Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Role Playing Games

Either Star Ocean 5 or SO4 WiiU edition?

12.12.2012 3:55am

amaron
No answer, must be that deaf bitch.

HAHAHAHAHA.

Square-Enix at its finest.

Jump to Post

12.12.2012 10:06pm

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

Clowd Cole said:

Square really is stuck in the 90s. A countdown for a god damn browser game. *Shakes head*

that's an insult to the 90s sir!  we were never excited about browser games back then either.

Jump to Post

12.12.2012 10:18pm

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

I wish Square was stuck in the 90's. The games they made were actually good back then.

Jump to Post

12.13.2012 4:51am

shooter_mcgavin
Registered Member

I can't wait Eidos to reboot Legacy of Kain so they can show Square Enix how to do a current gen RPG. It seems Square Enix proper is so scared in developoing a current gen RPG that they use portable and mobile devices as a cover.

Jump to Post

12.13.2012 9:27am

Lews
Lord of the Morning

Onyx said:

I wish Square was stuck in the 90's. The games they made were actually good back then.

a thousand times this.

Jump to Post

12.17.2012 5:58am

shooter_mcgavin
Registered Member

Onyx said:

And this is why no one takes Square Enix seriously anymore.

I do ... Deus Ex was my GOTY last year .... (see what I did there ;) )

Jump to Post

12.17.2012 9:19am

Rhaegar
World Warrior 21007

Uh, Deus Ex: HR was only published by Square Enix.

Jump to Post

12.17.2012 3:45pm

Ashilyn
Career GM

But is was developed by Eidos, who Square Enix owns. That'd be like saying that inFAMOUS or Sly Cooper aren't Sony games. So, yes it is a Square Enix game. Just one made by an American xompany instead of the Japanese Division. 

shooter_mcgavin said:

I can't wait Eidos to reboot Legacy of Kain so they can show Square Enix how to do a current gen RPG. It seems Square Enix proper is so scared in developoing a current gen RPG that they use portable and mobile devices as a cover.

I can. I'd love to see new Kain games, but without Amy Hennig and a bunch of the other key members of the Soul Reaver team who have either moved on or died since Defiance came out, the series will never be as good. Also, uh, Legacy of Kain was never an RPG. It has more in common is Zelda style Action/Adventure games than it ever has RPGs.

Jump to Post

12.17.2012 4:29pm

shooter_mcgavin
Registered Member

Rhaegar said:

Uh, Deus Ex: HR was only published by Square Enix.

That was the joke :-(

Ashilyn said:

I can. I'd love to see new Kain games, but without Amy Hennig and a bunch of the other key members of the Soul Reaver team who have either moved on or died since Defiance came out, the series will never be as good. Also, uh, Legacy of Kain was never an RPG. It has more in common is Zelda style Action/Adventure games than it ever has RPGs.

But it was classified as an RPG back in 1996. In fact it was EGM's RPG of the year back in 1996 beating out Suikoden and Super Mario RPG (who can imagine that now in hindsight)?

Jump to Post

12.17.2012 4:34pm

Ashilyn
Career GM

And EGM is wong, and has been before. It wasn't an RPG. It was Gothic Vampire Zelda. ANd no, Zelda isn't an RPG. It's an Action/Adventure game.

Also, I'll admit to liking LoK moere than either of those games. BUt that's a discussion for another day.

Jump to Post

12.17.2012 4:46pm

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

Blood Omen is also vastly different in just about every way from the later LoK games.  Even then there wasn't much that was RPG-ish about the game. More in common with Zelda than anything.

And the Soul Reaver games weren't even close to being RPG's.

Jump to Post

12.17.2012 6:15pm

shooter_mcgavin
Registered Member

Regardless Legacy of Kain could easily fit in as part of the growing library of Western RPG's we are getting now. I can totally see a reboot work in similar fashion with The Witcher. Fable, or Kingdom of Amalur as far as play style is concerned.

Jump to Post

12.17.2012 8:43pm

Ashilyn
Career GM

God, I would hope not. All three of those games are kind of awful. I'd rather LoK stick to evolving what it already does well. But with new teams, who knows.

Jump to Post

12.17.2012 10:13pm

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

I'd rather LoK be what it is (hack and slash action-adventure games with puzzle solving)  instead of genre shift to a WRPG. Not everything needs to be an RPG.

Jump to Post

12.18.2012 12:45am

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

I think when people say Square Enix games are bad, they are referring to Square Enix developed games, not Square Enix owned games. . Yeah, we all know Square Enix owned games can be good, like ones developed by Eidos. But games actually developed by the Square Enix division of Square Enix, no they suck. We just don't want to be wordy when referring to "Square Enix."

Jump to Post

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter