Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Role Playing Games

Either Star Ocean 5 or SO4 WiiU edition?

12.18.2012 2:52am

shooter_mcgavin
Registered Member

Onyx said:

I'd rather LoK be what it is (hack and slash action-adventure games with puzzle solving)  instead of genre shift to a WRPG. Not everything needs to be an RPG.

So Darksiders then? Yeah I can live with that.

Though LoK's setup does have a ton of opportunity to create a WRPG with a ton of depth. Or at least some RPG elements, like what Mass Effect 2 did. They focused more on the shooter aspect but had just enough RPG elements to balance the game out.

Jump to Post

12.18.2012 3:44am

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

I only played LoK part 1 and 2 but it didn't feel anything like a western rpg at all. no dialogue choices, no actual role playing really

Jump to Post

12.18.2012 4:02am
 (Edited on 12.18.2012 at 4:07am)

Ashilyn
Career GM

Just because you have the opprotunity doesn't mean you have to take it. Not everything has to be an RPG, just like not everything has to have multiplayer or co-op, or whatever other comparison you want to use. And honestly, I wouldn't even use Darksiders as a comparison. Darksiders is VERY combat focused. The puzzle solving is very much tertiary to the combat and the exploration. LoK, on the other hand, tends to be more about puzzle solving and exploration, with combat heavily deemphasised in most of the games (Blood Omen 2  and Defiance are more traditional action games than the other games in the series, making exploration the tertiary element behind combat and puzzles).

Not to mention a lot of WRPG paradigms and tropes run pretty counter to the spirit of LoK. It would be pretty detrimental to series to force those conventions, and without some of them there's not really much point.

Though I still think people who consider Mass Effect a shooter with RPG elements are insane. It's an RPG through and through. Shooting just happens to be the combat engine. Though I guess that, too, is a discussion for another time.

Jump to Post

12.18.2012 4:32am

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

ME1 was the most RPG-ish of the three games. ME2 and 3 definitely went into Roleplaying Shooter terrirtory, though.

Jump to Post

12.20.2012 5:44pm

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

And as much as I love RPGs, the gameplay in ME 2 and 3 are way better

Jump to Post

12.20.2012 6:16pm

shooter_mcgavin
Registered Member

Agreed ... ME2 and 3 were more streamlined RPG experiences. Meaning they took away all the excess no one really cared about and just stuck to the core RPG elements (like equipment, leveling up, dialouge and choices).

Jump to Post

12.20.2012 6:54pm
Thread Creator

Crono
Crono can cross dimensions too!

I'm replaying the series from scratch with the female lead (always did male Shep) right now and I forgot how much ME2 DRASTICALLY improved on the gameplay.  The story of 1 is the better experience but my god it's an entirely different game with respect to gameplay. 

Currently Playing: Dark Cloud 2: 3 hours.
Also Playing: CT, FF VI, Solatorobo, Secret of Mana, Halo 4.
Just Finished: Fable II: 7 hours.

Jump to Post

12.21.2012 1:56am

shooter_mcgavin
Registered Member

Mass Effect 1 was kind of overrated from what I remember, the gameplay wasn't very good and the game didn't really show the consequence of your actions. The story was also pretty weak and only started getting going around the end.

Jump to Post

12.21.2012 2:10am

Ashilyn
Career GM

shooter_mcgavin said:

Mass Effect 1 was kind of overrated from what I remember, the gameplay wasn't very good and the game didn't really show the consequence of your actions. The story was also pretty weak and only started getting going around the end.

Well, of course it wasn't going to show consequences of choices. It was only the first game in a purported trilogy. But the consequences of your actions were also never the point.

Also I love how this is turning into a Mass Effect thread XD

Jump to Post

12.21.2012 5:14pm

Big Tall
Taller Than Tall

^ Better than a thread talking about Star Ocean 4, kay? Kay? KAY?

Jump to Post

12.21.2012 5:27pm

Ashilyn
Career GM

That's a very valid point.

Jump to Post

12.21.2012 6:02pm

Big Tall
Taller Than Tall

I had fun playing SO4, and will go back to it at some point to finish off achievements and such, but it's not exactly a game near the top of my list for recent RPGs.

Jump to Post

12.21.2012 6:38pm

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

One of the great mysteries of the universe for me will always be that people had problems with Lymle but none with Sarah. I will never, never ever understand this. My brain literally hurts when I try to comprehend such a concept., that unique/sweet little girl = bad, but cliche and horribly voice acted teen = good

Jump to Post

12.21.2012 6:42pm

Big Tall
Taller Than Tall

Any problems I had with Sarah, which all revolve around the voice acting, are outweighed by Lymle's voice acting. Sarah isn't far behind the little girl in the "Oh, shut the fuck up!" rankings though.

Jump to Post

12.21.2012 7:50pm
Thread Creator

Crono
Crono can cross dimensions too!

You know, on my first run of SO4 I hated Sarah's VA more but for some screwball reason on my second run it didn't bother me as much.  I think I just convinced myself that the VA was trolling so I found a little humor in it. 

I still don't understand the hate towards Meracle; the girl is fucking hillarious. 

Jump to Post

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter