Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Gaming Discussion

Wii U, PS4, X-Box 720...

01.31.2012 5:37pm

The Joker
Infernal Spawn of Evil

Zubis said:

NIntendo don't allow transfers at all - if your Wii dies you loose everything.

https://www.wired.com/gamelife/2010/05/black-wii-upgrade/
I'm pretty sure that if you Wii dies you can send it to Nintendo and they'll transfer all data for you. It's what all the people I know have had this happen to them have done.

Jump to Post

01.31.2012 6:16pm

Catastrophe
I'm Catbug!

NO MORE DLC.

Of course, that's a naive pipe dream that'll never happen. If I pay for something once, I shouldn't have to keep paying for it. Bloody hell.

Jump to Post

01.31.2012 8:36pm

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

I haven't spent one penny on DLC. You don't need to. As bad as the DLC issue, there are so many good games in existence, you can completely skip any game that requires any to be purchased, or at worst skip the DLC itself.

Jump to Post

02.01.2012 12:49am

Crono
Crono can cross dimensions too!

There are two games I payed for in DLC: Mass Effect 2 and Bastion.  ME2 I bought all on dirt cheap sale and Bastion was $1 and I've gotten 3 hours out of that particular buck.  ME2 I would have loved to not payed for it but still, I'd say worth it.  I will NEVER buy mappacks on CoD games or the like though.

Currently Playing: Dark Cloud 2: 3 hours.
Also Playing: CT, FF VI, Solatorobo, Secret of Mana, Halo 4.
Just Finished: Fable II: 7 hours.

Jump to Post

02.01.2012 1:40am

KyleIII
Registered Member

I don't understand the view of DLC as something you 'have' to buy. I've basically always seen it as a continuation of expansion packs, which have been around forever. If its a game you enjoy, then DLC gives you the option of getting more of it, often for a very reasonable price (especially in this era of Steam sales).

Obviously bad DLC should be avoided, but that goes without saying. I'd much rather have a system where I have the option of buying high quality stuff like Lair of the Shadowbroker or any of the New Vegas DLCs to expand games I enjoy that are already complete experiences on their own.

Jump to Post

02.01.2012 3:20am
Thread Creator

Clowd Cole
Dangerous Zombie

Im with Kyle on this one.

DLC can be shit (Horse Armor), but many times is great stuff. Hell the GTA4 DLC is so much better then the acutal game.

Now day one DLC thats not free should be destoryed though.

Buggle Up! Danger! Danger! (Genocide!) Death the Crisis! Dangerous Zombie!

Jump to Post

02.01.2012 3:21am

Darth Howie
Darthpool
Administrator

The key thing is that some DLC feels like it should have been part of the original game.  L.A. Noire's DLC, for example.  Mass Effect 2's DLC was all pretty damned good though.

I want 100% backwards compabitility with previous consoles.  Period.  If not hardward based, at LEAST let me pay $30 to download a software based emulator so I can finally get rid of my older consoles.  I'm sorry, but keeping my PS2 around forever is simply not feasible. 

Otherwise, I just want games that justify the purchase price.

Woe unto he who tries to be helpful, for upon him shall be lain the burdens of all.

- Squall 15:11

Jump to Post

02.01.2012 4:23am

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

It's funny how people forget that games are so much cheaper now than back in the day, especially when you adjust for inflation.

Not saying that anyone here's doing it, it just amuses me when I see statements on various forums that are like "games are too expensive I miss the 16 bit days." Well, if you want to go back and pay for $80 Chrono Triggers and $100 Phantasy Star 4s, be my guest.

Also, more DLC like Rock Band and Mass Effect 2. Less like anything Namco Bandai and Capcom have done. Writing off DLC altogether is completely foolish, IMO. I can't imagine Rock Band being nearly as awesome as it is without its DLC support.

Jump to Post

02.01.2012 4:31am

Crisium
N/A

Zubis said:
Sony only allow content on two consoles, but also allow a transfer to happen online in case your console dies.

Last I checked, you could download your games on five consoles.  It's how to "share" games (let a couple of your friends have your account password and download your games).

Jump to Post

02.01.2012 5:25am

amaron
No answer, must be that deaf bitch.

Onyx said:

It's funny how people forget that games are so much cheaper now than back in the day, especially when you adjust for inflation.

Not saying that anyone here's doing it, it just amuses me when I see statements on various forums that are like "games are too expensive I miss the 16 bit days." Well, if you want to go back and pay for $80 Chrono Triggers and $100 Phantasy Star 4s, be my guest.

Also, more DLC like Rock Band and Mass Effect 2. Less like anything Namco Bandai and Capcom have done. Writing off DLC altogether is completely foolish, IMO. I can't imagine Rock Band being nearly as awesome as it is without its DLC support.

My parents paid $60 for Final Fantasy III through Fingerhut when it was released.

Jump to Post

02.01.2012 3:22pm

Colinp42
Registered Member

Crisium said:

Zubis said:
Sony only allow content on two consoles, but also allow a transfer to happen online in case your console dies.

Last I checked, you could download your games on five consoles.  It's how to "share" games (let a couple of your friends have your account password and download your games).

They changed it.  Maybe a couple months ago?  Can't remember.  You can still keep playing games on 5 consoles that you bought before the change happened though.

Jump to Post

02.01.2012 3:34pm

Catastrophe
I'm Catbug!

Darth Howie said:

The key thing is that some DLC feels like it should have been part of the original game.

And that's my point. I'd never spend one cent on DLC. When it's simple things that could (and should) have been easily included in the final build of the game, it's just a blatant cash-grab by the big companies.

Jump to Post

02.01.2012 5:08pm

Revrick
Mind your P's and Q's

I'm pretty against DLC, but I'm used to growing up with expansion packs. It's also the reason why I avoided owning an xbox/360 over the years, since their games were the mecca of DLC content. I guess I had a bad introduction to it since the first time I got dick dirty in it was with an old pal who bought every bit of DLC imaginable for all his 360 games (Fable 2, Ninja Gaiden, Oblivion). And all I saw was either a waste of money for skins for your horse (oblivion if I recall) or a bunch of map packs and dungeons that should have been in the original game. Always left a sour taste in my mouth.

In the realms of games I'm a slave to, aka Fallout, I inevitably got all the DLC through some means or another. I liked Fallout 3's extra content, but that was only because of how much I loved the original game and took it for all its worth. New Vegas was such a buggy piece of shit that by the time I beat it I refused to sit down and go back for total exploration or what have you. Then the DLCs came out and it actually functioned as a real game. I played almost all of the extra content for it, scornfully, but that was a prime example of shit that should have been in the main game. Gah, I don't even want to start in on New Vegas.

I dont know, the longer this generation of consoles has trekked on, the more it's pushed back into the arms of PC gaming. My buddy and I joke that the last real Wii game (skyward sword) is technically the first Wii game, since it's the only one thus far to take complete control of the motion controls and put the hardward to the test. That took nintendo 5, 6 years to do? I don't have much hope for the future of consoles.

Jump to Post

02.01.2012 5:28pm
 (Edited on 02.01.2012 at 5:46pm)

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

I'm not against DLC altogether, I just have too many games to play that I don't need to spend extra money to continue playing a good game when I need to move on to the next.  I just have too huge of a backlog of games. The original Okami is something I just bought a little while ago, but can't play until I play through Bastion and Skyward Sword. I was starting to catch up on my backlog until I spent 250 hours playing Xenoblade without needing any DLC.  I don't feel the urge to pay an extra 5 dollars on any other game's DLC unless it is miles better than all of these games (yeah right).  It's just a personal situation as I don't have as much time for video games anymore, so it's really easy to avoid DLC.  There are a just few "can't live without games" I gotta get each year and maybe I'm lucky but none of these ever seem to have any necessary DLC.

Games definitely used to be way more expensive before the medium went to disks, though PS3 games in particular are just as expensive as most SNES games.  I paid 59.99 for my brand new copy of FF3 on SNES - that's the same damn price of FF13 for PS3 when it was released. You could count inflation but to be fair you'd also have to adjust for enmployment, the international strength of the dollar, average wages, different sales tax, and tons of other things to really get a real comparison. When it boils down to , even with inflation, 60 dollars now could mean more to a family than 80 dollars did in 1995. I don't know the figures and by no means am I an economist, but just saying inflation itself isn't the whole picture.

CT and a few other titles definitely had a higher price tag like 80.00. Square Enix tax dates back older than we remember. I remember Virtua Racing was a whopping 100.00. I'm thinking the people complaining about games being expensive now are younger and may be refering to the golden PS1 era where everything was 39.99.

Jump to Post

02.01.2012 5:41pm

The Joker
Infernal Spawn of Evil

When it comes to DLC, Bethesda > all in my experience. Fallout 3's DLC outclasses New Vegas' and Shivering Isles is still the single greatest DLC of all time.

Jump to Post

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter