Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Community Discussion  >  General Discussion

Job/Career

< Prev 1 2 3 ... 5 Next >

08.10.2012 1:38am
Thread Creator

Raphael
Eternal Lurker

There seemed to be more than a few posts in the Hate thread of people complaining about their job, so I came to thinking, what exactly is it you do for a living?

I'm guessing most of us finished school or are about to. If you could go back, would you do it differently? Do you like/hate your job? Do you have other career ambitions?

Anyway, you get the point. Discuss.

I myself changed major a few times (Civil Engineering to Architecture to Surveying) and ended up a construction surveyor. Even though I didn't complete my other degrees, they still give me quite an advantage and allow me to work 12 months a year, whereas most construction workers (around here) would be lucky to work 8 or 9 months. I usually work in remote location, anywhere from 60 to 91 hours per week, usually at least 21 days in a row (sometimes 40+) followed by a 7-days vacation. The pay is impossibly great (think 2000$ to 5000+$/week) and include anything I could dream of, like probably the best insurance and retirement plan there is around here.

I love my job, but I don't know I long I'll be able to do it. You can probably guess that working that many hours leaves you with very little free time, so for the time being having a girlfriend or owning a home or anything, really, are simply out of the picture. When I look at my brother who works for barely more than minimum wage, but has a wife and a kid and still manages to put some money aside, I can't help but feel a little envious.

I often/always work with civil engineers and civil engineering interns, so I kinda regret not completing that degree. Who knows, maybe I'll go back some day. Overall, though, I'm very happy and satisfied with where I'm at, professionnally.

Jump to Post

08.10.2012 1:48am

Magicjewel
Dr. Fantabulous
Administrator

I have a PhD and I'm currently working on my MD.  I love what I do, and I'm really lucky for that, but the school path in order to get there is long and frustrating with unnecessary annoyance.

Overall though, I am really glad I'm doing what I'm doing.  I just need to remember to stay balanced in my life.

"Well, your brain seems to work a little bit." -- Rune Walsh, Phantasy Star IV.

Jump to Post

08.10.2012 2:00am
 (Edited on 08.10.2012 at 2:07am)

kjonez
with a Z

I work as a production manager at a local access TV station and I love it! It's not on a PBS scale but bigger than other stations because we service many towns. 

After I dropped out of college, because I was a rebel and it wasn't for me, I worked manufactuing and construction jobs for many years. After being sidelined with an infection in chest for several months I caught up on a lot of older TV shows I loved as a kid. One in particular was MST3k, which I immediately fell in love with again. A particular episode was a beind the scenes show and it had me awestruck as to how much fun those guys had making a TV show. That was thier job...and that was my inspiration. Five years later I wake up and go have fun, also called work, and I consider myself incredibly lucky to do so.

It has allowed me to do things like this and get paid for it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlG0RH_PDEw

Jump to Post

08.10.2012 2:05am

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

I'm the team leader and supervisor for the Current Periodicals department of the Bizzell Memorial Library at University of Oklahoma, primarily responsible for the care and upkeep of new journals and newspapers, scheduling our student employees, and handling laptop maintenance with the library's Systems department.

Jump to Post

08.10.2012 2:28am

tharpy
Electric Duck

I'm an airport manager of a general aviation (no commercial service --- United, Delta, Southwest etc) airport .  I am responsible for budgets, maintenance programs, project management, construction management and probably several other things that aren't easily categorized. 

I have BS Degrees in Aviation Management and Business Management  and a Private Pilot license.  

My job consists mostly of paperwork shuffling and politics, but occasionally I get some perks like random airplane rides is awesome planes.  It has its good times and bad.  But overall I love my job. 

Jump to Post

08.10.2012 3:36am

Amer
pew pew pew

I have a BS in Computer Science and am 6 years into my career. 

I was promoted about half a year ago to a Lead Engineer position and I'm in charge of a team of 4, including myself, that oversees the "legacy" software system for my company that the majority of our customers still use while the rest of the software engineering department works on the new version of the software. Besides going to meetings and managing what my team does, I also still code and take on projects. 

I love where I work and I love the people I work with. The pay is probably considered below industry standard, but we are a small (but growing) software company in the midwest and my pay has nearly doubled from the day I started so I can't complain and feel very fortunate. Plus we have incredible benefits. 

Sometimes I'm surprised at where I'm at. I didn't really start programming until college and I feel like my technical knoweldge is far below other developers. Eventually I'm hoping to get out of coding and more into a management role. When I became a lead, I wasn't quite expecting to be making such big decisions so fast. Other teams control relativly small areas of the system, whereas my team covers an entire system. It's crazy and for a while was trial by fire, but I'm lucky to have some very experienced developers on my team. 

Jump to Post

08.10.2012 4:39am

Crusader
Not Even My Dad Hit Me

I'm a screenwriting.  I'm screenwriting right now.  Too bad it's not for money.

As for my actual job, uh...I'm working on that.  Hire me plox?

Right now I'm trying to build up a sample of screenplays that I can fling at agents, who will obviously love them and give me jobs and money and hookers and blow.  Then I contemplate going out to Los Angeles.

I have a BS in Political Science and an MFA in Screenwriting pending completion of my thesis script (page 59 and still going.  ffff-)

I like it.  I wish I could get a job doing it.

Jump to Post

08.10.2012 5:08am

CaButler
Winter Knight of the Unseelie Court

I currently work for a wireless carrier (who will remain nameless for not wanting to get fired reasons) as a tier two technical level support for business customers.  Basically, I talk to there help desks and deal more with the technical side of the network.

On the side, writing, though I haven't written anything in a while because I lost inspiration for it, but it's slowly coming back.  I just need to find a way to get the thoughts out of my head and onto paper.  Quick!  Get me one of those thought sucking machiens, post haste!

Jump to Post

08.10.2012 5:10am

Dh
Not in the face!
The Alpha and the Omega

I make shit.

I made this for you!

Jump to Post

08.10.2012 5:21am

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

I"m a an Aircraft Structural Analysis Engineer at Boeing.  Love every second of it. 

Jump to Post

08.10.2012 5:26am

Jaran
I'm going to try SCIENCE!

I'm a lab technician at a radiation research institute attached to Walter Reed while I go for my Masters in Biodefense (which I'll have at the end of december). It's ok for now, I mainly like it because science is awesome, and there's a lot of downtime that lets me get work done for school, and my bosses have been really supportive of me going to school, and as long as I'm putting in 80 hours every two weeks and my bosses are ok with it I can come and go as I please (typically 10-6:30). As for future career ambitions, I'm hoping to end up as a policy analyst, but I'm conflicted about starting the job search before I finish my degree since I'm terrified of simultaneously starting in a new position and working on my masters thesis.

Jump to Post

08.10.2012 5:28am
 (Edited on 08.13.2012 at 6:35pm)

Testament
Shamshot

Nets and video over IP support for a rural telco. It's such rewarding work...

No degree of any kind, unfortunately. Never had the motivation. Hopefully, I can steer my daughter down the right path. Not necessarily in regards to education, but just to end up doing something she loves.

Jump to Post

08.10.2012 7:23am

Fuuko Sakurada
Momoia =D

Been working as an interviewer in a call center for a bank for more than 6 years now ...I love it, but I hate talking to retarded people, which happens all the time, unfortunately xP

However, I'm also schoolin' to get a bachelor's in English so that I could become an English teacher or something in that area ...was supposed to finish school a while ago, but I had some family problems and had to move 3 times

BoA*

Best of Asia * since 2000

Jump to Post

08.10.2012 7:27am

Kellios
Yikes and away!

I'm a 3D lighting artist for Sledgehammer Games, which is part of Activision. I've been really lucky enough to have snagged a solid job with very good pay at a staff position with some amazingly talented people. Never thought I'd be part of first person shooters, but here we are. But still, I feel incredibly fortunate for living the dream and doing far better career-wise than even I thought I'd be at this point in my life.

My ultimate dream fantasy would be running my own animation studio, ala Pixar. I want to be the next John Lasseter. 

I graduated with a BFA in 2009. As much fun as school was, I'm not going back unless someone pays the entire ride. Luckily, my field doesn't require imore schooling.

Jump to Post

08.10.2012 8:00am

Mavilu
Yep, still gaming

Very accomplished people *thumbs up*

I studied a couple of things, but didn't finish anything, I've done a variety of jobs, from painting tree posts for my municipality and ironing clothes at a laundromat to being a secretary for an insurance company and a cashier in a hotel restaurant in my youth.
Now a days, I don't work, but if I could get the dream job it would either be making bread to sell in my own little bakery or being commisioned to carve wood.
I don't care for schedules that are too rigid, formal attire or bosses, to tell the truth; I'm that kind of worker: the free spirited one!.

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 2 3 ... 5 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter