Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Gaming Discussion

Adventures in Skyrim (Elder Scrolls V Official Thread)

< Prev 1 2 3 4 ... 10 Next >

11.09.2011 6:56am

Clowd Cole
Dangerous Zombie

Why cant friday be here now?

Buggle Up! Danger! Danger! (Genocide!) Death the Crisis! Dangerous Zombie!

Jump to Post

11.11.2011 8:09am

Dr Squirrel
medicine woman

THIS SHIT IS JUST FUCKING BANANAS

god i hate this pc interface bug though

if you change controls, the buttons it tells you to push are displayed wrong

trust me, i'm a doctor

Jump to Post

11.11.2011 9:01am
Thread Creator

Rhaegar
World Warrior 21007

I always play on default, so that's one bug I'm dodging.

And I think I'm already having a LOT more fun with this in 2 hours of play than I ever had in Oblivion, period. Just some quick notes so far:

- Combat took a little getting used to, but once I did get used to it, it kinda has a more visceral feel to it. It's kinda hard to explain, but melee combat definitely feels a lot more like Fallout 3/NV than it does Oblivion. A lot more controlled, if you will. For the most part, the finishing moves haven't actually been all that distracting. Definitely less so than in Fallout 3/NV.

- The skills/perks/leveling system, so far, is every bit as intuitive as I figured it'd be reading about it. Feels good to actually pick up and play the damn game without having to take a fucking spreadsheet out for every level-up and making sure you boost this skill and not this skill, etc. The move to simplify the attributes to Magicka/Health/Stamina was a good move, I felt. Skills have always been more important in TES as far as what you can actually do, anyway.

- I've been taking every damn One-Handed Perk (related to swords) I can as soon as I qualify. Offense wins.

- Obviously I haven't gone so far into the game to judge this on the whole, but conversations feel a lot more natural, even if so far the dialogue isn't going to make you check Bethesda's basement for any kidnapped Obsidian writers.

- Lockpicking like Fallout 3/NV's. Love it, even if it does seem a bit more strict than in the Fallouts.

Now back to playing!

Jump to Post

11.11.2011 2:16pm

Clowd Cole
Dangerous Zombie

My copy should be here about midday, but I have to work so I wont get to play until tomorrow. ;-;

Jump to Post

11.11.2011 7:06pm

Kellios
Yikes and away!

^ What Clowd said. Granted, I'm getting the 360 copy, but I'm very excited to play it.

I won't suffer too much from not playing previous Elder Scrolls games, will I?

Jump to Post

11.11.2011 7:53pm

Big Tall
Taller Than Tall

^ Not at all. There's certainly a lot of lore and such you can delve into, but you won't be lost by not touching any previous Elder Scrolls game. The stories rarely cross over except for a mention here and there of what may have happened in another part of the world hundreds of years ago or so.

Jump to Post

11.11.2011 8:28pm

Darth Howie
Darthpool
Administrator

Taking a chance on this game.  So far, it's worth it.

Woe unto he who tries to be helpful, for upon him shall be lain the burdens of all.

- Squall 15:11

Jump to Post

11.11.2011 10:49pm

Amer
pew pew pew

Love it so far. I love that feeling you get when you just find crap and you're like "OH THATS SOO COOL"

Jump to Post

11.12.2011 1:30am

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

Kellios said:

^ What Clowd said. Granted, I'm getting the 360 copy, but I'm very excited to play it.

I won't suffer too much from not playing previous Elder Scrolls games, will I?

All the games are very self-contained and have their separate heroes. You'll see events of the past games mentioned as lore in in-game books and such, but they're all set far enough apart from each other where they're not connected outside of being in the same world.

I really want this game, but I can't decide between 360 and PC versions. ;; Which is better? Obviously PC version has mods, but I'm not really sure how well it will run on my comp compared to a console.

Jump to Post

11.12.2011 2:56am

Clowd Cole
Dangerous Zombie

I got to play about 16 min bfore work and it was amazing!

Jump to Post

11.12.2011 5:08am

Dr Squirrel
medicine woman

I cannot wait for the first bug fix patch.  The controls on PC are just ass backwards.

Jump to Post

11.12.2011 7:31am

Ashilyn
Career GM

Onyx said:

I really want this game, but I can't decide between 360 and PC versions. ;; Which is better? Obviously PC version has mods, but I'm not really sure how well it will run on my comp compared to a console.

The PC version looks better, but you need a pretty nice rig to get into those higher graphics settings, even if you only need a low end one to play it, and has a really asinine control setup that was obviously an afterthought after the console controls were done. But it also has mods and will get patches sooner. The 360 version gets the DLC a month sooner and controls better, but won't get as many patches or get them as fast. Both cost $60. It's a bit of a crapshoot.

Honestly? Unlike Oblivion or Fallout 3, besides the lacking choices in hair I have yet to encounter a moment were I think "Man, this would be a lot ebtter with mods" - Bethesda has really learned their lessons from Fallout 3 and Obsidian's work on New Vegas. At this point, I'm thinking the 360 has just the slightest bit edge, without the need to worry about your rig for decent graphics and framerate, better controls, and earlier DLC. You could always do what I'm doing - buying it on 360 and fidning other ways to get the PC version - be it waiting for a steam sale, or going through other channels.

That said, having plaid the game, here's my basic summery of it - if Fallout 3 was "Oblivion with guns", Skyrim is "Fantasy New Vegas" - it's a much better built, written, and designed game than Oblivion, and Bethesda really addressed some of the issues with the series. And for the first time in an Elder Scrolls game, I actually feel the desire to go through main story missions, both because they're interesting, and because, like Fallout, the whole thing is presented with enough impetus to get you to keep going through it as you do the many, many sidequests.

Jump to Post

11.12.2011 8:40am

Dr Squirrel
medicine woman

I don't think Skyrim will have the degree of overhaul mods Oblivion did.  I just want a Bag of Holding mod and some fix for these goddamn controls.

I ALSO JUST FIGURED THIS OUT:

If you're like me and the majority of your first ~20 hours of playing is literally making and remaking characters over again (man what if this guy had a blind eye?) the game autosaves just before the "Who.......................................are you?" line where you make your character so you don't have to cart ride every time you want to change the shade of your character's hair

Jump to Post

11.12.2011 12:09pm
Thread Creator (Edited on 11.12.2011 at 12:20pm)

Rhaegar
World Warrior 21007

The PC version does have native 360 controller support, just so you know. But anyway, I must be the only one who's gotten acclimated to the PC controls. *shrugs* 

However, I did arrive at my first really annoying glitch: Arrows and projectiles permanently stuck in your character. Apparently I'm far from alone, either, as a quick Google search for "Skyrim arrows stuck in character" revealed. It's not turning me off from playing, obviously, but it is pretty damn goofy.

Jump to Post

11.12.2011 1:58pm

Clowd Cole
Dangerous Zombie

Yeah the PC controls are pretty wonky. So I just ordered me one of the wireless controller adapters for the PC. Ive been meaning too for a while, but I guess it was finally time. XD

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 2 3 4 ... 10 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter