Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Community Discussion  >  General Discussion

The Final Fantasy Fansite that changed thousands

< Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 Next >

05.05.2013 7:35pm

Dh
Not in the face!
The Alpha and the Omega

And for the record, I'm not bashing EoFF or other sites. Good for them and their success. I just found it interesting that FFO was mentioned in the article, referenced by activity in its senior years, yet the screenshot of the site is from its infancy.

I made this for you!

Jump to Post

05.05.2013 8:09pm

Atma Weapon
I Am Pure Energy

FFO in the mid 2000's had a very special vibe.  Incredibly intelligent and mature for a gaming website.  I visited some similar sites and they were incredibly juvenile and sloppily managed in comparison.  The strictness of the moderators was a key ingredient to that culture, even if it seemed harsh to outsiders.

Take the riddle community as a case in point.  We kind of turned into our own clique with our own site, but no other pop culture fansite I've seen had anything like it.

Jump to Post

05.05.2013 8:15pm

Kaiser
aka Nick Walker/Disdain

This is a Kotaku article though after all. It would be interesting though to have someone take the time to write the history of FFO, important people, milestones and the like.

I mean shit, I've seen wikipedia articles that cover less meaningful stuff.

Jump to Post

05.05.2013 10:18pm

Brash

I find it facinating that throughout the artcile, FFO is used as a sort of a gold standard by which all other Final Fantasy fansites are judged, however every comparison inevitably finishes off with, "But EoFF surpassed FFO in every way." Really? In what way? How do you quantify a fansite's success? Membership numbers? Unique visits? Because in all honestly, that's all shit. It's entirely about the credibility, reputation, and integrity of the site.

FFO was replete with that. EoFF, however, was not.

Jump to Post

05.05.2013 11:16pm

kirbenvost
Give Life Back To Music

Blayze said:

I remember signing up to EoFF at one point (I still get a happy birthday e-mail once a year from them I believe) but leaving after a couple of posts because the quality of the forums was just so poor. Back when I first signed up for the FFO forums in 2003 I rarely strayed from the Final Fantasy and other gaming sections, and think it was a couple of years before I started to post in General Chat, which is a shame because I missed a lot of the shenanigans people fondly remember. My favourite forum moment was April Fools in, I want to say 2006? With the mass bannings and new sub-forums and moderator wars, one of the few times I've ever found myself constantly checking a forum to see what new posts had been made.

As for the strictness debate, Soul Hunter and Indiana Jericho moderated a lot of the gaming sections and they always seemed laid back. And while Rain was on the strict side, this also created some of the more entertaining forum moments - I remember getting into a couple of arguments with him in my very early days, and I think after a while I kinda reasoned to myself that he could be an asshole, but he was our asshole And as a community, there was some collective pointing at and ridiculing of the stupider intruders, but I'm pretty sure people were always asked nicely to not type like a moron/double post etc, and it was only when they took exception to this that the lynchings began.

Crazy to think I've spent half of my life on FFO in some way.

This was pretty much me as well.  Joined earlier, missed out on fun probably because I came along in the middle of a massive banning (SOLDIER maybe?) and was too scared to post outside the FF discussion section.  Imagine the fun I could've had!  Ah well, good times came later.

I'm surprised there's still this much animosity between communities though.  C'mon gais, y cant we al jus get along?  lolz1!

Jump to Post

05.06.2013 4:34am

maximus asinus
Registered Member

Atma Weapon said:

FFO in the mid 2000's had a very special vibe. Incredibly intelligent and mature for a gaming website. I visited some similar sites and they were incredibly juvenile and sloppily managed in comparison. The strictness of the moderators was a key ingredient to that culture, even if it seemed harsh to outsiders.

Take the riddle community as a case in point. We kind of turned into our own clique with our own site, but no other pop culture fansite I've seen had anything like it.
the riddle community is part of my fondest FFO memories. It was what attracted me to FFO in the first place.

Jump to Post

05.06.2013 2:06pm

FenixDown
The King's orders are absolute

Yeah, a lot of my early memories of FFO revolved around the riddle community. My earliest online friends stemmed from that group, some of which I'm still in contact with to this day. And when the mods decided that the increasing number of riddle threads needed to be addressed, we all handled it like adults without any bannings or ridicule.

I dabbled a little in the creative writing forums at times too. A couple of my earliest fanfics were posted on FFO back in I want to say 2003 or 2004. They aren't anything I'd want to dig up though. I do remember however many years ago being used as a character in Soul Hunter's revised version of his Substitute Saviors FFVIII fanfic. That was pretty cool, I used to do that sort of thing with my friends from the riddle community on the site we ended up creating. 

Let's Play Chrono Trigger
Let's Play The Legend of Zelda A Link to the Past
Let's Play Final Fantasy VI

Jump to Post

05.06.2013 5:31pm

Lexx
I know how they work

I started posting back in 2000, and while I was intimidated when I first began, that's more because I'd never posted on a forum before.  The only strictness I remember was in regards to spelling and grammar, which I appreciated.  And eventually R=U was deemed unmentionable and all threads about it were locked.  Again, something I appreciated.

I do remember the banhammer being swung an awful lot during the last few years that we were still decently active.  While that might've hastened FFO's decline a little bit, I think it was inevitable due to the rise of Wikis and how the Final Fantasy series turned to fetid shit.

I still come here every day though.  You lunatics have got me hooked.  FFS 4 evar!

Jump to Post

05.06.2013 5:51pm

kirbenvost
Give Life Back To Music

Yeah dude.  Now get posting, everyone!  I'm back and brought a couple others, it's time to party!  I can almost hear the tumbleweeds.  Do we need some spam topics to get things going?

Jump to Post

05.08.2013 1:50am

Dr Squirrel
medicine woman

i've been with ffo/ffs/third age online for over ten years now and i'm still one of the new guys.  

trust me, i'm a doctor

Jump to Post

05.08.2013 3:45am

Darth Howie
Darthpool
Administrator

Does Third Age Online still exist? That was weird. I actually played that game when it dropped to $10. Never thought I'd actually be able to fight the Great Eye on top of Barad-dur. I thought some hobbit was supposed to drop a ring somewhere or another. But nope, turns out people can teleport to the top of the tower and hack Sauron up with conventional weapons.

Woe unto he who tries to be helpful, for upon him shall be lain the burdens of all.

- Squall 15:11

Jump to Post

05.10.2013 12:14am

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

wow we got an influx of all the ol school ffoers. This is awesome!!!

Jump to Post

05.10.2013 1:26am

kirbenvost
Give Life Back To Music

And then they left because they deemed it boring. XD

Jump to Post

05.10.2013 1:41am

Crono
Crono can cross dimensions too!

We're too old and boring.  Except in real life where half of us are alcoholics and can still throw down.  Except we're usually in bed by midnight.  And the hangovers are worse.  ....GET OFF MY LAWN YOU YOUNG WHIPPERSNAPPERS! 

Currently Playing: Dark Cloud 2: 3 hours.
Also Playing: CT, FF VI, Solatorobo, Secret of Mana, Halo 4.
Just Finished: Fable II: 7 hours.

Jump to Post

05.10.2013 1:58am

kirbenvost
Give Life Back To Music

Technically, if they're the oldschoolers, shouldn't they be even older than us?

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter