Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Gaming Discussion

Zelda: Skyward Sword

< Prev 1 ... 10 11 12 Next >

02.21.2012 10:35am

Murasame
HALE YEAH

I still don't understand how people have issues with the motion controls. I played the same way I played Twilight Princess and it felt more or less the same, except for the swordplay. Even then, I still wasn't making huge motions.

Jump to Post

02.21.2012 3:12pm

Amer
pew pew pew

When I started playing SS, I was sitting down and not exactly square to the TV/sensor bar, kind of off to the side. 

Things mostly worked, and then I got to that first "boss fight" where how you were swinging the sword really mattered and things just weren't working out at all. I went through it three times until I finally stood up in front of the TV and did it, and suddenly all my motions were coming out perfectly. 

I don't know if it's just me or what, but that's the only way I can get the sword motions to come out accurately. I'm using the special edition wii motion plus remote that came with SS. 

It's why I've not finished the game and I don't play it very much. I just don't feel like standing. Maybe if I moved the motion bar up to the top of the TV it would work better when I'm sitting, but then I'd have to tape it up there or something. 

Jump to Post

02.21.2012 4:19pm

Colinp42
Registered Member

That's probably exactly my problem, though I haven't tried standing up yet.  My couch is flat against the wall and my TV's at an angle, so I'm not straight on to it.  And I also had no problems until the first boss fight.  It's not like it would NEVER work, but it would work so infrequently that a couple times I've worked on that boss for over 15 minutes before getting fed up.  I'll have to try standing.  Or I wonder if just trying to angle the sensor bar would work?

Jump to Post

02.21.2012 4:46pm

Atma Weapon
I Am Pure Energy

As long as you recenter the remote frequently, it shouldn't matter if you are directly in front of the tv. MotionPlus uses the translation and rotation relative to the zero point. I instinctively sat up and faced the screen for intense scenes and boss fights. Maybe that helped me.

Jump to Post

02.21.2012 5:26pm

Sturm
Registered Member

I recentered the wiimote frequently, and whenever I needed precise control, specifically sword play and sky diving, I had to stand up to get the motions across.

During sword play makes it sort of more epic against bosses, but after having to do it on regular enemies, it just got annoying.

Jump to Post

02.21.2012 6:49pm

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

Mine works perfectly whether i'm standing sitting or even laying down. The only problem I have is the nunhcuck stick suddenly gets stuck in one direction for some reason and I have to reset it all the time.

Jump to Post

02.27.2012 9:06pm
 (Edited on 02.27.2012 at 9:12pm)

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

Man this game is easy so far. Im in the desert finished 3rd dubgeon a bit ago and I have yet to be stuck. I hope the puzzles are more challenging soon. One thing I do like is that you seem to use all your tools in the dungeons rather than just the one you just got. That's a real nice change of pace from every other Zelda.

Edit: Whatever happened to our posts merging when I double post and i'm the last poster? O_o

Jump to Post

02.27.2012 11:49pm

Atma Weapon
I Am Pure Energy

The game never really gets hard  That's not what makes it great. They are challenging enough to keep you engaged in the stellar gameplay.

The only puzzle that really stumped me was the final dungeon, and the solution was beautifully simple once I figured it out.  Probably the most ingenious in-game puzzle I've ever seen.

Jump to Post

02.28.2012 12:27am
 (Edited on 02.28.2012 at 12:33am)

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

To be honest I don't really play Zelda for gameplay, the main draw for me are the puzzles and figuring 'em out. The gameplay's just a nice bonus, as it's more fun to have a game of puzzles filled with gameplay to break the monotony of just solving puzzles, rather than vice versa.  So far I have figured out the solutoin to all the puzzles before they even started. For example in this Lanaryu desert area,  as soon as I got the claw with a hook on it, I instantly knew I had to pick up all the bombs and drop them into the bomb holders. No thinking involved at all. And I'm not trying to brag, I'm sure most everyone figured this out without a thought.  Zelda's never had super challenging puzzles in the third dungeon, but you'd usually have to go back and forth between several rooms and look around and try a few things before the solution came to you. I'm hoping you are just a genius and the puzzles are getting more involved other than one in the final dungeon. We'll see as I go through.

It's still a fun game, but I'm a bit dissapointed to hear the puzzles won't get too much more involved from here on out . I actually did think the 2nd dungeon was pretty tricky at parts, but that third dungeon was a ridiculous breeze...I took me about 15 minutes to do the whole thing!

Jump to Post

03.06.2012 5:44am
 (Edited on 03.06.2012 at 6:28am)

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

Now this game's really starting to get on my nerves again.  I'm trying to draw this damn circle on this wall in Faron Woods but my hands aren't steady enough to make a perfect circle. This is bullshit!!  I could draw perfect circles in Okami using even a PS2 controller.

EDIT: I switched to my left hand because I'm left handed ( Apparantly some of us have to hold the Wiimote with the wrong hand to play your game properly. Never thought I'd see that one. ) But even with a well drawn circle I stlll can't get past this. What gives? I'm living a one inch diameter between the circle I'm drawing and the smaller crescent, just like in the image shown in the other part of the woods. 

EDIT: Finally got it.  That was BS.  Sometimes my circle wasn't good enough, other times I think I was letting go A really early because i drew a perfect circle too fast. Apparantly you have to keep holding A even when you are done drawing your circle til the "time" runs out.... 

Jump to Post

03.06.2012 11:34pm

Atma Weapon
I Am Pure Energy

It feels really weird to read reactions that are anything other than 40 hours of unbridled joy.  I suspected that the game wouldn't be for everyone, but I thought it was spectacular in just about every phase.

Jump to Post

03.25.2012 11:47pm

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

So I finally beat it and got all the heart pieces and Goddess Cubes. I had alot of frustrations with the motion controls but once you get pastt he learning curve it's quite a good game. I would have probably complained a lot less had they provided more in depth tutorials of how to properly use the controls.   The puzzles got better and more interesting later in game, especially as someone said in the last dugeon, but overall I felt the puzzle challenge a bit too easy.  The NPCs were great and the last boss was THE MOST FUN LAST BOSS BATTLE I can remember in any video game I've played, especially replaying it and trying to beat him without taking any hits, it's supppper fun.

The game placed a bit too much emphasis on combat and too lack on puzzles. A lot of the puzzles were just beating the baddies, which was fun, but there was too much of a it for my tastes.

The overworld was super empty as well.  The bird went way too slow, and there weren't enough islands with anything significant on them. More places like Pumpkin landing would have done wonders for the game.

Overall it's an excellent Zelda title, I'd place it as my 4th favorite behind TP, LTTP, and OOT. 

Jump to Post

04.04.2012 10:37pm

kirbenvost
Give Life Back To Music

Similar thoughts, but I foudn the last boss to be too easy to be much fun.  I beat him the first time without even realizing what the trick was.  I wish they'd made Hero Mode available from the beginning.  That said, aside from Wii Motion glitches (needing to recalibrate periodically), the gameplay was a ton of fun and the world and characters were great, as was the music and art style.  I feel like this (or OoT) is what Zelda should be.  I do wish it was bigger, the time-travel aspect was more fleshed out, and there were more enemies, but overall it was a wonderful game.  They added a lot of stuff that should be standard from now on, especially the dash/stamina ability.  When I first heard about it I was skeptical but it was perfectly implemented and I felt like it added a lot to my enjoyment of the game.  The first time I made Link dash up a wall I was amazed.  The sense of humor in this one was good too.  Skyward Sword really reminded me and cemented in my mind that Zelda is my favorite game series. :)

Jump to Post

04.06.2012 3:34pm

Atma Weapon
I Am Pure Energy

I will be slightly disappointed if Nintendo goes away from motion controls on Wii U Zela.  But, I do think that's the way it is headed, because of the Wii Ucontroller design.  Here's hoping they do some awesome things with the dual screens.

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 ... 10 11 12 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter