Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Community Discussion  >  General Discussion

Stop Online Piracy Act.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14 Next >

12.12.2011 11:51pm

Demon
Registered Member

Rhaegar said:

So yeah, two evil bitches who helped draft SOPA for their bosses in Congress just got hired by lobbyists for the entertainment industry. Obviously no conflict of interest there.

Of course not!  Laws are for peons!

Fucking traitors, selling out the liberty of others for personal gain.

Jump to Post

12.13.2011 2:32am

Ulterior
Registered Member

Saw a commercial in favor of SOPA at teh doctor's office today. Naturally they were taking the "foreign piracy sites are stealing American jobs" angle. 

I love you, everything burrito.

Jump to Post

12.13.2011 3:15pm

Demon
Registered Member

Ulterior said:

Saw a commercial in favor of SOPA at teh doctor's office today. Naturally they were taking the "foreign piracy sites are stealing American jobs" angle. 

When the truth is, "Hollywood accounting is stealing American jobs".  For example, Return of the Jedi is classed as a loss for royalty purposes, in spite of it beeing one of the highest-grossing films of all time.

Like their duplicitous claims that sales are licenses when it suits them, but actual sales when it doesn't (see Marshall Mathers III V UMG for more details).

Piracy is not the problem - poor business models are.

Jump to Post

12.13.2011 6:42pm

Lexx
Terran Angel

SOPA is expected to be passed out of the House Judiciary Committee on thursday.  They made some small changes to it that they'll herald as bipartisan changes, the Washington establishment will nod in approval, and it'll pass the House easily.

Considering Obama isn't likely to veto a bill that allows American citizens to be indefinitely detained without trial on American soil, I seriously doubt he's going to veto this one.

Jump to Post

12.13.2011 6:59pm

CaButler
Winter Knight of the Unseelie Court

I was under the impression that Obama threatened to veto both bills if they passed Congress.

Jump to Post

12.13.2011 8:21pm

Lexx
Terran Angel

He said he'd veto the defense bill if it wasn't changed.  It since has been, but the most egregious parts of it are intact.  People aren't sure if he'll still veto it or not.

As far as I know he's in support of SOPA.  I might be wrong on that, though.

Jump to Post

12.14.2011 2:17am

Ulterior
Registered Member

It's unconstitutional to the core. Even if it's ruled constitutional by the Supreme Court, you can tell that the bill's authors have no fucking clue how the internet actually works.

Jump to Post

12.14.2011 2:56am

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

Obama has a really good pro-net neutrality record, so I'd be really surprised if he didn't veto it.

Senator Wyden has also promised a fillibuster and SOPA might not even get out of the senate. There's even a number of Republicans against the thing.

Jump to Post

12.14.2011 7:35pm

OrionHardy
Otherworld

Onyx said:
Senator Wyden has also promised a fillibuster and SOPA might not even get out of the senate.

And you can help him with that, He said that he'd "fillbuster" by reading out peoples names from this petition until the clock runs out!

Great men aren't everywhere, just where it counts.

If you ever see me online playing Halo, join me please.

Jump to Post

12.14.2011 10:46pm

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

I would rather this bill pass then it be filibustered. If most of congress is for it then it should pass. There's probably nothing I am more against than the act of filibustering, which I'm appauled hasn't been made illegal yet. I wish I could fillibuster what I owe to the IRS too.

The thing is I know full well most of congress wouldn't be for this anyway, so that just gives more reason not to fillibuster it.

Jump to Post

12.15.2011 12:47am

Rhaegar
World Warrior 21007

Spidey said:

I would rather this bill pass then it be filibustered. If most of congress is for it then it should pass. There's probably nothing I am more against than the act of filibustering, which I'm appauled hasn't been made illegal yet. I wish I could fillibuster what I owe to the IRS too.
So you're for instituting an unprecented curtailing of Internet freedom just because you don't like an admittedly abused legislative procedure?

I'm sorry, but that's about the most ridiculous thing I've ever read.

Jump to Post

12.15.2011 3:42am

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

Yeah, fillibustering, which I'm not a fan of, is by far the lesser of the two evils here.

Jump to Post

12.15.2011 6:20am

Rhaegar
World Warrior 21007

So an 11th-hour manager's amendment basically adds a nice coat of polish on what is still, make no mistake, an absolute turd:

While the manager??s amendment makes the bill less extreme around the edges, it??s still a censorship bill, and it??s still the worst internet legislation in U.S. history. Here??s a look at some of the worst elements of it:

Allows the government and corporations to block access to full websites ?? The Attorney General or any U.S. copyright holder would be able to commence a takedown action against any website that they determine ??has only limited purpose other than? facilitating copyright infringement. Under current law, copyright holders are only allowed to go after infringing content; SOPA would allow them to target entire sites. Given that the democratizing, peer-to-peer nature of Web 2.0 basically comes along with the ability for people to post infringing content, the government??s takedown power could have serious free speech implications. Judicial oversight of takedowns would be minimal, with the government and copyright holders being able to deny website owners from defending themselves if they state that they could not locate them through due diligence.

Creates legal uncertainties and liabilities that will stifle start-ups ?? The power for large corporations to shut down websites over a single link posted by a user would pose a serious threat to U.S. internet innovation. If SOPA??s powers existed in 2005, it??s hard to imagine that Big Content companies would have had trouble finding a judge willing to order the site to be taken offline. Current law requires website owners to simply comply with takedown requests for specific infringing content. SOPA would require them to police their entire sites for infringement or risk legal attacks and take-down actions by competing interests. The threat of litigation makes it almost not worth trying new stuff on the open web.

Criminalizes ordinary web behavior ?? Any person who posts a video online that contains copyrighted content and is determined to have willfully infringed the copyright in doing so would face felony charges, including up to 5 years in jail. All you need is at least 10 views and a court to determine the economic value of the streaming to be at least $1,000, and you may be headed to jail for dancing along to your favorite soon on YouTube.

Breaks the internet at the ISP level ?? The manager??s amendment no longer calls for Domain Name System blocking (the same system that is used to censor the web in China) by name, but it still encourages it. The language in the manager??s amendment would call on internet service providers to use ??the least burdensome, technically feasible, and reasonable means designed to prevent access? to whatever websites the government tells them to. So, the ISPs get to pick their poison, but they are still required to block sites. In the words of Google CEO Eric Schmidt, the bill would ??criminalize linking and the fundamental structure of the Internet itself.?

Won??t stop piracy ?? Perhaps the most ridiculous thing about the bill is that none of this would actually stop piracy. People who are dedicated to accessing download sites can easily bypass the bill??s firewall by entering the IP address for the site into their browser.

Jump to Post

12.15.2011 9:58am

Demon
Registered Member

Rhaegar said:

So an 11th-hour manager's amendment basically adds a nice coat of polish on what is still, make no mistake, an absolute turd:

While the manager??s amendment makes the bill less extreme around the edges, it??s still a censorship bill, and it??s still the worst internet legislation in U.S. history. Here??s a look at some of the worst elements of it:

Allows the government and corporations to block access to full websites ?? The Attorney General or any U.S. copyright holder would be able to commence a takedown action against any website that they determine ??has only limited purpose other than? facilitating copyright infringement. Under current law, copyright holders are only allowed to go after infringing content; SOPA would allow them to target entire sites. Given that the democratizing, peer-to-peer nature of Web 2.0 basically comes along with the ability for people to post infringing content, the government??s takedown power could have serious free speech implications. Judicial oversight of takedowns would be minimal, with the government and copyright holders being able to deny website owners from defending themselves if they state that they could not locate them through due diligence.

Creates legal uncertainties and liabilities that will stifle start-ups ?? The power for large corporations to shut down websites over a single link posted by a user would pose a serious threat to U.S. internet innovation. If SOPA??s powers existed in 2005, it??s hard to imagine that Big Content companies would have had trouble finding a judge willing to order the site to be taken offline. Current law requires website owners to simply comply with takedown requests for specific infringing content. SOPA would require them to police their entire sites for infringement or risk legal attacks and take-down actions by competing interests. The threat of litigation makes it almost not worth trying new stuff on the open web.

Criminalizes ordinary web behavior ?? Any person who posts a video online that contains copyrighted content and is determined to have willfully infringed the copyright in doing so would face felony charges, including up to 5 years in jail. All you need is at least 10 views and a court to determine the economic value of the streaming to be at least $1,000, and you may be headed to jail for dancing along to your favorite soon on YouTube.

Breaks the internet at the ISP level ?? The manager??s amendment no longer calls for Domain Name System blocking (the same system that is used to censor the web in China) by name, but it still encourages it. The language in the manager??s amendment would call on internet service providers to use ??the least burdensome, technically feasible, and reasonable means designed to prevent access? to whatever websites the government tells them to. So, the ISPs get to pick their poison, but they are still required to block sites. In the words of Google CEO Eric Schmidt, the bill would ??criminalize linking and the fundamental structure of the Internet itself.?

Won??t stop piracy ?? Perhaps the most ridiculous thing about the bill is that none of this would actually stop piracy. People who are dedicated to accessing download sites can easily bypass the bill??s firewall by entering the IP address for the site into their browser.

Pretty much every entrepreneur of the last 10 years has signed an open letter decrying this...except Mark Zuckerberg, whose business model is basically "track people and sell that on."  Zuckerberg likes his money, and with SOPA, [color="ff00ff"]who needs innovation anyway?[/color]

It's a horrible legislative solution to what is essentially a business-model issue: take, fopr example Louis CK.  Recently, he did two performances, and filmed them...and put the video online for $5, which gets you two direct streams and three downloads.  Once you've downloaded it, however, you can do whatever the hell you like with it.

He made $200,000 pre-tax profit in four days, and it's been up on TPB the whole time.

As another example, there's the Humble Bundles.  Each one has essentially saved a developer company, due to the amounts raised.  And the lastest one has over £70 worth of games as a [i]start
.  They've made over $5m in less than 18 months.  AND they're all playable on Linux as a result.

Jump to Post

12.15.2011 12:13pm

Ulterior
Registered Member

Rhaegar said:

See? It's shit like this. None of the dinosaurs in Congress knows how the internet fucking works at all. They draft a bill that literally adresses nothing about the problem they want to correct, and wontonly destroys the new economy that's sprung up in the last seven years. Bravo. 

Is there some sort of mass recall available to us? I want every one of these corporate whores out of office immediately.

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter