Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Community Discussion  >  General Discussion

International travel

02.09.2012 11:30pm

Mavilu
Yep, still gaming

Yep, in case those of you that don't get sick think those that do get sick do it out of weak stomachs; I never, ever get sick and I didn't get sick when I came here, nor when I went to the Philippines, when I had meals both in Korean and Japanese airports, but when I go back home, oh boy. I think it's Buenos Aires water.
Either way, it's best to be prepared at least knowing that you might need either stuff for your stomach or a bathroom nearby.

Jump to Post

02.10.2012 6:53am

Indiana Jerico
Sinfully Delicious v2
Administrator

Mavilu said:

Oh, I was detained once, in Kennedy Airport; I was aked questions very rudely, my things were taken, that includes my wallet, I was put into a room with glass walls, so people arriving could see me in my shame, I was denied a phone call to my husband, I was denied an explanation of what was wrong and I was denied a trip to the bathroom (that made the guard that offered to take me to the bathroom call the INS woman that started it all a certain name that rhymes with itch); I was there for two hours before someone came to take me to an INS supervisor, he was pretty nice and explained that I didn't seem to have a return ticket (back then, argentinians could come here if we had a working passport and a return ticket within 90 days of arrival), well, you can imagine, how I explained that I wasn't about to come all the way here and try to pas through without one of the two things required of me, especially, since coming here ain't all that cheap and back then american airline companies absolutely refused to sell you an entry ticket without making you buy a returning one and losing it or getting it stolen...where, in the actual airplane? and it being attached to the booklet, booklet that I still had?.
Well, it turned out that this stupid INS woman failed to see my return ticket and instead of double checking, she instantly assumed I was this horrible criminal trying to entry the country (I don't look like a criminal, now, do I?) and started treating me like one.
They let me go, gave me my things and sent me on my way.

There's few people I really dislike in this world, that one INS lady? is one of them.

But since I started my papers to live here legally?, it has been nothing but pleasantries.

Did the bitch apologize, Mavs? I fucking hate people like that. It's one of the reason why I've always fantasized about being a trillionaire and own massive stocks on every company on Earth. Just so I can have carte blanche on what to do with people like that.

===

"Plans? What plans? I'm making this up as I go!"

Jump to Post

02.10.2012 11:04pm

Mavilu
Yep, still gaming

Nah, I think they kept her away, I do hope she was yelled at, at the very least!

Jump to Post

02.14.2012 5:31am

Sei'taer
lost

Anyways, always surprises me a bit that travelling abroad is seen as as something out of the ordinary in America, probably one of the biggest differences between there and the UK, as I'd wager that the majority of people here travel abroad annually.

I don't see how a good 80% of americans could afford to travel abroad.  It took me a year and a half and 3 jobs to save up for the one I took, and I'm still paying on some of the debt I racked up.

Never had problems with the food, and I ate a different ethnicity almost every night.

Jump to Post

02.14.2012 10:02am

Megz
Capital M before egz

Murasame said:

Zubis said:

To be fair in Europe you've got at least 10 countries within 1000 miles travelling distance. In the U.S you've got what, Mexico Cuba and Canada as your closest neighbours?

You forget Australia, which is close to literally nothing. And yet international travel is a rite of passage for anyone in this country.

Try being in New Zealand.

Scary thing is, it's often cheaper to fly to Australia than it is to fly from one end of the country to the other. The distance difference is about 300%... The mind boggles.

Sugar. Short AND sweet.

Jump to Post

02.14.2012 10:10am
 (Edited on 02.14.2012 at 10:31am)

Kal
yes

I don't know how it is in America, but in Europe, between low-cost flight companies, extensive railway system and couchsurfing, you can pretty much travel for nothing.
Last summer, I spent 3 weeks island-hopping in Greece with my boyfriend and the one night we spent  in a very nice hotel overlooking the crater in Santorini was more expensive than all the other expenses combined (low-cost flight + camping makes for a very cheap trip). 
If you want to travel cheap here, you surely can. It's also simpler to travel internationnally, I mean for example here in france, you can get pretty much everywhere from Paris, and you're never more than 1h away from Paris by plane. If you want to travel to Europe when you live in, I don't know, Shelby, Montana, I understand it'd be quite a hassle and quite expensive, because you need to get to an international hub first and then fly across the country to catch a flight to Europe cheaper.

Wwoofing  ( if you don't mind slightly hippy stuff) is also a nice way to discover places you would never have seen as a tourist.

Jump to Post

02.23.2012 11:18pm

Mosey
Registered Member

I don't know Blayze, few people I know can afford to go away every year! It's certainly gotten easier in recent times, but it's still a bit of a luxury :)
Mav, I can't believe that you'd recieve that sort of treatment! I really hope she got a bit of training about treating people as though they're human, not cattle.

I'm going to the US next year, Vegas specifically. I've never set foot in the US before, anything I need to be aware of? I can just get in with my electronic passport right, or do they need blood and hair samples now in case I'm a terrorist?

Jump to Post

02.24.2012 1:06am
Thread Creator

Clowd Cole
Dangerous Zombie

Mosey you are such a terrorist.

Buggle Up! Danger! Danger! (Genocide!) Death the Crisis! Dangerous Zombie!

Jump to Post

02.25.2012 11:37pm

Mavilu
Yep, still gaming

Mosey going to Las Vegas, how fun!, I hope you enjoy it (and not lose too much money, haha!).
So Clowd, what news of your trip?.

Jump to Post

02.26.2012 12:40am
Thread Creator

Clowd Cole
Dangerous Zombie

Oh its not until next year. Im just trying to get everything I can sorted out as early as possible. XD

Jump to Post

02.27.2012 12:15am

Mavilu
Yep, still gaming

Hahaha, and here I was thinking you had possibly gone and come back already.

Jump to Post

04.05.2012 9:47pm

kirbenvost
Give Life Back To Music

Mosey said:

I'm going to the US next year, Vegas specifically. I've never set foot in the US before, anything I need to be aware of? I can just get in with my electronic passport right, or do they need blood and hair samples now in case I'm a terrorist?

Not that I'm an authority, but I'm pretty sure you just need your passport as a UK resident.  Don't let them intimidate you!  They will sternly and quickly ask you all sorts of questions to intentionally make you uncomfortable so you'd divulge your inentions if you were actually up to anything suspicious.  Since you're not, you have nothing to worry about, just answer truthfully and the ordeal will soon be over.  Make sure you know the name and address of the hotel you're staying at and the date you're returning too, they always want to know to make sure you're not trying to immigrate illegally. 

I haven't been to many places, but US border officers seem meaner than everyone else. :p

Jump to Post

04.08.2012 5:42am

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

They definitely are, at least from where I've been 

Jump to Post

04.08.2012 10:55am

Zubis
Registered Member

Just make sure you watch what you say on FB/Twitter Mosey.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/249052/twitter_terror_uk_pair_barred_from_united_states_over_jokey_tweet.html

Two UK tourists were arrested, detained for 12 hours and then sent home after U.S. Customs and Border Protection agents misinterpreted one traveler's tweets containing British vernacular and a ??Family Guy? reference as a terrorist threat.

Jump to Post

04.10.2012 7:44pm

Kaiser
aka Nick Walker/Disdain

Mosey said:

I don't know Blayze, few people I know can afford to go away every year! It's certainly gotten easier in recent times, but it's still a bit of a luxury :)
Mav, I can't believe that you'd recieve that sort of treatment! I really hope she got a bit of training about treating people as though they're human, not cattle.

I went to the US for the first time in Feb, the only thing you need other than UK passport is to comlpete the ESTA registration. Basically, it means as a UK citizen you don't need a visa to enter the US. 

Costs about 10 quid and takes about 10m to fill in at https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/ 

Hope that helps :)

Jump to Post

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter