Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Gaming Discussion

E3 2014

06.11.2014 12:56am

Rhaegar
World Warrior 21007

The Wii U went from a "probably not" to a "yes, in 2015" for me.

On the other hand, in the battle of PC vs. PS4 for my first next-gen priority, PS4 just won thanks to Final Fantasy Type-0 finally being localized and upgraded to lovely, lovely HD. Also Grim Fandango remake (exclusive). And I also need to get something next-gen before Assassin's Creed Unity hits.

Jump to Post

06.11.2014 5:46am

Spoony
TEH DISCORD CREW~

The only real "HOLYSHITYES" announcement for me this E3 was Kirby and the Rainbow Curse.   Canvas Curse was brilliant, and the thing that sold me on the original DS.  It's about goddamned time it got a sequel. 

Jump to Post

06.11.2014 6:45am

Areas
Formerly Kenshin

The Order has been delayed until 2015.  I'm looking forward to Dragon Age Inquisition though.  I'm also a fanboy so I'll be picking up Last of US Remastered as well. :|

Jump to Post

06.11.2014 7:34am

shooter_mcgavin
Registered Member

I can see this generation being a PS4 + Wii U combo. Of course I will get the PS4 first but start to load up on Wii U games in the process. All I need to wait is for some sale or price drop then I can purchase the Wii U.

Jump to Post

06.11.2014 3:25pm

Id82
Fuck Shit Stack.

I think after this E3 I definitely want to get a PS4 and definitely want a Wii U now after seeing the sequel to Xenoblade in action.

Jump to Post

06.11.2014 6:41pm

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

Dont all Zeldas have an open world...? Im confused. Is it just going to be bigger? That would be awesome to play a zelda with map four to fives times bigger than Hyrule. (empty water or air doesnt count, talking about land area)

Sooo stoked for Xenoblade 2 which appears to be a sequel set way in the future.

Jump to Post

06.11.2014 8:19pm

Rhaegar
World Warrior 21007

It's apparently open world in a contiguous sense. Think Skyrim (or any other Elder Scrolls game).

On a completely unrelated note, lol @ Ubisoft's lame attempt at an excuse for not including female Assassins in Unity.

Jump to Post

06.11.2014 8:27pm

resare
Exceptional narcissist

Yes, because the reality is there's a big conspiracy and Ubisoft hates women.

Jump to Post

06.11.2014 8:35pm

Rhaegar
World Warrior 21007

Nice straw man.

No one is calling "conspiracy," but even if the "reason" it gave WAS legit (and other devs have said that it's NOT), it sure sounds rather shitty that female characters in a multiplayer mode in 2014 would be that low on the list of priorities.

Jump to Post

06.11.2014 9:32pm

Big Tall
Taller Than Tall

Berserker elephant is tired of your shit.

Jump to Post

06.11.2014 9:35pm

CaButler
Winter Knight of the Unseelie Court

Big Tall said:

Berserker elephant is tired of your shit.

So is that the elephant that Michael Bay employs?

Jump to Post

06.11.2014 10:56pm

Id82
Fuck Shit Stack.

Spidey said:

Dont all Zeldas have an open world...? Im confused. Is it just going to be bigger? That would be awesome to play a zelda with map four to fives times bigger than Hyrule. (empty water or air doesnt count, talking about land area)

Sooo stoked for Xenoblade 2 which appears to be a sequel set way in the future.

I think its because all past zelda games especially skyward sword were just areas you explored where you went from one area to another with loading screens in betwen and weren't just big open maps. Wind waker kind of went in this direction but yeah most of that world was a giant ocean with not much on it. I think they want to try and make hyrule a huge world in this one where if you see a mountain in the distance you can actually walk to that mountain and so on.

So Xenoblade 2
Spoiler: Move your mouse over the container to reveal.
Is supposed to be taking place way after the adventure of Shulk and Reyn after the new world they built after they killed Zanza? If so I'm interested in seeing where they will take that idea because Xenoblade felt like it had decent closure.

Jump to Post

06.12.2014 12:48am

resare
Exceptional narcissist

Rhaegar said:

No one is calling "conspiracy,".

I dunno.

Jump to Post

06.12.2014 2:56am

Zo
another blue ribbon

Games companies like money. Triple-A games are expensive. Therefore, triple-A games have to play it safe, hence nostalgia, sequels and new IPs that do their best to remind you of other, established franchises (looking at you, Watch Dogs). So when a franchise like Assassin's Creed chooses not to include women as playable characters, it's not because Ubi hates women, it's because someone out there has crunched the numbers and decided that it would make them more money not to. Which is deeply fucked up, but in ways that are difficult to complain about on Twitter.

But this is why indie games exist. I just finished Transistor and that game has a female lead and up to three queer characters and none of that is a big deal but all of it makes sense for, and impacts upon, the story in some way. And that's amazing. I want more of that please. I feel like indie games with diverse characters start making serious money is when game devs will sit up and take notice. Hashtag activism... not so much.

Jump to Post

06.12.2014 3:28am

Kellios
Yikes and away!

Zo said:

Games companies like money. Triple-A games are expensive. Therefore, triple-A games have to play it safe, hence nostalgia, sequels and new IPs that do their best to remind you of other, established franchises (looking at you, Watch Dogs). So when a franchise like Assassin's Creed chooses not to include women as playable characters, it's not because Ubi hates women, it's because someone out there has crunched the numbers and decided that it would make them more money not to. Which is deeply fucked up, but in ways that are difficult to complain about on Twitter.

THANK YOU. I've been trying so hard to keep out of this conversation, because there's so much more to consider in development to include women or not other than, "Hurr, we keep bitches as background bitches." The industry, whether you like it or not, is a business. Businesses want to make money, and yes, that often means going the safest route.

Not to mention pipeline implications of creating all the additional assets needed to have a well received female character. Yes, they could just give her the male animation sets, but then everyone would bitch and complain how manly she looks. Either way, developers don't win, and I personally would rather have a solid, developed female character than one who has been half assed and rushed to get into the game. 

Does it suck? Yeah. A lot. I want more female protagonists, I want more representation of my gender in my games. But I understand it too - Ubisoft wants to make the best and most polished game they can, and I can tell you it's never, ever an easy decision to cut out something ike that. If you think they made that decision lightly, then please kindly go stick your head into some sand. 

And no, you can't make the argument, "But games X, Y, Z all have females in them!" Different games, different genres, different engines, different developers, different pieplines. What works for one game won't necessarily work for another. 

Not to mention, gamers now are all, "HURR 1080P, 60FPS OR FUCK YOU" isn't helping matters. That extra computing power has to come from somewhere. We're still so early in this console generation, and developers are still trying to figure out the kinks of the systems. Ubi had to make an incredibly hard decision. And hindsight is always 20/20. 

Jump to Post

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter