are loud overhere. We are have an air of intitlment in this country which I for one am getting sick and fucking tired of. And its not one Race in american is fucking american in general.

I myself am very quiet, probably from the years of emotinal beats I withstood in school. XD

Mavilu said:

Oh, I was detained once, in Kennedy Airport; I was aked questions very rudely, my things were taken, that includes my wallet, I was put into a room with glass walls, so people arriving could see me in my shame, I was denied a phone call to my husband, I was denied an explanation of what was wrong and I was denied a trip to the bathroom (that made the guard that offered to take me to the bathroom call the INS woman that started it all a certain name that rhymes with itch); I was there for two hours before someone came to take me to an INS supervisor, he was pretty nice and explained that I didn't seem to have a return ticket (back then, argentinians could come here if we had a working passport and a return ticket within 90 days of arrival), well, you can imagine, how I explained that I wasn't about to come all the way here and try to pas through without one of the two things required of me, especially, since coming here ain't all that cheap and back then american airline companies absolutely refused to sell you an entry ticket without making you buy a returning one and losing it or getting it stolen...where, in the actual airplane? and it being attached to the booklet, booklet that I still had?.
Well, it turned out that this stupid INS woman failed to see my return ticket and instead of double checking, she instantly assumed I was this horrible criminal trying to entry the country (I don't look like a criminal, now, do I?) and started treating me like one.
They let me go, gave me my things and sent me on my way.

There's few people I really dislike in this world, that one INS lady? is one of them.

But since I started my papers to live here legally?, it has been nothing but pleasantries.

I hope that doesnt happen with my friend cause the plan is one day to have her visit me here. D:

Buggle Up! Danger! Danger! (Genocide!) Death the Crisis! Dangerous Zombie!

Jump to Post

02.07.2012 5:51pm

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

Damn sorry Mavs, sorry to hear something like that happenend to you. I always worry I'll run into something like that.

Jump to Post

02.07.2012 6:41pm

Kal
yes

Like Spidey said, when you start traveling abroad, you won't want to stop. It is indeed somewhat like a real life RPG.
I'm lucky enough to have parents who made us travel from a very young age and I haven't stopped since.

The rule of thumb when visiting a foreign country is to be curious, open and respectful of other cultures : don't wear hotpants if you're in Kabul, don't say bread is pointless if you're in Paris and never, ever, cut your spaghetti if you're visiting southern Italy.
It might seem obvious, but some people -even if they're not annoying stereotypes in their homeland- become obnoxious clichés the moment they set foot in another country. These people come from any country.

Keep a low profile, don't be ignorant, talk to locals, try unknown food, get lost and experience the local culture. Take a couple days to do the mandatory touristy stuff and then get off the beaten tracks. Couchsurf if you can, it's the best way to meet locals.
Finland is a very safe country and pretty much everyone there, especially the younger generations, speaks nearly perfect english.
And remember, there's no point traveling halfway across the globe if you're going to have lunch at McDonald's every day. 

Oh and yeah, whatever you do, don't start an argument with airport security, it's never worth it.

Jump to Post

02.07.2012 11:33pm
Thread Creator

Clowd Cole
Dangerous Zombie

So should I carry any cash on me or just use credit for everything?

Jump to Post

02.07.2012 11:51pm

Magicjewel
Dr. Fantabulous
Administrator

Carry cash, credit cards charge foreign transaction fees.  Only use those in emergency scenarios where you don't have enough cash.

Jump to Post

02.08.2012 12:04am

Mavilu
Yep, still gaming

Clowd, nah, I suspect this one woman was a total idiot or was having a really bad day, or possibly both but in general, at least before 2001, they were nice.
But be aware that what the people at her country's american embassy think your friend will need to enter and what INS here requires might be different, so double check; the first time I came here, the people at my local embassy told me I needed a special affidavit that cost money and time and it turned out to be useless and even a bit suspicious looking to the INS guy that check my papers at the airport.

Spidey, yeah it was a bad moment, let's hope it never happens to you either!.

Jump to Post

02.08.2012 1:03am

Zubis
Registered Member

Cash; the bank charges would destroy you in a few days.  It depends on the duraiton of the trip though - if you're staying for a month you're not going to walk around with that much cash on you...

Don't forget the old rule of thumb - work out how much you think you'll spend while you're there, then double it. Finland's one of the most expensive countries in the EU unfortunately.

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/finland/practical-information/money-costs

Jump to Post

02.09.2012 3:07am

scnix
scnix.com

Here's a few things I've learned from travelling:

1. Always carry cash
  2. Always carry your passport 
  3. Always pre-plan your trip. (i.e. Day1 go here, Day2 go there) - Visit Tripadvisor.com, lonelyplanet.com, ask your friend, etc and plan your itinerary. 
  4. Always assume you wont have internet
  5. Always assume that your credit cards will be rejected (hence #1)
  6. Prepare to get REALLY tired. (Grab energy drinks and whatnot)
  7. Prepare to get food poisoning (so prepare some medication for it), not necessary food poisoning, maybe food that doesn't go well with your stomach, but prepare for it anyway.
  8. Have fun! :D

Jump to Post

02.09.2012 3:24pm

Blayze
Registered Member

What's with everyone giving precautions about upset stomachs? The only places I recall having any real aversion to the food in the last 15 years or so was on one trip to Turkey, and one trip to Morocco, and that was only around a day of making sure I was within sprinting disctance of the nearest toilet each time. And I usually try to eat the the most unusual dishes on the menu - I'm of the opinion that if I'm eating out, I want to try something I've never had before. Around 40 trips abroad, and only a couple of incidents of being off-colour - either I have some kind of iron stomach, or you're underestimating the standards of food hygiene in Europe-land. I certainly wouldn't head off on holiday expecting to be ill - if you are, I'd say you've just been pretty unlucky.

Jump to Post

02.09.2012 4:01pm

Kal
yes

The only time I was sick on a trip was in egypt when I forgot you're not supposed to drink tap water.
But yeah food hygiene standards are pretty strict here. 
The only thing I can think of that'd upset your stomach in Finland is lutefisk but that's just because it's disgusting.

Jump to Post

02.09.2012 6:27pm

Magicjewel
Dr. Fantabulous
Administrator

Essentially, your commensal gut flora get tend to get used to a certain diet, and they will often freak out when you do something completely different to them.  It could be drinking unpurified water, or it could be particular blend of spices (many spices are anti-microbial), or it could be the fat or vegetable content.  Lots of stuff can upset a stomach, and it's pretty common for something to happen like that abroad.  Most Americanized food is pretty bland.  

It doens't happen to everyone, but it can and often does happen.

Jump to Post

02.09.2012 7:36pm

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

I don't get an upset stomach, but I get somewhat constipated usually, and only use the toilet every 2 or 3 days or something. I never actually feel sick though. tmi? I tried to explain this cleanly but couldn't think of a better way

Jump to Post

02.09.2012 9:30pm

Magicjewel
Dr. Fantabulous
Administrator

I tend to use upset stomach as a catch all for "vomiting/nausea/diarrhea/constipation" so as not to fret the faint of heart ;-)

Jump to Post

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter