Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Community Discussion  >  General Discussion

The Final Fantasy Fansite that changed thousands

05.01.2013 6:00pm

kirbenvost
Give Life Back To Music

CaButler said:

FFO: We're run by power hungry dictators.

Used to be run by power hungry dictators. Then the RainWang mellowed out. Switched the imported tobacco in his pipe for some grade-A kush or something.

Rain said:

Most of us.

Orrrr not...

Crono said:

I kind of miss the iron fist days. Some pretty funny shit went down then. Nobody's rights ever get affected anymore. :( haha

lol U R!  Yeah, good times.

Jump to Post

05.04.2013 9:36pm

Dh
Not in the face!
The Alpha and the Omega

"I actually came over from the originator of these Final Fantasy websites, which was Final Fantasy Online," Moore says over Skype. "People from there ended up spawning Final Fantasy Worlds Apart. FF Online had a reputation, in those days, for being very strict...FFWA did not exactly have a whole lot of rules back then. It was run by mostly 14 to 18 year olds, and it was created as sort of a reaction to the harshness of FF Online."

Were we really that bad? I guess I should've paid more attention to the community back in the day. I think during FFO's run I banned ten people, if that.

The community surpassed Final Fantasy Online, which Robinson once thought of as the monolithic competition.

Sure. Sure it did.

Final Fantasy Online grew by a million posts and increased its member count from 4,400 to 6,400 members between 2005 and 2006. After that, its growth slowed to about 100,000 posts per year, and its last Archive.org capture still shows "Most users ever online was 726, 01-05-2006."

I don't know what this guy is talking about, but Final Fantasy Online didn't really "grow" at all after 2005. Our best years were between 1999 and 2004 where the site pulled millions of uniques per month, placing us above Square's official sites in search engine rankings. Likewise, we also wiped our forums quite a bit from previous hacks and crashes and in some of those instances, started from scratch. Other sites padded their statistics. We never did, nor ever needed to.

Although the subject of the article is EoFF and dating (which must've been a slow news day for whoever wrote the piece), I'm surprised that Kotaku gauged the popularity and strength of other communities only by how many active members were on the forum during a small, specific period of time and not through a broader scope, such as the actual traffic going to the site from the start. FFO wasn't at the top just because of the forums. Every Final Fantasy fan site in the universe had a forum. It was popular because we had insane amounts of content that still rival many popular Wikis of today.

FFO wasn't about dating or kids getting banned for posting stupid shit. FFO was about Final Fantasy. The birth of our community stemmed from that. Like it or not, the majority of Final Fantasy fan site communities afterwards stemmed from us.

I made this for you!

Jump to Post

05.04.2013 9:56pm

Scribe
The Taru

Everyone and their mother made a ff fan site.

Jump to Post

05.04.2013 11:05pm

amaron
No answer, must be that deaf bitch.

Dh said:

I don't know what this guy is talking about, but Final Fantasy Online didn't really "grow" at all after 2005. Our best years were between 1999 and 2004 where the site pulled millions of uniques per month, placing us above Square's official sites in search engine rankings. Likewise, we also wiped our forums quite a bit from previous hacks and crashes and in some of those instances, started from scratch. Other sites padded their statistics. We never did, nor ever needed to.

Although the subject of the article is EoFF and dating (which must've been a slow news day for whoever wrote the piece), I'm surprised that Kotaku gauged the popularity and strength of other communities only by how many active members were on the forum during a small, specific period of time and not through a broader scope, such as the actual traffic going to the site from the start. FFO wasn't at the top just because of the forums. Every Final Fantasy fan site in the universe had a forum. It was popular because we had insane amounts of content that still rival many popular Wikis of today.

FFO wasn't about dating or kids getting banned for posting stupid shit. FFO was about Final Fantasy. The birth of our community stemmed from that. Like it or not, the majority of Final Fantasy fan site communities afterwards stemmed from us.

Wasn't there a site that was LITERALLY a copy and paste of most of FFO?

Jump to Post

05.05.2013 12:02am

Dh
Not in the face!
The Alpha and the Omega

amaron said:

Wasn't there a site that was LITERALLY a copy and paste of most of FFO?

Oh yeah. There were several.

Jump to Post

05.05.2013 1:25am

Turhaya
The Batman

Yoshiyuki Ly said:

I've been around since the beginning, mostly lurking. It's nice to be able to remember all the in-jokes mentioned here. I wish I'd made the time to post more often on FFO and get to know more people.

I'll second that. Never did like those other FF sites very well.

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Jump to Post

05.05.2013 6:56am

Rain
hip hop what what
Administrator

Dh said:

The guy who wrote it is a long-time EoFF member. He's not a journalist so much as a guy doing in longer form what the rest of us are doing on the Facebooks and here: reminiscing and misremembering and saying "those were the days." I don't think he has any real conception of the history of FFO or how to measure traffic, impact, influence, etc. He's just trying, I think, to provide context--but doing a poor job of it in this case.

Jump to Post

05.05.2013 7:20am

Indiana Jerico
Sinfully Delicious v2
Administrator

Dh said:

Were we really that bad? I guess I should've paid more attention to the community back in the day. I think during FFO's run I banned ten people, if that.

Much as how I hate to make this comparison (because God knows I fucking hate NeoGAF's members), what the GAF mods are doing right now is basically what we were trying to achieve back then. I think most of the mods were just a bit too harsh then. But hey, we were the biggest FF fansite back then. I think there was no precedent with regards to modding a site that big, populated by people in their angsty hormonal years.

===

"Plans? What plans? I'm making this up as I go!"

Jump to Post

05.05.2013 7:31am

Iaian
Retainer

I think FFO only got its reputation for being strict among other sites' forums because of a few people crying foul that they couldn't do or say anything with no limitations over there. The rules were pretty simple at FFO back then. Behave like a decent person, don't run your mouth, and don't stir up trouble. If I had to guess, 99% of the members had no problems with this, 1% did because they proclaimed the loudest when an Admin or Mod had to step in and nip it in the bud fast so that it doesn't wreck the community's spirit. So yeah, vocal bias and all that. 

More to the point, I don't even know why someone ten years on looks back and still call FFO "strict". I'd have thought time had passed enough for them to mature so they could ask themselves "why did I think FFO was strict?" and then afterwards... "why am I even asking that question?"

Jump to Post

05.05.2013 8:46am

Peter
Lurker

I must admit that hearing that FFO was strict does surprise me a little. I can't say I payed much attention to what the mods were up to back in the days, but when Soul Hunter came and put a stop to all the spamming me and the others did in the fanfiction section he just closed the threads and gave us a slap on the wrist. I'd hardly call that "harsh" or "strict". Putting a stop to people spamming and doing whatever they want would be nothing more than common sense.

Hell, I'd have banned myself had I been a mod back in the day. Looking back at all the things we did I'd say we were rather lucky to get off as easy as we did.

This is not the signature you're looking for

Jump to Post

05.05.2013 10:46am

Rain
hip hop what what
Administrator

Well, we were pretty strict about posting standards. None of this "wats ur favrit FF gaem" nonsense around here. People would post like that, the community would ridicule them mercilessly for it, the mods would step in and close the thread or tell the person to write like a functioning human being. Then, either the person would shape up or leave. 

But then you had idiots who would throw a fit ("U R AFFECTING MY RIGHTS") and then we'd have a field day, culminating with an "okay, we've had our fun" and (usually) a banning. This is what they meant by "strict." I once registered on EoFF just to check it out (and because I heard SOLDIER had moved his wacky brand of insane over there after we [finally] banned him) and they basically had no standards whatsoever. The whole thing was an eyesore and the post quality was just atrocious. I never went back.

"Strict" is a nice way for them to say "they were kinda assholes over there," and in a lot of ways they were right and in a lot of ways they were butthurt morons. They can keep it, I say. I like that when I read a thread here I don't have to translate half the posts from txtspk to real words just to follow along.

Jump to Post

05.05.2013 2:43pm

amaron
No answer, must be that deaf bitch.

Indiana Jerico said:

Much as how I hate to make this comparison (because God knows I fucking hate NeoGAF's members), what the GAF mods are doing right now is basically what we were trying to achieve back then. I think most of the mods were just a bit too harsh then. But hey, we were the biggest FF fansite back then. I think there was no precedent with regards to modding a site that big, populated by people in their angsty hormonal years.

===

"Plans? What plans? I'm making this up as I go!"

I have to disagree a little bit, only because I don't remember any FFO mods being as cliquish and blatantly blind to rule breaking as the NeoGAF mods. One of the biggest rules that is supposed to lead to instant bans is trolling yet EVERY.SINGLE.THREAD about one console or another becomes a troll fest and only the "juniors" seem to get the bans.

And don't even get me started on "Junior". Classism masquerading as quality control.

Jump to Post

05.05.2013 4:43pm

CaButler
Winter Knight of the Unseelie Court

Rain said:

Well, we were pretty strict about posting standards. None of this "wats ur favrit FF gaem" nonsense around here. People would post like that, the community would ridicule them mercilessly for it, the mods would step in and close the thread or tell the person to write like a functioning human being. Then, either the person would shape up or leave. 

But then you had idiots who would throw a fit ("U R AFFECTING MY RIGHTS") and then we'd have a field day, culminating with an "okay, we've had our fun" and (usually) a banning. This is what they meant by "strict." I once registered on EoFF just to check it out (and because I heard SOLDIER had moved his wacky brand of insane over there after we [finally] banned him) and they basically had no standards whatsoever. The whole thing was an eyesore and the post quality was just atrocious. I never went back.

"Strict" is a nice way for them to say "they were kinda assholes over there," and in a lot of ways they were right and in a lot of ways they were butthurt morons. They can keep it, I say. I like that when I read a thread here I don't have to translate half the posts from txtspk to real words just to follow along.

Oh, wow.  I remember SOLDIER.  To think I defended that guy a couple of times.

*shakes head in shame*

Jump to Post

05.05.2013 5:58pm

Ashilyn
Career GM

I don't think it's possible to FORGET SOLDIER, in all fairness. That's an experiance that indeliably imprints itself into your mind. That said, I don??t really remember FFO being too strict. I think there were a few moments in the later years where I was like ??...really??,  but generally if someone got banned there was a pretty good reason/they were asking for it anyway. Hell, the fact that we kept a standard was part of the reason I stuck around the place. Not having your IQ lowered while reading the posts does a lot for making a place feel inviting, a standard sadly not many communities I tried to get into in the 90s/first half of the 00s really lived up to.

Plus, I mean, between stuff like SOLDIER, ELMYRA, Capt. Action, Depression Moon, and everything in between, it was pretty god damn hilarious.

Jump to Post

05.05.2013 6:46pm

Blayze
Registered Member

I remember signing up to EoFF at one point (I still get a happy birthday e-mail once a year from them I believe) but leaving after a couple of posts because the quality of the forums was just so poor. Back when I first signed up for the FFO forums in 2003 I rarely strayed from the Final Fantasy and other gaming sections, and think it was a couple of years before I started to post in General Chat, which is a shame because I missed a lot of the shenanigans people fondly remember. My favourite forum moment was April Fools in, I want to say 2006? With the mass bannings and new sub-forums and moderator wars, one of the few times I've ever found myself constantly checking a forum to see what new posts had been made.

As for the strictness debate, Soul Hunter and Indiana Jericho moderated a lot of the gaming sections and they always seemed laid back. And while Rain was on the strict side, this also created some of the more entertaining forum moments - I remember getting into a couple of arguments with him in my very early days, and I think after a while I kinda reasoned to myself that he could be an asshole, but he was our asshole And as a community, there was some collective pointing at and ridiculing of the stupider intruders, but I'm pretty sure people were always asked nicely to not type like a moron/double post etc, and it was only when they took exception to this that the lynchings began.

Crazy to think I've spent half of my life on FFO in some way.

Jump to Post

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter