Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Gaming Discussion

Game pet peeves.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 Next >

11.21.2011 6:55pm
Thread Creator

Sturm
Registered Member

So what about games piss you off? Whether it be trends in gaming, AI, controls. Not limited to anything, just a general bitching thread.

I recently started playing Mass Effect 1 on a fresh file on hardcore difficulty, and the thing that pisses me off most about it is suicidial AI. This is a game that tries to be cover based but none of that really matters if the AI is just going to charge you with little to no regard about their own survival. O look three Krogans are charging me, guess I'm fucked.

Another one that's been annoying me lately is tilt controls. I got frustrated with this in the new Zelda with things like the beetle flying and diving from the air. Nothing is worse than flying the beetle halfway across the room and then missing a switch because you were slightly off target. Then I started playing Super Mario Galaxy, the race on that manta ray. Holy shit, I failed to that a dozen time with a handful of the times with the finish being in my view.

At this point in time, I figured game companies had figured that it's a shitty way to control things and would just limit those things to being controlled to joystick movement. Look at Uncharted, in the first game grenades and balancing on ropes are both controlled by tilt of the controller, but you can't find it in any of the sequels.... I wonder why?

It's just such an imprecise way to control things. 

So tell me, whats pissing you off.

Jump to Post

11.21.2011 7:12pm

CaButler
Winter Knight of the Unseelie Court

Quick Time Events.  They we're fine for stuff like Dragon's Lair and (maybe) Shenmue. Now, there's no point in them.

Jump to Post

11.21.2011 7:30pm

Luna
dangerous lady

I'll second that QTE mention. The one at the end of Parasite Eve made me boil over in serious RAGE.

Also, RARE DROPS.

And random encounters.

Jump to Post

11.21.2011 7:46pm

FenixDown
The King's orders are absolute

Motion controls for actions that could just as easily, if not moreso, be done with a button. I second the tilt control peeve to some extent, it's more of a case-by-case deal for me.

Rediculously rare drops.

High random encounter rates. I don't mind random encounters so much in general, but I do like to get more than three to five steps in before the next fight, especially if I'm lost in the dungeon I'm in.

Instant death spells/techniques in games where if the main character dies, it's game over. By extension, games that give you a game over if the main character falls in battle, even if other party members have revival abilities or items available.

Let's Play Chrono Trigger
Let's Play The Legend of Zelda A Link to the Past
Let's Play Final Fantasy VI

Jump to Post

11.21.2011 7:49pm

CaButler
Winter Knight of the Unseelie Court

Oh yeah, high random encounter rates.  it's one of the few things I don't like about Skies of Arcadia, it's ridicously high encounter rate.

Jump to Post

11.21.2011 7:50pm

Clowd Cole
Dangerous Zombie

QTE are the worse thing ever made for a video game.

Buggle Up! Danger! Danger! (Genocide!) Death the Crisis! Dangerous Zombie!

Jump to Post

11.21.2011 8:23pm

Catastrophe
I'm Catbug!

Faulty camera. Outrageous difficulties. Rare drops. Sticky controls.

Jump to Post

11.21.2011 8:35pm

Testament
Shamshot

Random rewards from random chests.

Jump to Post

11.21.2011 8:41pm

Luna
dangerous lady

CaButler said:

Oh yeah, high random encounter rates.  it's one of the few things I don't like about Skies of Arcadia, it's ridicously high encounter rate.

Oh man, I've only played Legends, but I assure you that that game has NOTHING on FFIV, at least the Complete Collection version (haven't played the SNES original in so long that I don't remember how bad it was, and I never touched the DS version). More than once I got a grand total of TWO STEPS before another encounter. The rage was strong in me when I played that.

Jump to Post

11.21.2011 11:16pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

[Party Leader Dead] = [Game Over]

Especially when multiple party members have the ability to rez allies.

Jump to Post

11.21.2011 11:39pm

Rhaegar
World Warrior 21007

Luna said:

Oh man, I've only played Legends, but I assure you that that game has NOTHING on FFIV, at least the Complete Collection version (haven't played the SNES original in so long that I don't remember how bad it was, and I never touched the DS version). More than once I got a grand total of TWO STEPS before another encounter. The rage was strong in me when I played that.
It was bad in the SNES original, too. However, the encounter rate for FFIV is steps-based, so there's a certain degree of control you can exercise with it. Namely, stagger your steps. Two or three steps, pause, go again, repeat. It's not a perfect way to avoid random encounters, but it will cut down on them.

You know, I do wonder why I still love FFIV as much as I do (even playing both it and The After Years recently). It really does have a lot of elements I absolutely cannot abide in just about any other RPG (high encounter rate, killer enemies in said encounters, RARE FUCKING DROPS).

Another thing that bothers me, from playing Skyrim: No retraining/respec of abilities (perks in Skyrim's case). One glaring flaw in an otherwise great game and system. No excuse for a game this day and age where you customize your character's leveling to not have some respec system.

I was going to say level scaling and random treasures, but recent, better-designed games (Fallout: New Vegas, Skyrim) have been a lot more intelligent about incorporating these than the likes of Final Fantasy XII or previous Elder Scrolls games. (It helps in Skyrim's case that Smithing and Enchanting are actually good systems.)

Jump to Post

11.21.2011 11:50pm

Crono
Crono can cross dimensions too!

High encounter rates (hell RANDOM encounters in this day and age...), rare drops, and obscene difficulty spikes.  I don't really mind QTEs but I've only played a hand full of games that have them so that's less of an issue with me.

Currently Playing: Dark Cloud 2: 3 hours.
Also Playing: CT, FF VI, Solatorobo, Secret of Mana, Halo 4.
Just Finished: Fable II: 7 hours.

Jump to Post

11.21.2011 11:57pm

Atma Weapon
I Am Pure Energy

reido said:

[Party Leader Dead] = [Game Over]

Especially when multiple party members have the ability to rez allies.
I remember lamenting this on my Persona 3 play through this summer. I usually kept the main character aligned with the same element Persona as the enemy. Which basically made him useless offensively, on difficult fights at least. Sure, you can stagger a couple monsters with single targets, then switch to defense. But f one misses, and then you get one shotted, it's infuriating.

I detest RPG battle systems with timed button pressing (like Shadow Hearts or Legend of Dragoon). Mario RPG was the only one I liked. Also strategy RPGs in general.

Jump to Post

11.22.2011 12:17am
 (Edited on 11.22.2011 at 12:24am)

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

I agree with everyone who says high encounter rates and party leader = dead. I hate how this is a trend nowadays.  Xenoblade has a fantastic balance where PL can die, and as long as your party members have enough "MP" left to revive you, they will do so and you continue, but if they don't, then it is game over. It's still annyoing that you can't just switch, but at least it's not plain stupid.

I also hate when all the best scenes and character development are bonus content and missable. See SO1/SO2 private actions. Yes I like the PA system but the way it's executed is pretty dumb, you sometimes have to randomly walk across the planet at a critical moment ni the story to see some of the best scenes. This would be OK if they weren't SO EASILY MISSABLE. Seriously the window to see these things is so small there's nobody I know who would have seen them without a guide or spending 200 hours revisiting every town after every single story scene in the game. This is one of the reasons I prefered SO3 as most of the best private actions aren't missable.

The other thing I hate is status spells that don't work on any bosses in the game. if they aren't gonna work don't include them in the game.

OH and i HATE enemies that operate outside the physics of the battle system, removing the importance of strategy and planning and emphasizing leveling and getting lucky. See FF12's "hey this enemy is just randomly invincible". This also applies to non RPGs where baddies suddenly break the physics system for no rhyme or reason.

Jump to Post

11.22.2011 12:20am

OrionHardy
Otherworld

Fallout 3, when it would randomly spawn relatively strong baddies after a difficult story mission.

Great men aren't everywhere, just where it counts.

If you ever see me online playing Halo, join me please.

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 2 3 4 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter