Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Community Discussion  >  General Discussion

Stop Online Piracy Act.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 ... 14 Next >

11.26.2011 1:19am
Thread Creator

Id82
Fuck Shit Stack.

Could we for once in the history of america finally see partisan cooperation in opposition to a bill that the majority of Americans don't want?

Jump to Post

11.26.2011 5:06pm

Demon
Registered Member

Id82 said:

Could we for once in the history of america finally see partisan cooperation in opposition to a bill that the majority of Americans don't want?

No, that would be CRAZY TALK! [/sarc]

Jump to Post

11.28.2011 5:53pm

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

Zo said:

Crono said:

The Smurfs movie made 500 million bucks this year.  In a world where the economy is drowning, and this type of shit happens... I just can't help but think the movie industry needs to go to shit anyways.  In an ironic twist to my point, I've never pirated a movie; strictly games and software.
Piracy doesn't harm stuff like the Smurfs movie. Piracy harms all the movies they didn't make because it'd be more profitable for them to make a Smurfs movie (non-offensive, nostalgia, remake, kid's movie). Piracy is the reason for the Smurfs movie, and for Transformers, and for Jack and fucking Jill. If piracy didn't happen then studios would have more money to take risks on better (but less popular) films, and then maybe people besides Sundance and Cannes audiences would be able to see an indie film.

If the Smurfs made 500 million and was low risk and low budget, why can't they use all that extra money they made to fund risky projects? They can easily spend 30 million on that and make a "risky" movie like a Scott Pilgrim type. If it bombs just make Smurfs 2 and make quintiple the amount back instantly, since Smurfs is so low risk and not hurt by piracy. While Piracy does hurt I think it'a just an excuse for executives just wanting as much money as possible,  I doubt you'd see that many more 'risky' projects in a world without a piracy. Companies would just be used to making that much more money and set the bar higher.

Jump to Post

11.29.2011 12:14am

Zo
another blue ribbon

Scott Pilgrim is kind of a bad example, because there's more than one reason that Scott Pilgrim bombed (incredibly niche source material, "geek culture" alienating mainstream, Michael Cera) but aside from that, the target audience for Scott Pilgrim is also the exact demographic that's best positioned to pirate the movie (geeky 20somethings) which probably didn't help. 

But besides that, there's only so many times they can make "risky" (read: unprofitable) movies. A studio generally has two choices of "good" movie - those that make money (Transformers, Smurfs) and those that add prestige (Oscar bait). A movie like Scott Pilgrim is awesome every now and again, but every time a movie like that does poorly it just disincentivises the studio from making another. Put it this way: If you were always going to lose 30% of potential profit from any film to piracy, and movies like Scott Pilgrim weren't even making their budget to begin with, why would you ever bother?

Jump to Post

11.29.2011 8:58pm
 (Edited on 11.29.2011 at 9:04pm)

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

Everything you said is true, but it doesn't support the claim that piracy is what prevents studios from taking risks. Whlie piracy does hurt, they wouldn't be taking risks anyway. Movies like Scott Pilgrim weren't being made before the internet either, that's why I use it as an example. If anything the internet age of piracy produced a big budget film like Scott Pilgrim, where pre 1995, there were no movies about video games with any sort of budget.    Clearly piracy isn't the dealbreaker when it comes to studios deciding whether to make a risky film. There's been shit like Smurfs coming out and shit like Scott PIlgrim not coming out since before I was born. There hasn't been any trend that has linked increasing piracy with decreasing studio-innovation/risk taking.

I"m satisfied with your answer on my other question though.

Jump to Post

11.29.2011 9:53pm

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

I call bullshit on piracy making the studios make safe movies. That crap's been going on for decades, well before the almighty VCR and personal camcorders were predicted to have doomed the entire movie industry. Hollywood has always been notorious for making the safest movies possible. Just that no one remembers them because they also suck. The good movies shine through the garbage and also last the test of time.

There's also so many more revenue streams for movies these days, even risky projects, that you can afford to have a bad box office showing if you have people wanting to buy the DVD. Scott Pilgrim recouped its losses in the box office by doing extremely well in DVD/Blu-Ray/Digital Download sales, for example.

Jump to Post

11.29.2011 10:47pm

CaButler
Winter Knight of the Unseelie Court

My impression is, like the RIAA, the MPAA and it's associates don't like change and wish to squash it before it gets too out of hand.  Too bad history will likely repeat itself here.

Jump to Post

11.30.2011 1:04am

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

The RIAA and MPAA are scared of technology they can't completely control. So instead of adapting their business model to it, they try to fight legal battles to get it banned.

Jump to Post

11.30.2011 3:57am

tharpy
Electric Duck

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20111126/15435216901/hypocrites-congress-who-voted-against-net-neutrality-sopapipa.shtml

Jump to Post

11.30.2011 11:52am

Zo
another blue ribbon

Spidey said:

Everything you said is true, but it doesn't support the claim that piracy is what prevents studios from taking risks. Whlie piracy does hurt, they wouldn't be taking risks anyway. Movies like Scott Pilgrim weren't being made before the internet either, that's why I use it as an example. If anything the internet age of piracy produced a big budget film like Scott Pilgrim, where pre 1995, there were no movies about video games with any sort of budget.    Clearly piracy isn't the dealbreaker when it comes to studios deciding whether to make a risky film. There's been shit like Smurfs coming out and shit like Scott PIlgrim not coming out since before I was born. There hasn't been any trend that has linked increasing piracy with decreasing studio-innovation/risk taking.

I"m satisfied with your answer on my other question though.
That's a good point actually, maybe it is just an excuse. I don't think piracy helps in any case though, and I should think that movies like Smurfs are still pirated less than most thanks to being a kid's movie. I guess I'm just trying to justify the rising cost of cinema tickets to myself, since there's been a ton of movies that have passed me by because they're simply too expensive for me to justify going to see. What used to be £4-5 has shot up to £10-12, up to £15 or more for 3D movies (which is just another reason to hate 3D). It sucks because I do want to see these movies, and I want to support the film industry, but until the price is reasonable then piracy is always going to be the most attractive option.

This I feel is the major problem with organisations like the RIAA and MPAA - the attitude that consumers should feel privileged that we're permitted to pay large amounts of money for 2 hours of entertainment. The fight against piracy isn't working - what high-profile cases we've seen have all been demonising the RIAA/MPAA for hounding relative innocents with huge lawsuits for tiny infringements. The entertainment industry needs to take piracy seriously and start treating it as competition, because it's never going to beat it and is wasting time and money trying.

Jump to Post

11.30.2011 1:15pm

Demon
Registered Member

Zo said:
That's a good point actually, maybe it is just an excuse. I don't think piracy helps in any case though, and I should think that movies like Smurfs are still pirated less than most thanks to being a kid's movie. I guess I'm just trying to justify the rising cost of cinema tickets to myself, since there's been a ton of movies that have passed me by because they're simply too expensive for me to justify going to see. What used to be £4-5 has shot up to £10-12, up to £15 or more for 3D movies (which is just another reason to hate 3D). It sucks because I do want to see these movies, and I want to support the film industry, but until the price is reasonable then piracy is always going to be the most attractive option.

This I feel is the major problem with organisations like the RIAA and MPAA - the attitude that consumers should feel privileged that we're permitted to pay large amounts of money for 2 hours of entertainment. The fight against piracy isn't working - what high-profile cases we've seen have all been demonising the RIAA/MPAA for hounding relative innocents with huge lawsuits for tiny infringements. The entertainment industry needs to take piracy seriously and start treating it as competition, because it's never going to beat it and is wasting time and money trying.

I get that, but it is my firm belief that piracy is as much an "underserved consumer of media" problem, as it is an "I'm entitled to do whatever the fuck I like with your shit" problem, if not more so.

Jump to Post

12.02.2011 5:34am

SuperSquall
Shortening His Posts

Id82 said:

I hope so too.
Oh I was.  As far as I'm concerned the American government will declare itself obsolete, out of touch with reality, and at odds with the younger generations (and ultimately the chance for a better future)  if this passes.  The internet has the greatest potential for both freedom and democracy of all of the inventions in human history (IMO).  The only problem with actual freedom is that people do shit that rich people don't like.  But in my mind nations should be democratic first and capitalist second, so fuck SOPA.

Jump to Post

12.02.2011 6:31am

Rhaegar
World Warrior 21007

SuperSquall said:

As far as I'm concerned the American government will declare itself obsolete, out of touch with reality, and at odds with the younger generations (and ultimately the chance for a better future)  if this passes.
You mean it hasn't already?

Jump to Post

12.04.2011 11:33am

Demon
Registered Member

Rhaegar said:

SuperSquall said:

As far as I'm concerned the American government will declare itself obsolete, out of touch with reality, and at odds with the younger generations (and ultimately the chance for a better future)  if this passes.
You mean it hasn't already?

I think the US Government hasn't been in touch for over a hundred years, to be frank.

Jump to Post

12.12.2011 9:59pm

Rhaegar
World Warrior 21007

So yeah, two evil bitches who helped draft SOPA for their bosses in Congress just got hired by lobbyists for the entertainment industry. Obviously no conflict of interest there.

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 ... 14 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter